DMC with Rifle and Tea

Dalos

Day 60 here. Was just thinking how great i've been doing in avoiding any wolf or bear interactions. I think i had just gotten lucky. Also the revolver early really helps, although i don't even have it with me anymore.

got jumped at the Milton gas station bc i had to use the crowbar to open the door.

image.thumb.png.35980e497673542fbd6cc0a3200d48d7.png

got wolfed after harvesting a second deer. Right near the little swampy area where the moose sometimes spawned. Never seen a wolf there before.

anyway, he got me down to about 40% condition. Need to start hunting for birch again. I am going to wait for decent weather and then do the Muskeg transition, ridge area. I think there are some birches there.

i did kick his butt later when he followed me into the cave though. Small consolation.

image.thumb.png.f2464015c45e30cf8dc07acb2fb2c35b.png

Day 73 - camp office. you will notice i have a little bit of an issue going on.

yeah. am at cooking 4.80 or whatever and i got the parasites. I doubled up on bear meat out of necessity and now i am sunk. i do have some treatments but not enough at this point. plus, i will need food and plenty of safe space to recover.

shit.

image.thumb.png.b70b6f7d0f06e35e4d40657de4e8cd34.png

• Upvote 1

ok, need to figure some stuff out. I have some antibiotics but not enough. I need mushrooms. I also need food and a safe place to sleep for when the sickness gets really bad.

i could try to stay in the mystery lake cave and fish for my supper but I suck at that. Plus wolves.

camp office isn't near food and trappers is now pretty far. plus wolves.

i took my sick butt to the ravine again. shrooms there and i can get lucky with some deer maybe.

image.thumb.png.daae5dbb2f6bd43c75ac9ec77c71e99e.png

Day 5 with the parasites. Had to go out hunting bc food. Went wolf hunting near the dam. Got wolfed in the process. Fended him off with my hatchet.

Slept a day, didn't find his corpse. But i did bag another dear near the river and brought all 9 KG back to my cave home.

just a few more days left of sickness. It gets tougher now though with the fatigue.

image.thumb.png.40bc29d34ab8a4e73351e0c8cc9b7c98.png

Guest jeffpeng

This is pretty much "Sleepwalking" as @BareSkincoined it. I still think it's one of if not the best way to play the game. Hard, challenging, but seriously rewarding. Adding guns to the game is a nice touch. I've been thinking about making a new series, and I guess it'll be something along these lines. Maybe reduce item decay significantly, since I really don't like how I feel I have to make unreal pace just to have a decent chance to get my gear.

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2021 at 3:35 PM, Dalos said:

ah, it preserves the condition of the meat for quite a long time. It doesn't matter once you hit cooking 5 but until then it helps.

Silly question - is it different from just dropping the meat on the ground outside? I've been playing a good bit but never at levels or situations where I took much note of the differing behaviour between where I store my stuff.

that is a very good question. I did a little experiment at the TWM hut. i had a stone storage thing created and cooked up some deer meat. at great personal hunger risk. i left one 100% condition steak in the stone storage and another laying on the icy ground.

after about a week, the storage meat was at 86% and the one stored in the snow was at...86%.

anecdotal evidence for sure but it would appear that when the weather is cold enough, the meat is cooked (at least at cooking 4) then it makes no difference.

ugh, and i have been building these storage things on every run too.

16 hours ago, Dalos said:

anecdotal evidence for sure but it would appear that when the weather is cold enough, the meat is cooked (at least at cooking 4) then it makes no difference.

I've done a lot of testing of meat decay over the past few years and always found there are just two decay levels - indoor and outdoor.  The rate of decay is different for cooked and raw meat (raw decays faster), but outside is outside, whether the meat is left on the ground, in a rock cache, car trunk, corpse, or any other container.  Same indoors - doesn't matter if food is left on the floor or in a fridge or cabinet, same rate of decay (most food decays much faster indoors).

One exception is quartered bags, which decay at the same (fast) rate inside or outside.

There are some places that are warm but count as outdoors for food decay:  The enclosed porch in the Pleasant Valley Farmhouse and the back of the 2-layer caves (caves without a loading screen where it's warmer in back).  Meat dropped in any of those places decays at the same rate as outside in the snow.  Also, sleeping or passing time in the back of those caves is good for preventing/fixing cabin fever, but counts in the stats as "hours indoors".

Edited by MrWolf

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2021 at 10:12 PM, jeffpeng said:

This is pretty much "Sleepwalking" as @BareSkincoined it. I still think it's one of if not the best way to play the game. Hard, challenging, but seriously rewarding. Adding guns to the game is a nice touch.

Well, yes. The reason behind is strictly the same: starvation hack can make things boring and unrealistic and loper sleeping recovery is too high, but sleepwalking was really imposing on you a run to a Forge. Here since firearms exist the playstyle can differ in various ways, there is more freedom. That may make it a bit easier, but also more fun and diverse.

Had it been possible at that time, I would have played Sleepwalker with only revolver activated (is it possible nowadays?), the rifle is quite a game-changer. Anyway, all those customs have starts that are really harsh to survive. Thanks for sharing @Dalos! Reporting my sleepwalking runs took a lot of time so I appreciate your dedication for this topic. I am reading it late but it has the same taste!