Forest fires.

badade

2 minutes ago, Serenity said:

The game isn't really designed for dynamic environments. Everything is static

I see.

There's obviously more to it than I understand, "static" being one; I thought the fire animation, smoke, wildlife etc?

I'd love another element to keep me interested post 200+ vanilla interloper days; I've tried most suggestions but find that once I'm fully kitted out I lose interest and only really enjoy the danger of the early days.

Apart from the technical limitations, forest fires in the depth of winters aren't really a thing in Canada though, are they? That would surprise me, quite honestly. And that is with millions of people traversing these forests by various means including combustion engines, smoking cigarettes there, lighting open fires etc. In TLD, with the absence of thunderstorms, the only source of a forest fire could be you, and what do you do in the game that could cause one in several feet of snow? Burn down a building, sure, faulty wires charged by an aurora could do that, but that growing into a massive blaze... it just seems like a very long shot anyway.

Yeah forest fires usually happen in the summer when everything is dry.

I meant that the world is static in that sense that everything is pre-placed. Sure you can have a fire somewhere (like the plane crash in Wintermute), but it always burns. There aren't any sudden rock slides, new fallen trees, etc. Some of that may be nice, but the engine very likely isn't designed with that in mind.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LostRealist said:

Apart from the technical limitations, forest fires in the depth of winters aren't really a thing in Canada though, are they? That would surprise me, quite honestly. And that is with millions of people traversing these forests by various means including combustion engines, smoking cigarettes there, lighting open fires etc. In TLD, with the absence of thunderstorms, the only source of a forest fire could be you, and what do you do in the game that could cause one in several feet of snow? Burn down a building, sure, faulty wires charged by an aurora could do that, but that growing into a massive blaze... it just seems like a very long shot anyway.

Your right about fires in a Canadian winter wilderness --at least you replied, better than when I suggested the same in the Subnautica forum!

The normal Canadian wildfire seasons are from April to September, which peaks from June onwards.

You can even see the annual fire weather risk on a handy interactive map on the Canadian Wildland Fire Information System.

Note that even during the peak months, fire risk simply doesn't rise very high in the Vancouver region, which is our best approximation for Great Bear's fictional location. Mid-winter would be almost zero risk of wildfire.

I think, that even if the game were able to support this kind of thing (and from what I can tell it would some massive overhauls - so I doubt it's likely), I still wouldn't be in favor of it.  I say that mainly because I do really love the look & feel of Great Bear, and I'd defiantly wouldn't want to see a large scale wildfire destroy what I consider to be breath taking scenery and rich player environments...

:coffee::fire:
For just a little more perspective:

On 1/7/2020 at 8:30 AM, ManicManiac said:

Before, when campfires were permanent fixtures I would almost never put one down... even when it would have been very advantageous for me to do so (like carving a carcass and things like that).  I've always admitted it was due to the personal desire to not clutter up the landscape...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1