Not crazy about the paint.

Rokkenrob

I would like to have seen you spend your time on something other than developing paint.   It's a waste of programming...way too many paint cans too.  I do like the view-point mapping upgrade, but the paint ...seriously?   Would rather see better graphics, or more variety in wildlife.

I expect that episode 4, whenever it comes out, will likely have quest(s) that may involve searching an area and various structures and location, and leaving marks for follow-up investigation.  So the purpose for coming up with the navigation marks and spray paint cans will become clear. 

I am in Bleak Inlet and have a bunch of spray cans but have not really used them - I have used, for various purposes, almost three cans, and have plenty more.  I am kind of at a loss about them because it has been stated that eventually the game will update and markings will deteriorate over time (how long a time?).  So why would I go around marking structures, vehicles, and locations in survival mode?  The markings only make sense in a situation where I'd find gear and supplies but be unable to move or acquire them due to press of time (which does not happen in survival mode other than maybe the more difficult modes like Interloper) and have to move on.  With "later follow up". 

Player-created stone cairns  would seem more in keeping with how survival mode works. 

• 3 weeks later...

Folks also have the option of just not using it if they don't like it.
Player choice is pretty powerful at adjusting the experience we have with the game.

:coffee::fire:
As an example, I choose not to use the spray paint either... and  since using the spray paint isn't mandatory (as in we don't have to use it if we don't want to) I don't complain about it. :D

Edited by ManicManiac

Hello, if you do not like the painting do not use it, for me it has not been a waste of time. And second, I prefer that the graphics do not touch them, I have a low-end PC and I do not have money to buy something better, so the graphics should be left as is, they are great for me.

52 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Folks also have the option of just not using it if they don't like it.
Player choice is pretty powerful at adjusting the experience we have with the game.

:coffee::fire:
I choose not to use it... and I don't complain about it. :D

I use the paint. , mainly to mark points where i have gear (because the notepad on the xbox is rough to use...unless i invest in keyboard or keypad)  or spots like supply caches or hunting areas. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SirSharper said:

I use the paint.

And I think that's good, and I think you're making really good use of it.
I just got into the habit of keeping track of those kinds of things using the journal... (which I know isn't a great option on the consoles - so the paint is even more useful in that context)

I'd been in favor of the idea of being able to mark things on the map a while back, and I am glad it's in the game now.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I just haven't found any real need to use it yet.  My previous comment was mostly about making a point.  :D
I think I'd probably just use it for marking the Prepper Caches in PV and ML (although I've been using the journal to note those locations for the last few years anyway :D)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

In Winter's Embrace, I have noticed that the map now shows the prepper caches when discovered.  It does not show the vicinity like using charcoal but it is there sitting in a sea of black.  I suppose I could use paint or charcoal to highlight the location more.  I have not checked in my regular games to see if that shows or whether I might have to go back to the cache and maybe enter it or map it to get it on the map.

ETA:  I checked my regular save games and the prepper caches I found did not appear.  I have attached a screenshot of Pleasant Valley from my Winter's Embrace game so the icon can be seen.  It was the medical cache in this case. 

20200715111024_1.jpg

Edited by UTC-10
More info.
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

I have noticed that the map now shows the prepper caches when discovered

Interesting... I'll have to check my "Personal Challenge" Survival run that I have going and see if they show on my maps that I've completed already. 
And... if they don't, then I will head back to them to map again once my other mapping tasks are completed first. :)

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Thank you for the heads up on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Many have said (paraphrasing) "if you don't use the spray cans, then what's the harm?". Well, it adds more of these "useless" items mixed in with the regular loot tables. I found a total of 8 spray cans alone while searching the Carter Hydro Dam during Winter's Embrace, many of which were in containers. Sure, there are plenty of other supplies on Voyageur, but that's not the point. IMO, they should only be found on shelves and never in containers so that you leave the chance of finding other gear in those containers the same as it was before they introduced spray cans.

Edited by ToAsT

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

It still may be the same, you could easily adjust the odds to keep it the same, or have an extra roll to add the spray cans. Without more information it is hard to know.

Perhaps they did that, and you're right - I don't know if they added an extra roll. I haven't heard of them doing that for any other items in the game, so I'm going to assume they didn't. I haven't played enough iterations through Carter Hydro since the update to know. Maybe others (who have) can chime in.