There is moose in the area! Or was there?

Dahart

The scratched off bark on trees tells us that there is a moose around. Do these trees reset after the moose has left?

I am in an area with those kinds of trees, but after several days i haven't seen the moose. I wonder whether it has already left? Any experience on this?

:coffee::fire::coffee:

On 2/9/2020 at 1:18 AM, ManicManiac said:

I don't claim to know definitively... but the following is what I've personally observed (or what has been posted by Hinterland) about the moose behavior:

There are various possible moose spawning points.  At the beginning of a survival sandbox, spawn points are pseudo-randomly selected from amongst the pool of possible spawn points.  Only one moose will spawn at a time, and that one moose will "migrate" between all the spawn points that were selected at the beginning of the run.  The longest I've seen the moose stay in one location has been 4 game days.  By this I mean, that the moose will change locations at some interval between 1 and 4 game days - though this duration may have changed in more recent updates, and it's also possible that a longer stay in one location may in truth result from the same location being selected for consecutive intervals.  Once successfully hunted, then the population re-spawn interval for the moose (at the selected difficulty) must pass before the migration process will begin again.

Those selected possible spawn points manifest as the scrapped trees.  These indicate an active possible spawn location for a moose.  Very similar to how bones in at the mouth of a cave (or other locations on some rare occasions - like the Low Blind) indicate an active bear spawn location.

Just like the "bear den," scrapped trees will always stay scrapped for the duration of each particular run, in much the same way that the bones indicating a bear den will be there whether a bear is there or not.

Edited by ManicManiac

You can mend the satchel with cured leather.  As opposed to every other piece of animal hide clothing, you do not need a moose hide to fix the satchel though you probably need one for the moose hide jacket. 

8 hours ago, acada said:

If you would be about repair Mosse jacket, it is better to dismantle it and create it again. In this case you dont need new moose hide.

Thats interesting.

Does that mean you basically have an indestructible Moose jacket? You wait until its worn down to lets say 10%, dismantle it, get a moose hide back in the process (?) and create a new one?

7 minutes ago, Dahart said:

Thats interesting.

Does that mean you basically have an indestructible Moose jacket? You wait until its worn down to lets say 10%, dismantle it, get a moose hide back in the process (?) and create a new one?

Pretty much.  Once you get that moosehide cloak, you can maintain it with bunny guts and fishing tackle by harvesting and re-crafting it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, Dahart said:

Ah ok, so it's probably gone already. Too bad, my satchel is at 19% :(

The first time I had a satchel I made the same mistake. Spent in games weeks hunting another moose until I finally got one, my satchel was about 10% when the hide finally cured and I tried to fix it only to learn that leather was required. 🤬