It's impossible to see in this game

Armiora

I play on PC and have adjusted the brightness to the lightest level but it is soooo dark!! I can't see ANYTHING! When I'm searching for stuff in the Orca Gas Station I need to blindly search with my mouse and hope something pops up to click on it because it's endlessly black! The same goes for the Grey Mother house and the other random Milton houses. How can I get this game to appear brighter?!

Wait until the sun has fully risen and/or carry a light source.  Interiors can be quite dark, and there are occasionally valuable items to be found hidden in shadowed corners, so if you're searching a new location always have some form of light equipped.  Lantern, torch, flare, even a match if you're in a pinch.

• Upvote 2

@Armiora Welcome to the club. The issue of interior lighting has been going back and forth for a long time. I remember way back when it was dark as heck inside and people complained it was too dark.  Then was lightened up so that the outlines of interiors could be dimly seen (as a kind of blue light) and people complained it was too lighted. Then it got darker again. Then it got lighter again. Now it is darker again.  It may well lighten up in the hotfix or update until the followup where it may then darken again. 

There is no way to make an interior visible if the game algorithm says it is too dark to see. Running up the brightness on the monitor or even the game settings tends to not make a big difference. The screen gets brighter, turns a tint of green, and everything remains invisible in the dark. The collateral effect of changing game settings is that now when there is light, it is all very bright. Not unlike, wearing low-light goggles then entering a well lit situation. 

Me, I cope as best I can. In places I go to regularly - Camp Office, Farm House in Pleasant Valley, the Quonset garage in Coastal Highway, etc. - I will keep an eye on how I am oriented when I enter (when there was light to see) so that when I come in when it is dark, I can use my movement keys and move in a squared pattern not wandering around.  Interior landmarks help too, even the visible windows. Despite all that I still get lost and disoriented. Light my lantern and find I am in a corner, looking up at the ceiling. Sigh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

Well try it out in real life. If you are in a dark place and there is no light, and nature hasn't equipped you with some superhuman night vision .... you probably can't see. Plus it's called "The Long Dark" for a reason.

Well, @Armiora, the guys above gave the right answers.

Including that light and your ability to see is part of the challenge The Long Dark offers you, not a technical issue. 

Once you understand that, you learn how to spare your lantern fuel and manage torches 😉

I have set the game setting (not the monitor itself) to slightly above recomended setting. This allows me to get general idea in places. Plus it gives me slight feeling of snow blindness during very bright day.

It is like in my real life. I can see in the dark more than most other people. Plus I am blinded during very bright day.