Ray Tracing!

Skelegutplays

With the PS5 and xbox series S/X coming this year, nvidia announcing its next gen of gpus and amd announcing theirs on the 28th of october, ray tracing will be something more common to have support for, TLD could really benefit from ray traced lighting similiar to minecraft where ray traced lighting looks far different. Ray tracing would also also finally absolve the debate about the lighting being unrealistic at times. Unity also supports ray tracing so it shouldnt be too much work.

heres a few comparison images i found of ray tracing on vs off

rtx minecraft.jpg

rtx control.jpg

rtx battlefield V.jpg

Ray tracing has a massive performance hit and from what I recall TLD devs are struggling with performance already. Also until ray tracing becomes standardised and supported across the industry it's likely going to stay a pretty worthless nvidia feature just like physX and everything else proprietary they make. I am not against ray tracing or anything, I like the idea. It's just that is reality as I see it.

I think with a little effort the lighting in TLD could be improved quite a lot with standard methods. There is certainly room for improvement.

edit-----------

Also just for some info, ray tracing only gets implemented in smaller ways generally so the lighting could still be terrible even with it. Unless they did like actual real ray tracing in which case the game would be a slide show.

Edited by odizzido

Just now, Hawk said:

Honestly, based on the screenshots in the first post, I prefer the looks of RTX off. With it on it looks too much like bloom in games, which I always turn off.

Just my humble opinion. 9_9

i agree exept for the last one. i think that if well done RTX can be really beautiful and enjoyable. even more in a game of pure exploration and lonelyness

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, odizzido said:

Ray tracing has a massive performance hit and from what I recall TLD devs are struggling with performance already. Also until ray tracing becomes standardised and supported across the industry it's likely going to stay a pretty worthless nvidia feature just like physX and everything else proprietary they make. I am not against ray tracing or anything, I like the idea. It's just that is reality as I see it.

Pc runs fine, the gtx 1070 runs tld in 4k ultra, the next gen consoles are rumoured to have rtx 2080 levels of performamce so it shouldnt be that hard to run even with ray tracing if hinterland does a good job with optimization.

16 hours ago, Skelegutplays said:

Pc runs fine, the gtx 1070 runs tld in 4k ultra, the next gen consoles are rumoured to have rtx 2080 levels of performamce so it shouldnt be that hard to run even with ray tracing if hinterland does a good job with optimization.

If you run limited ray tracing sure. Otherwise there is no hope. Also how far does the tracing go? 50m, 150m....1km? Is light bouncing off clouds and everything? How many bounces before it drops the ray? So let's be clear, full proper ray tracing is still quite some time off from being usable if it ever happens. The best we can do is apply it to a limited few effects and then limit those effects. Also I don't get the feeling that hinterland will ever play to the strengths of superior systems. It's the lowest common denominator all the way.