What are the Wolf Death Traps of Great Bear Island?

darkscaryforest

Pleasant Valley Farmstead. The place is usually crawling with wolves and you get the nice bonus of a bear that likes to patrol the area around the house. It's still one of my favorite locations in the game however as you can find some really nice stuff in the house plus it's not too far of a walk to Signal Hill Radio Tower where you can find really nice stuff as well (In one of my saves, I have found the expedition parka, rifle, a box of rifle ammunition and a couple rifle cartridges just hanging around on the floor)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

There really aren't any... (perhaps Bleak Inlet, if you aren't ready for Timber Wolves).

I mean, no matter what region you want to talk about, it's pretty easy to avoid wolves if the player is paying attention to their surroundings and travels cautiously.

Old Island Connector, probably the most precarious place simply because of how tight some of the playable area can be (with 4 possible places for groups of up to 3 wolves to spawn and roam around).  However, even that is manageable.  In my current run I was able to live in and fully map OIC, and traverse through to Desolation Point and back to Coastal Highway without detection. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
The only places I can think of where a wolf encounter is kind of unavoidable is one cave in desolation point, an certain ice cave... and the Cannery Work  shop.  Other than that... wolves are pretty easy to avoid if folks don't want to mess with them. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I mean, no matter what region you want to talk about, it's pretty easy to avoid wolves if the player is paying attention to their surroundings and travels cautiously

True.  The real wolf death trap is impatience.  Happens to me when I'm set on getting somewhere in a hurry or just get complacent.  Not death necessarily, but wolf struggles, which wear you down.   A place I still get caught out is the rail line through Mystery Lake.   Also, I sometimes choose the struggle if my guy is in good condition and close to shelter, which is a pattern of behavior that can lead to being less cautious in general I suppose.

5 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I mean, no matter what region you want to talk about, it's pretty easy to avoid wolves if the player is paying attention to their surroundings and travels cautiously.

Right now, wolves fear torches/fire so anyone who fears wolves just needs to remember to carry a torch or a flare and light up as soon as the puppy politely announces itself. Usually they growl and bark, sometimes they try to be stealthy but if you hear footsteps that aren't yours... fire time.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can only say its the place where a wolf attacks you and you immediately run into a second that finishes you off.  Aside from Timberwolves, all you need to do is not get too close to them and continue on your way.  Don't point a weapon at them and they will just wander around behind you to your destination.  What you have to worry about is getting in a tussle with one and then angrily storming off into another one and watching your run end :)