Stutter game freeze when entering building after last hotfix - Sandbox game

acada

I just wonder if anyone else is experiencing stutter or more like game freezing after last hotfix. I do have sandbox game runnnig. There was no problem after Episode 3 release. Not even after 4DON. But the hotfix after 4DON causes the game freezes about 2-5 seconds after my character enters any building. 

There is no such problem if I create new sandbox. It is running well. No problem in new created challenge game. Just my old sandbox (about 2-3montsh since I started it).

I noticed the gamesave file is about 9MB while other have up to 2MB. Could it be because I am too greedy in this game and have about 150kg of meat laying near my latest base camp?

I of course contacted the tech support, but no answer for now. 

It is no gamebreaking because it only happens when the character enters the building. But it is annoying.

• Upvote 1

I have been having a very similar problem. either i freeze up after enter/exiting a building and have to hit my windows key to unfreeze or after i enter/exit a building i can take a few steps then it freezes and win key to fix. Even if i dont enter/exit a building pretty much any transistion it has a chance of doing this.

Didn't have this issue until Steam pushed the new Library UI and Steam Client version on us.  And I cannot say it is only tied to entering or exiting a building, this happens to me at seemingly random times, including just traveling in the open world.

Game runs fine, no issues on XBox One x copy, HDR on.

Game runs fine offline, launched from local files or desktop shortcut, Steam Client not running. Steady and smooth, game loads quickly, loading screens pass quickly, 144 fps, steady, no hitching, no stutters.

Launched from within the Steam Client... game stutters, hitches, loads slowly, loading screens take much longer to pass. Steam Client stops responding, the game and my entire computer becomes locked up, Task Manager still works, I have to kill Steam Client and the game to make my PC responsive again.  I do have Steam Cloud saves enabled (though I could swear I disabled them months ago...)

Curious how many people in this thread are also having this issue when launching the game through Steam Client?
And if you have the same issue if you shut down Steam Client, and launch the game from the desktop, in offline mode, without Steam Client running?

@ThePancakeLady pretty much thats what my problem is. for me it just happens more with entering and exiting. But it pretty much randomly freezes up. Its not as bad as you as needing to force exit steam. I had a feeling it was either the last update for the long dark or with steam. I have had problems with steam lately so now im 100% sure its on steams end that this is happening. The long dark is not the only game ive had problems playing games with.

@ThePancakeLady Ha I do have steam edition as well. When I got to puter I will try to disable at least overlay and sync. See if there will be difference.

EDITED:

Well no luck. Disabled all steam thingies. Also executed the tld.exe while steam was not running. I got still 3-5 seconds freezes while game saving.

Edited by acada

5 hours ago, acada said:

@ThePancakeLady Ha I do have steam edition as well. When I got to puter I will try to disable at least overlay and sync. See if there will be difference.

EDITED:

Well no luck. Disabled all steam thingies. Also executed the tld.exe while steam was not running. I got still 3-5 seconds freezes while game saving.

Test if the game crashes with Steam Client not running at all.

Close Steam.

Go into the local game files folder, and launch the game from the tld.exe file. No Steam needed.  The game is DRM free. The game will launch on your desktop. See if it runs better, or if the same thing happens. Not just disabling stuff in Steam, but taking Steam out of the picture altogether.

(And your Feats and Steam Achievements will update on Steam the next time you launch the game with Steam running, the game saves locally, always, Steam only gives you the option for cloud saves and Steam overlay... so yeah, steam screenshots won't be there.) But it is the only way to test if it is the game that is broken, ir if Steam Client is what is causing the issues.

8 hours ago, TheUnknown said:

@ThePancakeLady pretty much thats what my problem is. for me it just happens more with entering and exiting. But it pretty much randomly freezes up. Its not as bad as you as needing to force exit steam. I had a feeling it was either the last update for the long dark or with steam. I have had problems with steam lately so now im 100% sure its on steams end that this is happening. The long dark is not the only game ive had problems playing games with.

Yeah, I have had some other games crashing on me that have Steam DRM, so I have to use Steam to launch them, crashing as well. Games that never crashed on me before, games that do not require huge amounts of resources on my PC. Which is why I am suspecting the memory leak present in the new Steam UI/Client version may be playing a part in this. Or some other thing that the new UI/Client version has going on. A good number of threads on the Community Steam Discussions (Both Stable Client discussions and Steam Client Beta discussions, from people reporting Steam Client crashing and craching their games, or causing issues with how some run, that they have never seen before.)

As far as console version, I only have the game on XBox One (X) and on Steam. And only the Steam version is affected. Game runs like silk on XBox One X for me and my family. But crashes for all of us when using Steam to launch it. I have Windows 10, and the XBox One Play Anywhere works without issue as well.

But there are many different possibly causes for crashes or stuttering or fps spikes. I am just interested in narrowing things down, and trying to rule out or in, that Steam Client is possibly one of the causes for some people playing on a computer. I have a fairly beefy rig now, bought a new high-end gaming PC, and the problems for me with the Steam copy of the game only started when the new UI and Client version was pushed on us.

@ThePancakeLady I have performed more tests. One was to run tld.exe when nothing from steam was running (my setting is to not start steam after PC start). Second was when steam overlay was disabled when steam was running and third was when save sync was off when steam was running. No luck in my case. New sandboxes are saving with no freeze. The one I am interested in has the game freeze during saving. It is my longest run so far so I do not want just end it. I know 175 days is not much for some. But for me it is long.

Okay, just a follow up. 

Steam updated the Client with a few fixes yesterday. 

One in particular... a fix for the one webhelper that has been crashing, and causing the Client and games to lock up (supposed to have been a fix for Mac users... but it seems to have fixed it on Windows 10 as well.)

I am now getting a steady 144 fps again in the game, no stutters, no hitching... running smooth again for me, when launching through Steam Client. 

Anyone else launching through Steam Client notice any improvement as well? (provided you installed the new update of the Steam Client, of course...)