Thoughts on a 'bathing' mechanic?

Robbiieeee

Thoughts on the idea of bathing in the game?

So I was thinking your survivor would get very dirty, grimey and stinky traversing the cold apocalypse and this got me thinking. You should have the option to bathe. But this could have some attributes to make it work. 

Over time your player should develop a scent (same way as if your carrying food) which attracts wildlife. A hygiene metre could help you keep track of this. If your hygiene reaches too low not only could you attract more wildlife but your are more susceptible to diseases when cut or bitten etc. To avoid this, you should be able to bathe in a house. A small bathtub (portable) could be added which you fill using your watersupply. A fire would be needed to heat the water ofcourse. This could also give way to add more plants in the game which could act as a cleansing mechanic when bathing. The option to clean your clothes could be with this idea too. Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

I don't really see how it is possible. it takes too much time to melt water and for the only purpose of being clean? nah in this situation it is not a necessity for the player. I thaught about being able to clean ourselves by voluntarily going through the ice but there is only 4 regions in wich we would be able to do so. I think some cleaning mechanics could be a nice touch but nothing like taking a bath is conceivable i think. Maybe every two or three weeks our character starts to have an affliction wich is dirtyness or something like that and you can solve that issue with a soap bar, 2L or water and a tissue ?

I had recently thought about this as well, in great detail. It would make the game more alive and would give a whole lot of new things to do in addition to the existing content for the sandbox. The hygiene is a great idea, but I dont think you really need to have it as a hygiene meter (players tend to dislike complicated HUDs). It could, in turn, work exactly like cabin fever, frostbite and hypothermia risk works. You would over time build up the risk of "bad hygiene" untill you got the affliction of "bad hygiene" which would not decrease your health like for example food poisoning does, but would increase a chance of infection from wounds, would make you smelly, would increase your exhaustion loss rate, and would decrease your condition recovery from sleeping (and ingame recovery if you have it enabled). In contrast, washing would decrease your exhaustion recovery rate, would increase your condition recovery from sleeping etc etc etc. Basically temporary buff that would work in contrast to bad hygiene.

I will explain my ideas on this same addition, but from my perspective, and in reaction to your post! But I like your idea overall!

The bath should not be portable. Instead, various houses and shelters would have it built into them as a part of their equipment. Some old houses could be reworked, some might even have the shower placed outside like Camp office, for example... if it would make sense.

The houses would have their own water circuit which would consist of toilets, sinks, heaters, and the bath or shower. These circuits would be partially filled when you find them. They would basically act like reservoirs of water, which you could tap into, you could put water in or take it out. The water in them would also freeze - in order to thaw it, and even heat it up, you would have to use fireplace or fire stove that is located inside of the house. By thawing the water out, you would actually increase the temperature inside of your home (heaters are filled with water and by heating it up, you would heat up the whole shelter), you could use the sinks to take out the water (same way you can do in toilets now, but you would need to heat it up first), you could take a shower of a bath, depending on the indiviual options of the various house.) You could take a hot, or a cold shower. Cold shower would make you very cold, easily freezing if you did it in an outdoors shower, but would boost your ability to withstand the cold temperatures of the outside better (temporary buff to "feeels like" temperature by like 2°C, like the current Feat we have in the game. Not major, but noticeworthy. In turn, hot bath or shower would cure hypothermia faster, would increase your temperature and would grant a buff the improved condition recovery and exhaustion rate loss. 

Each use of bath or shower would waste some amount of water from the reservoir. You could always replenish it with potable water you have melted. 

Eventually, hot water would go cold once the fire burns out, but would retain heat for quite a while, then would remain cold for some time before freezing completely over. Basically think of the current wetness mechanic of the clothing in game. To make use of it, you woudl need to thaw it again. This would promote a more casual use of the fireplace or fire stove in your base to keep the reservoir liquid and usable. While once you leave for a while to visit a different part of the map for a few days, you would return to a cold shelter of a home base with a frozen reservoir which you would need to thaw in order to make your base more homey. 

Now, the "sponge cleaning" mentioned there is something I also considered. It would basically be a makeshift way to prevend bad hygiene when you are out travelling. Would make a use of a tool like "sponge" or a "rag" which you soak with potable water and use to scrub yourself. It would cure Bad hygiene risk. It would not cure bad hygiene once it struck - which is why it would have to be handled regularly before it developed. The rag could be crafted from cloth.

This would add a new way to look at survival - as not only a survivor progression, but as your home-base progression as well. It would promote more usage of firewood which in turns mean you would be forced to go out and collect it more often, and from further away as your current location might not have enough to satisfy your needs.

I know some people prefer more nomadic type of survival. That in itself is not overlooked. This would simply mean you would pick to stop by some small houses who have small reservoirs and can be used to quickly heat up for the cure of Bad hygiene, or you would have to include scrubbing into your traveling routine. 

• Upvote 1

I read your text yesterday @Mroz4k and i didnt had the time to respond so excuse me if some of the information I will say is wrong i may have forgotten some bits.

first I would say that i appreciaet the whole idea but one or two thigs would need to be tweaked for the mechanic to be fun. I think that having some water reservoirs are a good idea and will make houses (if you live in) fell more like home. The best idea is the dirty and dirty risk affliction. I think though that only able to get rid of that affliction with the rag, water and charcoal, is necessairy. as you said maybe some nomadic people would need to get sometime to houses and clean themselves but what do you do about people that want to live in TWM or HRV?. you should be able to get rid of the affliction with the rag BUT cleaning yourself with a real shower would provide : A longer time before the risk show up again and a small condition bonus like the birch bark tea but a little less effective. that way you get a bonus if you do wash yourself with a shower. Second and last thing, I don't think that it is necessairy to full up the tanks with potable water. you are not drinking the water. i suggest it would be the same for the rag mechanic. Although if you have an infection or any external wounds it would wether make the risk bigger, (if there is no risk) add a new risk of infection, or directly give you an infection.

(a detail to add: the water tanks should be inside of houses (it would make sense and the water would not freeze)

I also like the idea that if we take a cold shower we will have a cold resistance bonus (maybe like 1C every cold shower you take and it can stack up to 3C) but if you take the cold shower you wont get the condition bonus. To heat up the water we could just throw hot stones in the tank (one per L of water) and once you finished the shower you can collect back the cold stones to heat em up again. To heat up the stones you could do something like throwing 5 stones in a pot full of water and wait until the water has boiled.

what do you think about those changes?

On 10/26/2020 at 9:27 PM, Mroz4k said:

I had recently thought about this as well, in great detail. It would make the game more alive and would give a whole lot of new things to do in addition to the existing content for the sandbox. The hygiene is a great idea, but I dont think you really need to have it as a hygiene meter (players tend to dislike complicated HUDs). It could, in turn, work exactly like cabin fever, frostbite and hypothermia risk works. You would over time build up the risk of "bad hygiene" untill you got the affliction of "bad hygiene" which would not decrease your health like for example food poisoning does, but would increase a chance of infection from wounds, would make you smelly, would increase your exhaustion loss rate, and would decrease your condition recovery from sleeping (and ingame recovery if you have it enabled). In contrast, washing would decrease your exhaustion recovery rate, would increase your condition recovery from sleeping etc etc etc. Basically temporary buff that would work in contrast to bad hygiene.

I agree. This is worth adding.

The houses would have their own water circuit which would consist of toilets, sinks, heaters, and the bath or shower. These circuits would be partially filled when you find them. They would basically act like reservoirs of water, which you could tap into, you could put water in or take it out. The water in them would also freeze - in order to thaw it, and even heat it up, you would have to use fireplace or fire stove that is located inside of the house. By thawing the water out, you would actually increase the temperature inside of your home (heaters are filled with water and by heating it up, you would heat up the whole shelter), you could use the sinks to take out the water (same way you can do in toilets now, but you would need to heat it up first), you could take a shower of a bath, depending on the indiviual options of the various house.) You could take a hot, or a cold shower. Cold shower would make you very cold, easily freezing if you did it in an outdoors shower, but would boost your ability to withstand the cold temperatures of the outside better (temporary buff to "feeels like" temperature by like 2°C, like the current Feat we have in the game. Not major, but noticeworthy. In turn, hot bath or shower would cure hypothermia faster, would increase your temperature and would grant a buff the improved condition recovery and exhaustion rate loss. 

Water in the water supply system is great.

Some buffs from this are also great.

By the time you heat up the plumbing, all the cold debuffs will have passed. It seems to me that hot water in the bathroom loses its meaning as a treatment.

Eventually, hot water would go cold once the fire burns out, but would retain heat for quite a while, then would remain cold for some time before freezing completely over. Basically think of the current wetness mechanic of the clothing in game. To make use of it, you woudl need to thaw it again. This would promote a more casual use of the fireplace or fire stove in your base to keep the reservoir liquid and usable. While once you leave for a while to visit a different part of the map for a few days, you would return to a cold shelter of a home base with a frozen reservoir which you would need to thaw in order to make your base more homey. 

Now, the "sponge cleaning" mentioned there is something I also considered. It would basically be a makeshift way to prevend bad hygiene when you are out travelling. Would make a use of a tool like "sponge" or a "rag" which you soak with potable water and use to scrub yourself. It would cure Bad hygiene risk. It would not cure bad hygiene once it struck - which is why it would have to be handled regularly before it developed. The rag could be crafted from cloth.

This would add a new way to look at survival - as not only a survivor progression, but as your home-base progression as well. It would promote more usage of firewood which in turns mean you would be forced to go out and collect it more often, and from further away as your current location might not have enough to satisfy your needs.

Repeat once more. That's cool. I want it in the game.

On 10/29/2020 at 5:07 AM, oplli said:

I also like the idea that if we take a cold shower we will have a cold resistance bonus (maybe like 1C every cold shower you take and it can stack up to 3C) but if you take the cold shower you wont get the condition bonus. To heat up the water we could just throw hot stones in the tank (one per L of water) and once you finished the shower you can collect back the cold stones to heat em up again. To heat up the stones you could do something like throwing 5 stones in a pot full of water and wait until the water has boiled.

Hot stones is very interesting. But I think it looks too fantastic for our game. In addition, they will somehow need to be removed from the fire and put in a container. This requires a blacksmith's Blacksmith's tongs. By the way, nothing can be forged without them at the forge. )))

1 hour ago, k0s0ff said:

Hot stones is very interesting. But I think it looks too fantastic for our game. In addition, they will somehow need to be removed from the fire and put in a container. This requires a blacksmith's Blacksmith's tongs. By the way, nothing can be forged without them at the forge. )))

Well There could be a new item that you can forge, this item would help you collect the hot stones. but i dont think it is necessairy. you could just take the rocks with a glove or a cloth with a burning chance. Or you could just put the stones around the fire like we do with the coffee, tea, reishi, rose hip and birch bark tea. and then take them back in the inventory. I dont think being realistic is that important ( with the forgable tool idea) i think just taking hot rocks in inventory would be easier to code. 

Edited by oplli

1 hour ago, oplli said:

Well There could be a new item that you can forge, this item would help you collect the hot stones. but i dont think it is necessairy. you could just take the rocks with a glove or a cloth with a burning chance. Or you could just put the stones around the fire like we do with the coffee, tea, reishi, rose hip and birch bark tea. and then take them back in the inventory. I dont think being realistic is that important ( with the forgable tool idea) i think just taking hot rocks in inventory would be easier to code. 

Maybe you're right. But in my opinion, this is too much at odds with ordinary logic. I would feel better knowing that I took the stone and didn't do it for free. I also think that it is not necessary to add their inventory..

• Upvote 1