Dr.Dankalot

I’ve been playing the story mode a bit and have really found myself wanting tents .... not sure why but there is something cool about the idea of pitching a tent in a storm , placing your sleeping bag inside and sitting by the fire . I’ve been playing since early access when it launched , and it’s amazing to see how far the game has come ! But this would be cool to have one day .

Edited by Dr.Dankalot
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Instead of tent, how about something upgraded version of snow shelter? Snow shelter in this game is good, but in interloper, too much trust on snow shelter will make you sleep... forever. 

Anyone watched the Norwegian winter episode of Ed Stafford's Marooned? In that episode, he made a survival shelter using mostly branches of Softwoods. His shelter has a wide enough cover, so that it can protect the crafted bed, the resident, and fire + fireplace for several days. I guess Ed's shelter wouldn't protect a person and the fire from the blizzard, but it should be good enough to protect these from some degree of wind. Such shelter can work as semi base camp for players to try tough places during tough winter even in loper or loper-grade customs. Crafting such "shelter" should take good amount of time and resources. 

Looking back this Wishlist forum, a lot of similar suggestions has been made. I even saw "Igloo" idea in this forum. It is not only me who had the similar idea... 

Edited by sonics01
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I think both ideas (tents or "improved" snow-shelters) would only serve to make the game easier for the player... and I'm generally not in favor of most things that would make the game easier.

We already have very habitable caves and we have snow-shelters for those who don't mind sacrificing cloth.  We also have hollowed out trees... so between all of that, I think we have plenty of good options for shelter without making things too easy on us.

:coffee::fire:
so for me... Tents or Improved Snow-shelters?  No thank you. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

The current snow shelter, on all modes except for interloper, are fairly warm or safe. I would mind the "look" of a tent or upgraded shelter, but without the temperature differences. Which then goes into the "why make a change that doesnt actually change anything". 
But could you imagine a tent in this photo .... it would complete it. 

save.thumb.png.d32aab43042cfc3025fd0a988d78469e.png

Edited by SirSharper
  • Upvote 2

I'm all for any additions to the game that do not subtract from the established gameplay mechanics. The game is already fairly easy as it is ( ATDS being the exception ). I get the overall feeling that HL is very zealous when introducing gameplay mechanics and tools as to disturb the sense of balance the game has, but it kinda plays a bit too safe when adding new content to the game. Don't get me wrong, I do not wish to see fully auto guns or zombies in the game, but I feel we're missing some more wilderness practical knowledge, even references to the local natives for example. How did the rugged old time natives survived GBI before the fur-trading and coal mining took hold? I feel HL could explore more in this regard. 

With that rant out of the way: Agreed on all counts @SirSharper.

More crafted shelter options like a simple wikiup made with bark, sticks and poles made from long branches or fallen limbs. Even modern insulated tents would be cool, as long as they fit a proper difficulty setting. Crafting options that do not require the workbench for example, making primitive needles, firestarting kits and natural first-aid, etc. More options, more possibilities make for bigger replayability value.

• Upvote 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:53 PM, ManicManiac said:

In terms of difficulty, it depends on how HL introduces new features. It wouldn't make the game extra easy, but add some convenience to players. I don't think balancing would be terribly difficult for this feature.  

For example, a shelter made up of branches and tree limbs (like Ed's one I mentioned) would not induce any protection from wildlife attack (without fire), and would not provide any protection from blizzard. If you watched Marooned episode I mentioned, Ed's shelter does not cover all directions. Which means, the wind from specific direction can attack a person and the fire. It is not totally super safe place to live there forever. 

This will raise the question of "what is the difference from snow shelter then?". When compared to TLD snow shelter, Ed's shelter can protect the fire and a person together from 3 directions (except the wind from open direction) + heat reflects from the cover to inside so it creates more warmth than snow shelter + bonfire combo. Depending on the location, this type of the shelter should be able to protect a person + the fire inside from the coldness better than the current TLD snow shelter even in interloper or loper-custom games. 

Ed's shelter doesn't even need any cloths to build one, he only made that with branches and limbs. It should take a good amount of investment of time and effort to create one, with a lot of branch/limb material. But should worth the effort.  

In interloper or loper-grade custom, there is no safe craftable shelter for players to protect themselves. This kinds of "improved shelter" fills the gap. If it makes too easy lower difficulty games, then answer is simple. Introduce this feature at interloper and add an on/off option in custom game. 

9 hours ago, Dan_ said:

More crafted shelter options like a simple wikiup made with bark, sticks and poles made from long branches or fallen limbs. Even modern insulated tents would be cool, as long as they fit a proper difficulty setting. Crafting options that do not require the workbench for example, making primitive needles, firestarting kits and natural first-aid, etc. More options, more possibilities make for bigger replayability value.

This is exactly what I wish to comment... If properly designed and balanced, more option to achieve the same goal is always welcome for better replayability which is important for TLD. 

Edited by sonics01

30 minutes ago, sonics01 said:

In terms of difficulty, it depends on how HL introduces new features. It wouldn't make the game extra easy, but add some convenience to players.

Which touch on two of my main points:
First, I don't think these features are needed at all... so to me, how they would be hypothetically implemented is kind of a moot point.
Second, I'm generally not in favor of things that would only serve to make life more convenient for the player.

Which is why (from my perspective) I'd say no thank you to the ideas which have been discussed.

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Which touch on two of my main points:
First, I don't think these features are needed at all... so to me, how they would be hypothetically implemented is kind of a moot point.
Second, I'm generally not in favor of things that would only serve to make life more convenient for the player.

Which is why (from my perspective) I'd say no thank you to the ideas which have been discussed.

I think, in interloper or loper-custom, this will be needed, or at least welcomed as an alternative option.

And I already explained this would not make the life in GBI "a lot" easier, this will add a little bit of convenience and mood. But this will be welcomed to other players. I don't think adding this feature will heavily burden devs. 

I welcome more options and more contents, which is desperately needed in this game IMO if this game wish to sell more and flourish more. 

Edited by sonics01