A Fun Challenge

Vince 49

I've been trying to find ways to increase the challenge of survival when still being fun.  (For me, Interloper is not fun).

So, I decided to start in the Timberwolf Mountain region on Stalker and not be allowed to leave the region for 25 days.  The first few times I tried it, it seemed impossible.  I considered giving up, but had one more thing to try.  It turns out, with the right approach, it's not only possible to survive, it's possible to thrive!  It's no big thing, but if you haven't tried it, you might find it a fun challenge.  Good luck with that.  😑

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vince 49 said:

I've been trying to find ways to increase the challenge of survival when still being fun...
So, I decided to start in the Timberwolf Mountain region on Stalker and not be allowed to leave the region for 25 days.

Well done!  :)

For some similar reasons I also opted to give myself a personal challenge (which now that I'm looking back, I started my attempts back in June of 2019 :D). [oops, I forgot I mentioned that already in previous posts we've exchanged... :D]

I think the number and creativity of the personal challenges that folks have written about on the forum is not just really interesting in terms of how folks so wonderfully think of creative ways to play, but also in just how powerful player choice can be in changing the experience we have in this wonderful game (without wanting/asking Hinterland to fundamentally change the game itself).  

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

@hozz1235, you're right, although it took me a while to realize that.  In my latest game, I started early in the day in Deer Clearing.  I picked up as many twigs as I could on my way to the climb up to Secluded Shelf.  I used the twigs to start a fire once I entered Cave B, as I was risking death from hypothermia.  Took a torch from the fire which lasted long enough to find a flare to light the rest of the way to Cave A.  I used two logs I found near the exit of Cave A to start a fire and take a brief rest before starting for the summit.  (I wouldn't make it to the top of the summit without that rest).  I knew from previous games that there was always a hacksaw in the tail section not in a container.  (Without it none of this would work).  Once I had decent clothes and had opened the tool cargo container, I broke up several wooden crates so I would have enough wood for a fire to last the night without freezing.  It was all easy from there.  :)

Edited by Vince 49

@hozz1235, it's on the map, but I had forgotten about it.  Thanks for reminding me.  I will plan to use it next time.

Next time will be soon.  One downside of this approach is you can be fully equipped much sooner.  I maxed out on clothes (31 warmth bonus and 13 wind bonus) by day 36!  It took another 10 days to get every tool and enough arrows.  So, by day 46 I was in the same position as after 120 days in a "conventional" game, as discussed in the "What Now?" topic.

This is my preferred Stalker start actually.  Begin on the slopes, run up and scrabble to the top and then loot until I’m set for the game.  Hang out on the peak for a few days reading books and fixing gear until it’s time to stumble down the slopes and begin finding a moose to kill.  If luck is with me there’s one up and I nail him and wait for his hide to cure.  Plenty of playing to do in TWM finding caches and opening crates, making clothing etc.  you can even fish!  It’s a great zone and I’ve stayed there easily past 25 days just doing stuff and gaining skills.