backpack system

CornLuck

right now all you have is one backpack, which im not even sure how looks or how much it can carry. but it would be nice with the option to switch between different backpacks.

maybe you start with a dufflebag or a small sports bag and then you can find and loot bigger and better backpack that will help you carry more items.

if you have a large one with a lot of items then it should also increase the chance to twist your angle when walking.

• Upvote 3

I like this idea. Right now, there is no "backpack" - it is simply endless inventory. You can find backpacks around the world but those only serve as a small container. 

I do believe it would be very refreshing if the survivor started off with a small, limited backpack, and could find an later on even craft bigger, better backpacks. These would in turn limit the survivors mobility (the same way clothes do) but the game would be rebalanced so that the clothes itself cause less mobility issues to account for a bigger backpack. Basically giving the survivor an option to walk around in a hulking bear coat with a huge bearskin backpack on the back, but not even being able to sprint two meters. Small craftable backpacks would in turn provide various other options - some would be better for hunting for their mobility, some would have various stripes which would for example mean you can pull out your rifle faster. Just to provide some variety.

But I am not sure how realistic this change would be. It would require a lot of rebuilding of the current game to fit it in. Still, would be quite nice.

There is also the issue with "what happens when you drop your bag" - does all your inventory drop with the bag as well? That would make the backpacks essentially quite useful containers (but at the same time, I dont think thats a bad thing! You could have backpacks pre-packed for when you go hunting, for travels, for wood foraging, for fishing, and so on... not to mention being able to drop a backpack when it is neccesary, like when you are too encoumbered but are stalked by dangerous predators...)

There is a lot of cool potential in this idea!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mr. 0 said:

Backpacks could change count of squares of inventory grid so you have some volume simulation.

problem is stacking items (many pieces per one square in grid).

No stocking in thig game doesent work like that it would require a whole revamp to the storage system. everything that can stock items work with weight.

Edited by oplli

I dont know if i would like ot have more than 40kg of space. (with the sachel and the  well fed bunus). Those bonuses would be useless after that beacause we could always craft bigger backapcks. and after that if we do have a backpack update people will ask to be able to take the backpacks that are used as containers right now... i am not shure how well it would impact the game. 

i liek the game for its originality and i dont think the backpack idea would be true to the long dark :/ 

That is kinda the idea. Imagine crafting/getting a backpack that can hold 70kg of gear. You can stuff 70 kg into it. Well, good luck walking... even with the moose hide and well-fed buff, that is not possible.

Thus a backpack like this would really just be a container in itself.

@oplli

Think about it like this: even if you take off the backpack, you can carry 10kg of gear, for example (basically contents of your pockets and like a "built in" sort of storage so you could still have some minor gear you wouldnt put down if you put down your backpack...)

Then you would have various backpacks. The most basic one would have 15kg. You could find 20kg one, 25kg one, 30 kg, 40kg, 50kg one, etc.

So, with the 30kg one, you could at most carry 40 kg of gear. Not one stick more. If you get moosehide pack and well-fed bonus, you could carry 50kg of gear, not one bit more. 

Now, even if you have a huge backpack on, without moosehide and well-fed bonus, you would still be able to only wear 30kg of gear if you wanted to climb a rope. 40kg if you have both. Bigger backpack would simply give you the option to carry more then 40kg of gear, you would still be slowed down substantially, depending on your own weight.

Edited by Mroz4k

@Mroz4k

What you are suggesting is already the same thing that what is in the game right now but without backpacks. You can carry 30kg before overweight and 40 to 50 after overweight. If you have the well fed bonus and the hide sachel it is going to boost that to 40 kg before overweight and 50 to 60 after oveweight.

I dont think this is a great idea beacause now the packs would have a durrability wich I would hate I am pretty shure. The only thing I like is that you start with less weight capacity than right now but there is too much cons.

If I got to choose one thing from Wish list to be implemented in The Long Dark, this would be it. It would be really cool to be able to sort out different backpacks for eg. fishing excursion, hunting, short travel etc. The possibility of different backpacks would add complexity and would probably have me stay in a playthrough longer before getting bored. 

5 minutes ago, manolitode said:

eg. fishing excursion, hunting, short travel etc

It would be a useless thing to do. you dont take a 20kg backpack to go fishing and a 50kg one to go hiking. if you have a 50kg pack you will use it for everything.

It doesent even makes sense. if we carry 50kg in our backpack as @Mroz4k said, we will still be slowed down by a 50kg backpack (as we already do in the game if we carry 50kg of items. So where is the point? Besides of that if you get charged by a bear or a wolf the chances that your backpack will be riped of it pretty high... imagine fignting a wolf in the middle of Hushed river valley and then you win, but you have blood loos, you have 30% left and your pack is ripped off, 40kg of stuff just got dropped on the ground and you are unlucky, you dont have bandages in your 10kg pockets you have to find quickly a bandage in your 40kg pile of stuff that lays on the ground. Your matches, your wood, your rifle. everything valuable got dropped and you cannot make a move quicly to secure youself and heal that wound. Beacause you are in the middle of nowhere you cannot find a new backpacl to pick up your gear again. okay i choosed the worst situation but this mechanic will for shure lead to pretty ridiculous situations :D 

I dont think it would be a nice mechanic. it will just lead to unfunny situations and make the game easy as hell. imagine being able to carry your house on your back (in the long dark thats pretty much what yo ucan do with 50kg of space)? I would highly preffer new accessory items that helps with the weigh than a whole new revamped weigh system. We discussed about skiis in a recent topic and I this the idea is much much more interesting go check it out :) !

26 minutes ago, oplli said:

It would be a useless thing to do. you dont take a 20kg backpack to go fishing and a 50kg one to go hiking. if you have a 50kg pack you will use it for everything.

It doesent even makes sense. if we carry 50kg in our backpack as @Mroz4k said, we will still be slowed down by a 50kg backpack (as we already do in the game if we carry 50kg of items. So where is the point?

So one point is that you don't have to restructure your bag just because you change activity. You drop one bag and pick up another. Much much appreciated in endgame if you have one or several base locations. Probably less of a point to have plenty of bags in early game for that particular reason if you loot-migrate between regions. So, what's a point of a 20 kg backpack? Don't know, didn't mention different weights. I like this suggestion because it saves time and gives you opportunity to experiment with different gear setups for different activities. 

2 hours ago, oplli said:

All right but it is still the same problem. The wolf destroys your backpack and then you are overweighted as hell you still have to drop almost all your gear and we end up with the same problem. 

I understand if you don't appreciate the idea of durability on backpacks, personally I wouldn't rule it out as an option (could be a big time hassle, but hey it's TLD :). However, that was not what the author of this topic suggested and not what I was responding to in the posts above. 

• Upvote 1

Personally, I prefer the current inventory system as Hinterland has designed it.  I'm not in favor of other packs... or quickly dropping a pack full of our gear...

On the one hand, I think having different packs with different carry capacities would undermine having to carefully decided what we need to lug around with us, and what "extra" stuff we feel is worth the encumbrance.  I think this game is all about making careful and deliberate decisions, so prefer Hinterland's current system over the idea that's been suggested.

On the other hand (the idea being able to "drop pack" in an emergency), I think would also undermine the idea of having to carefully choose what we really need to bring with us (vs what we'd like to bring with us).  If we choose to carry a house on our backs... but then don't have to suffer the consequences because we can just quickly dump all of it if we get into "trouble;" I just think that would kill most of the necessity of carefully planning our treks to begin with.  That's why I'm not in favor of that aspect of the idea that's been put forth.  I just really don't like the idea of a "bailout mechanics" and/or "safety-net mechanics," and that is what it seems like to me.

:coffee::fire:
To me, being able to quickly dump inventory in the form of a "drop pack" mechanic and the idea of several different carrying capacities... (in my opinion) only serve to make life easier for the player; and I'm generally not in favor of things that make life easier for the player.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

To me, being able to quickly dump inventory in the form of a "drop pack" mechanic and the idea of several different carrying capacities... (in my opinion) only serve to make life easier for the player; and I'm generally not in favor of things that make life easier for the player.

For once, I agree with you :D 

Edited by oplli
  • Upvote 1

Bit of a twist here, but instead why not a full inventory system?  Different pants, jackets, coats, they all have different pockets and storage ability.  My BDU pants have 6 pockets and I've carried at least 20kg in them.  My hoodie not near as much, but still 1-2kg if I had to.  Why not have different pieces of clothing also have storage ratings, like filing cabinets and such.  Can make it easier to have it all accumulate into a big pool body inventory instead of individual "pocket" inventories, but it still makes more sense to me.  I might have marched with 30kg of gear on my back, but I had at least that much weight spread out around my body too.   Combine that with different size backpacks, so that you have both a body inventory and a backpack inventory.

Edited by Willbonney
spelling
  • Like 1

@Willbonney first i am not shure why you would want that. in the long dark your inventory isnt like any containers (when you put 15kg in a 15kg container you cannot put anything else, but when you put 30kg in your pack you can still easily have 10 or 15 kg more. And at a certain limit you cannot move) Having the "Container inventory" type instead of having The current inventory isnt going to do any good but I am going to weigh the prons and cons.

Prons:

- You like it, i guess thats a pron.

Cons:

-We will globally loose some Kg capacity, if we want to put an axe that weight 1.5kg in our cargo pants pockets that can carry 2kg but we also want to carry 75kg improvised knife i just lost 0.5 kg of space beacause I have to place my knife else where

-Finding something will now take soo long beacause our inventory will be soo messy. And dont say we could have a search bar beacause that would just be discusting and will not help you when you want to just see what you globally have inside you millions of pockets.

-We will no longer use the clothes for they warmth but for they carry capacity. there is not that much clothes with pockets inside, there are like cargo pants, hoodie, every coat (not including the furr ones). There is not that much hot clothes that have pockets if yo uthin kabout the wool sweathers etc etc. Combining the best clothes you can get for their carry capacity : Cargo pants, 2kg x2 + Hoodie 2Kg x2 + Skii Coat , 5kg x2 =  18kg.... so when you are tired you can only carry 9kg...That makes no sense. Thing about interlopper player who will have difficulties finding coats and will have to craft some. their carry capacity would be 8 kg when not tired and 4kg when tired, that makes no sense.

-The work the devs will have to put in that new inventory system would be extremely long (I would guess at least 6 months, but i am not an expert I just basically have an idea of the wotk that needs to be done) and for what? (for the prons listed higher).

-I wouldnt like it, this inventory would be more adapted to games like scum or pubg, not the long dark.

-It would only serve realism (like the backpack) wich is not necessairy. The system we have right now has no issues and work perfectly fine (of course it is my opinion but i am shure many others share the same). 

1 hour ago, oplli said:

Prons:

- You like it, i guess thats a pron.

I said it makes more sense to me, not that I liked it...

1 hour ago, oplli said:

Cons:

-We will globally loose some Kg capacity, if we want to put an axe that weight 1.5kg in our cargo pants pockets that can carry 2kg but we also want to carry 75kg improvised knife i just lost 0.5 kg of space beacause I have to place my knife else where

Get better clothes.  Or maybe have belts in the game you could hang stuff off of or holsters for knives, multi tools, and pistols.

2 minutes ago, Willbonney said:

Get better clothes.  Or maybe have belts in the game you could hang stuff off of or holsters for knives, multi tools, and pistols.

Yes but what for? we can already acess everything in the inventory.

Edited by oplli

1 hour ago, oplli said:

-Finding something will now take soo long beacause our inventory will be soo messy. And dont say we could have a search bar beacause that would just be discusting and will not help you when you want to just see what you globally have inside you millions of pockets.

Not in my idea of pooling together you body inventory stats for one main inventory, and having a separate backpack inventory.  Kinda normal for survivalists to carry on us what we specifically need to survive, (i.e. knife, fire starter, a day of water, fishing line and 2 safed hooks, etc) on our body or in our clothes.  The stuff that can help but isn't drastically necessary, that goes in a pack.  Packs get lost on the trail or left behind quite often.  It's extra stuff that sure, you'll miss having, but you can survive without.

2 hours ago, oplli said:

-We will no longer use the clothes for they warmth but for they carry capacity. there is not that much clothes with pockets inside, there are like cargo pants, hoodie, every coat (not including the furr ones). There is not that much hot clothes that have pockets if yo uthin kabout the wool sweathers etc etc. Combining the best clothes you can get for their carry capacity : Cargo pants, 2kg x2 + Hoodie 2Kg x2 + Skii Coat , 5kg x2 =  18kg.... so when you are tired you can only carry 9kg...That makes no sense. Thing about interlopper player who will have difficulties finding coats and will have to craft some. their carry capacity would be 8 kg when not tired and 4kg when tired, that makes no sense.

Not sure how that doesn't make sense.  The name "cargo pants" implies it allows you to carry, wait for it, more cargo!!!  You should be able to store more in them than say  a pair of ski pants or regular jeans.  And personally, if I were to make cold weather coat or pants, I'd definitely keep storage ability in mind when doing so.  You can carry quite a lot inside coats and in pockets and your body temperature keeps it from freezing in colder climates.  Innuit clothing in Alaska are a good example.

9 minutes ago, oplli said:

Yes but what for? we can already acess everything in the inventory.

So that the previously suggested "drop backpack" mechanic makes more sense, that you'd still be carrying some of your stuff around with you no matter if you carried that backpack or dropped it.

Just now, Willbonney said:

So that the previously suggested "drop backpack" mechanic makes more sense, that you'd still be carrying some of your stuff around with you no matter if you carried that backpack or dropped it.

I feel like we should find fixes for mechanics that dosent work instead of creating new mechanics to complete the mechancs that dosent work. it makes more sense and require less work.

1 minute ago, oplli said:

I feel like we should find fixes for mechanics that dosent work instead of creating new mechanics to complete the mechancs that dosent work. it makes more sense and require less work.

This is the "wishlist" part of the forums.  Guess maybe "wish" for all bugs and mechanics to be working 100%?  But that's not really this conversation...  A "wishlist" is what a player would like to see.  Not that he'll ever actually see it generally speaking.  Oh wait, can't say that.  I once "wished" for better tracks in the snow and viola, they happened.

Just now, Willbonney said:

This is the "wishlist" part of the forums.  Guess maybe "wish" for all bugs and mechanics to be working 100%?  But that's not really this conversation...  A "wishlist" is what a player would like to see.  Not that he'll ever actually see it generally speaking.  Oh wait, can't say that.  I once "wished" for better tracks in the snow and viola, they happened.

If you know that you idea isn't going to happend in the game why posting it?

and the wishlist isnt just to give ideas it is to discuss about ideas and finding if it is agreat idea or not.

31 minutes ago, oplli said:

If you know that you idea isn't going to happend in the game why posting it?

What content qualifies in this forum section according to your standards then? If someone wants to try out a suggestion (he even calls it "a bit of a twist") I say go for it.  

43 minutes ago, oplli said:

and the wishlist isnt just to give ideas it is to discuss about ideas and finding if it is agreat idea or not.

By responding and dicussing to an idea you may come to a conclusion that works on paper. But you can't foresee all the consequences that one modification in a game will bring to the whole ecosystem. Or what unanticipated strategies they may evoke. You'd have to implement an idea in order to evaluate it. And even then, you wouldn't be able to say that an implementation was a good idea. Because you, me and everyone else play differently. Even if the majority agree that something is great, that doesn't mean it is. You won't find out what's great and what's not. What you may find is opportunities to enhance someone's idea. Or axe it. Your choice.