• Bed nearby to sleep on while cooking
  • Peaceful, outdoor sounds
  • No predators
  • Stove can be lit with Magnifying Glass
  • Good place to earn some hours towards Blizzard Walker

Doesn't get any better! :)

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 5

The beachcombing spot is located on the ice near the fallen lighthouse island.  I have found it to be really good with lots of stuff (generally five or six things about every 24 hours) or not so good picking, but usually reasonably useful on the same time scale.  Coming from the island side, as the spot is not way the heck out on the ice, you can actually get close enough to pick it all up with almost no risk. 

I play Pilgrim so predator patterns are probably different, but fallen lighthouse island is rather isolated from timber wolves and the only major threat was the bear which often patrolled between the island and the "mainland".

any car anywhere...
no need to worry about cabin fever
cold temp fires burn slower
8 burners, with options for more if needed
nice cozy interior to sleep or rest no sleeping  bag needed
enjoy the sounds of a crackling fire
predators?  sure but that just means more meat to eat!
fires can be lit with magnifying glass
not good in high winds or blizzard conditions!  

a close second...

screen_76f4d2ef-b53e-4789-bc3b-cfe5eb66dbc6_hi.thumb.png.c2356c04795be4be9f38624a3283d582.png

• Upvote 3

Also in any cave:

You can set multiple campfires before it transitions to the "inside" in order to take advantage of the outdoor fire (both in duration and using your mag-lens) while also being protected from wind/blizzard.  :)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

If one does set fires around a vehicle, be sure to check where exiting from the vehicle from any door will put you.  Same with interior caves both on both sides of the interface.  The game does not care where it puts you, so place a fire in the wrong spot and obviously, when you transition, you wanted to be placed on that spot in the fire.  People have gotten "burned"  :) because they didn't check that. 

As another concept, since we now have the capacity to build a cache using 50 stones, maybe we'll eventually be able to use 50 stones and construct a two cooking surface field stove.  The weight of the stones and probable lack of wolf deterrence (game balance you know) would likely make it something that is built for a purpose such as in a location where the [expletive] winds keep blowing your [expletive] fire out or as a means to make snow shelters maybe more survivable since there are limits to its base protection.  I suppose a smaller version, using 25 stones, might provide for a one surface field stove or maybe just a warmth stove that is wind-proof. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

Yeah, caves are better. 
More abundant, and protect you from cold temperatures. 
Sticks / fire wood are usually not an issue.

-t

not all caves come with sleeping beds though. but I do like a cave for production of mass quantities of meat preservation

21 hours ago, turtle777 said:

Yeah, caves are better. 

-t

I guess if wood is not an issue because you'll use 3 times more wood with 3 campfires going vs. a 6-burner stove.

5 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I guess if wood is not an issue because you'll use 3 times more wood with 3 campfires going vs. a 6-burner stove.

Excellent point.  you can practically cook an entire deer using that stove at the fallen light house.  one tinder, one stick and one cedar log is all you need and if you quartered your deer kill those .5 kilo venison steaks would just have enough time left to fully cook before needing to add more fuel.  

On 6/11/2020 at 1:47 AM, turtle777 said:

Yeah, caves are better. 

Last time I used mass cooking for training cooking skills: I shot a bear near his cave. So I carved him, brought his meat to his cave, set 5 fires and cooked him in his own cave. Justice.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1