Fire Barrels

nicko

Does any one else think these barrel burn way to bright? cooking a steak on these fires would be black and crispy. I guess its harder to cook on these drums due to size/depth of fuel but yeah it would be nice if the flames went down when cooking so you can see what your burningscreen_7b6cc544-5cee-4ae3-8586-0e571c568225.thumb.png.54447631b08408b377ce8e285af14873.png/cooking?

• Upvote 1

Fire barrels, some of them, and fire places, seem to have a tendency depending on the location of  having the fire's effect really be somewhat overwhelming visually.  I was at the Mountaineer Hut, had a fire going in the fireplace, and the spillover visual effects of the fire was a problem.  Not impossible or even really difficult but I thought maybe tone it down some.

@nicko / @UTC-10

Hmm...I haven't had any issue with how bright fire barrels (or any other fireboxes) are.
Just out of curiosity... do either of you perhaps have your brightness settings turned up?

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I know of at least a few folks who did that so they could better see in the dark without using a light... and then they'd have issues with other portions of the game being "too bright." :D

Edited by ManicManiac

I have tried the up the brightness to see in the relative darkness thing but the daytime was too bright and it didn't help in the darkness so I cut things back.  Usually when the fire gets a bit troublesome I just shrug and carry on.  It is not very hard to do more annoying with the washing out effect.  I would not consider that a priority to fix by any means.  

@UTC-10

I was one of those folks to tried it out too.  However, the next day I stepped out of the cave and everything was so washed out that my character may as well have had snow blindness. :D

After that I've kept it at the default... but I haven't noticed anything this.  However, I guess I will have to start a few fires and pay particular attention to it.  It is very possible it's been going on, and I just haven't noticed it.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
If I see anything similar, I'll chime in again and open up a support ticket too.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac

Fires in TLD could use some work. Using a stove in the dark gives a pretty bright little patch right in front of the stove and then anywhere beyond that tiny area is pitch black. If you want to see you have to light a tiny little match because the massive roaring fire does nothing. Every time I see it I am just like geez, how is this a thing?

On 9/17/2020 at 5:53 PM, odizzido said:

Fires in TLD could use some work. Using a stove in the dark gives a pretty bright little patch right in front of the stove and then anywhere beyond that tiny area is pitch black. If you want to see you have to light a tiny little match because the massive roaring fire does nothing. Every time I see it I am just like geez, how is this a thing?

I agree, if you've ever taken a torch out of a campfire or other firebox in the dark, you can immediately tell the torch is far far brighter than the firebox, most notably at night. From a gameplay stand point, it makes sense, the torch has to be brighter to light up the surroundings so it won't be useless. But it is an inconsistency that has bugged me for a while

Lighting effects have been a problem in the game.  I would hope that Hinterland can figure something out, though if they don't see it as a big problem it would be a low priority. 

Sometimes it is a matter of how abruptly things change.  The aurora (possibly not even full effects) starts up and poof you can see. The aurora ends and poof you cannot see.  Other times, you're navigating the interior using the windows for markers and then you cannot see anything because the sun set and the night effects have not yet kicked in. If you wait a while eventually the night effects may make the windows visible again. 

I  have attached a couple screen shots at the Cannery Worker Residence from back in March showing how it changed when the aurora effects ended.  Most annoying but one can make do after a fashion.  At least lamp oil was not a problem out at that location. 

20200301091845_1.jpg

20200301091853_1.jpg

Yeah that's pretty terrible. I bet it's quite bright outside too. The inside and outside are very disconnected. Hopefully they eventually take a look at it because it makes no sense and is annoying.

Also light actually slows down for us here on earth so it's something less than that. Just sharing some physics for those interested.

2 hours ago, odizzido said:

Also light actually slows down for us here on earth so it's something less than that. Just sharing some physics for those interested.

:D indeed, but it doesn't slow down so much that light would slowly (and visually) fade when the source goes out.  It's not like the aura is on a "dimmer switch."

Besides I was referring to it in the most basic of terms (mainly because folks tend to get lost if others try to get too deep into the weeds - so for most it's best to stick to simple concepts)... I doubt we have very many physicists in the community who are going to get super pedantic about it.  :D

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac

• 2 weeks later...

little late coming on this thread, but yes, sometimes the light cast off by fire barrels and some fireplaces seem to be overwhelmingly bright.  Except of course if your in Hibernia trying to get some crafting done when the light from the barrel doesn't even penetrate the darkness far enough for you to find the workbench without light a torch.  Seems like the brightness is somehow amplified in both the gas station in CH and the Mountaineer's Hut in TWM particularly.  I agree this should be remedied if possible.  So far the only way I've found to manage this glare is to turn down the brightness setting beyond the already low setting I have it on, making interior spaces practically pitch black even in full daylight.  Never the less, those two locations are still two of my top favorite home base locations.