DMC with Rifle and Tea

Dalos

Ok, i basically stopped played my existing deadman game because i hit the 30 days and only had a slight interest in playing it out as long as i could go. While playing it i thought of a few ways to make it "better", i.e. a little more realistic. You should be able to recover from injuries somewhat. The problem is that the nightime healing factor, even on Loper is just too rigged. It's basically no problem to starve all day, eat a rabbit and some tails at night and wake up to full health.

so scratch that. i am playing with the regular dead man code (8MHI, etc.) but i am turning on the rifle and birch bark tea crafting.

i want the rifle to switch things up a bit. Since it is so heavy and ammo is scarce, you still have to be judicious with shots. i didn't want to follow the same pattern of, spawn, get some clothes and then make a harrowing journey to a forge for arrows. Plus, it isn't like you start out with the rifle anyway.

and birch bark is fine because you still have to find and cook it and it only heals you 4-5% anyway. On regular DMC you're scared to go out in any kind of weather because if you freeze a little bit, that 10% lost isn't coming back.

I also wanted to give a shot to playing with the calorie perk because that rabbit thing was useless like a third nipple.

Gonna try playing this run until i get cooking 5. in my experience, once you hit that just about all needs are met and you can manage long term survival pretty well and the smart play is to make a home and start turtling. At least that's what i would do if i lived on a remote Canadian island.

image.thumb.png.6f0e547b66db3b26381ca60ea9a0d056.png

started on Coastal and got a little gift at the beginning.

image.thumb.png.f68259e2629404e018e5be0828983554.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the setting I want to try next, DMC with guns and (probably) birch bark. The goal will be to get one of each gun, then get to the BI milling machine.

Too bad you didn't score a crit with that crowbar. I heard a very satisfying *ding* once at the beginning of a very short wolf struggle I thought was the end :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Phew took a few weeks to play through the new map. I like it but always climbing is a wee bit harsh.

OK!  gonna try this again. Gonna try to make this a somewhat realistic run. DMC settings with only birch bark crafting plus the lowest daytime healing possible. No sleep healing. So not quite Deadman, obviously. I also want to survive 20+ days on each map to keep from camping.

and give me a rifle too dammit.

image.thumb.png.13cea0d8538a7af345833f37f32987a9.png

• Upvote 1

ok, will spare the gory details but my first few runs did not end well. They also didn't begin well either.

I started over and this time took the Firemaster and the Cold Fusion perks. Some say why bother with cold fushion on the interloper weather settings bc who cares about +2 degrees when it's -50. that's fine and dandy but on DMC+ settings the beginning of the game is all important. You have to stave off the freezing until you can get to shelter and some basic clothes.

anyway, i did get a decent start and found ok clothing. Even got the hammer and mag lens, but no hacksaw. Which means harvesting everything by hand which is brutal.

i picked up the bedroll and made my way up through the damn towards mystery lake.

currently holed up there with very little left in the way of food. not sure i can afford to wait out this damn blizzard.

image.thumb.png.551ae3a4b527aaa6b6fb352a7752c565.png

• Upvote 1

Day 4 i think. not starving yet but getting awful close. Made it through the lake and just briefly stopped at the cabin to warm for 1 hour.

weather ok, so on to the muskeg. I need a knife like Paul Hogan in the worst way.

gotta get to the other side and make a roaring fire before nightfall and fatigue sets in.

image.thumb.png.f5174ca27daa5ca4c88dbf405c545a09.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Yeah, made it to the forge, crafted hatchet, knife, arrowheads. Used my new knife to carve up some deer carcasses to avoid starvation. all good.

made it back to mystery lake in ok weather but got jumped by two wolves on the way to trappers. first one brought me down to 50% conditioning and the second one finished me off.

booooooooo!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

the real nasty about these settings is the fatigue. Want to cross a map? you better plan on having 2 sleepovers.

and yeah, the hunger setting is brutal too. It makes you do things like heading into Scruffy's cave because your hungry, not because you need any gear.

image.thumb.png.97f92226d458dc4b3511cc169ba8188b.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

took the river pass to get to the farm and hit a  blizzard, because of course. make a sharp right turn where i thought it was and somehow ended up in the first apple orchard, not the second. No idea how that happened as i've made this trek 100 times.

thankfully i realized i went right too early and found the road to the farm before i lost too much health. I did find one birch bark thing on my way down the mountain from the plane crash though. Hopefully another turns up shortly. No day time or nighttime healing.

image.thumb.png.533dcf0a027c1796dd01e66d474e3db0.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Day 7 now - made my way through PV, radio hut then the cave entry to the damn. Spent 1 night in the cave there, killed a bunch of rabbits and didn't actually run into any wolves.

Spent 2 nights in the damn because of two blizzards before heading on to the camp office. Decent weather throughout except on my way to the lookout. Been eating the occasional downed dear and lots of tails so far. Clothing, ok for day 7.

Even got the chance to read a few cookbooks. I need tools though so off to the muskeg.

• Upvote 2

Still day 7. Weather too good to pass up. I am just leaving poachers now. Can't see a thing but i am warm and snug. Can't afford to risk waiting it out in the camp and having a blizzard sneak up on me.

don't hear any bear noises but there's wolves in the distance for sure.

Also, make sure you check your inventory before making this trek. I remember leaving the heavy hammer all the way back at the dam. Yuck.

image.thumb.png.7892b9ed577219f34b36462a6a7cad56.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, DsnowMan said:

This is the setting I want to try next, DMC with guns and (probably) birch bark. The goal will be to get one of each gun, then get to the BI milling machine.

Too bad you didn't score a crit with that crowbar. I heard a very satisfying *ding* once at the beginning of a very short wolf struggle I thought was the end :)

Wow. Didn't know that you could crit a wolf with a crow bar...

• 4 weeks later...

On to Day 2. Made it out of HRV with a bedroll (yay). Still couldn't avoid freezing (boo).

didn't lose much health though. Just a reminder. This custom is everything deadman except there are rifles and there is birch tea crafting. No healing other than tea and stims.

Slept a night in the transition cave to Milton, then hit the little trailer, the church and finally the farm. Picked up a lantern at the trailer and then the heavy hammer and a crowbar (!) from the dead guy in the farm barn. Also, i have 4 dead rabbits on me and it's pretty impressive to see how quickly the wolves come after you when you've got the 3 smell scent bars full. This guy in the distance killed a rabbit, let me scare him away with a pebble and now he's back on my trail.

image.thumb.png.92b809b3931fcc1554eabd4d9b3a5a89.png

Day 3-5 spent in Milton looting and not finding much. Two windbreakers?

anyway, i got the heavy hammer so thinking of crafting early on this run. No hacksaw yet but i found 3 crowbars, 2 of which i can scrap for 4 metals.

Day 5 i spent in the little cave at the milton edge before the mystery lake cave.

now onto Day six, found not much useful at Trappers other than another hammer.

thick soup fog heading over to the Muskeg.

image.thumb.png.a0e2e27bc0d2ad94065d91f3b911a38d.png

Day and night 6 - forged it. made Hatchet, Knife and 10 arrow heads. Found the hacksaw on the way over but didn't need it because i found enough scrap, toolboxes and prybars.

Heading up in  big circle to Milton again. Gonna sleep in an interior cave on the way. No ranged weapons yet, because of course.

Planning on hitting my cured rabbits to make gloves in Milton and then braving HRV again to hopefully get the mack jacket. Kind of a long way to go but i need better clothing bc i have struck out on skijackets, etc. so far.

• Upvote 1

Day 8 - spent a night in the cave near marsh ridge. Even got the rope and hung it from the ledge. Killed some rabbits and got some birch.

Day 9 - made it up to the milton basis. Was planning on staying here a few nights to try and let me skins/hides/branches cure so i can head to HRV with a little bit of gear.

for that, i need food. which means running dear into wolves.

image.thumb.png.24e9d8a470f85afe316d450f42eccb79.png

• Upvote 1