Mountain Basin Fishing Shack or Craftable Fishing Tent

piddy3825

This here is just wishful thinking, but I would like to see a fishing shack down on the frozen lake that makes up Mountain Basin.  Although the loot factor is pretty good in Milton Town for lamp oil, those bottles are a fixed commodity.  Given the "sporty" nature of the area, (climbing ropes, scenic vista's, the only access to Hushed River Valley, etc.) I would assume that prior to the deep freeze, there'd be lots of sport fisherman down in that basin fly fishing for trout and or bass.  I'd go so far that they probably would have done some ice fishing as well in the winter months prior to the big collapse and mass exodus that led to the complete abandonment of the area. 

If no ice fishing shack was present, maybe those same sport fisherman were able to construct a "fishing tent" similar in nature to a snow shelter perhaps.  This tent could be a craftable item as well, maybe taking double the amount of materials that a snow shelter would, but primarily consisting of cloth and sticks, maybe a few 2-4 lengths of gut (tie downs, whatever) and could partly be sewn together using a crafting table and maybe taking 5-10 hours to fabricate.  I think it would weigh around 5 kilos for the canvas not including the 10 or so sticks that would be needed to assemble it.  Maybe would take two hours to set up in game time and once erected the "icehole" would appear and the normal mechanics of chipping the ice would apply.   Depending on how complex, maybe there could be a little campfire inside, like a single  cooking rock and that may as well require 10 stones as part of the construction requirements.  The tent could be taken down, you'd lose out on your sticks, stones and gut every time you took it down, and the tent would wear by at least 2-3% with each days use.  all the resources are already in game so nothing new would need to be developed as those resources already exist in game.

icefishtent.thumb.jpg.c6d1649868bcf6b03cc0e32138109d77.jpg

obviously this thing is massive, but it adequately captures the idea.  so imagine something just a little smaller...  you might have to crouch down in order to get inside?  

let the fishing begin!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Skelegutplays said:

I like this idea but it should be very expensive to make. It should be very vulnerable to blizzards and not protect from wildlife attacks. Crafting should require 6 deer hides, 8 guts and lots of wood.

I don't think a tent should withstand a long and windy blizzard without needing repair or protect from a bear attack for example, but it should provide decent protection from the elements and at least keep a wolf out.  I agree it should be "expensive" to make requiring many resources to construct, some deer hides would certainly beef up the final project!  Good idea, thanks.

Just being able to create a hole in the ice for fishing, without a shelter, would useful.  It would be much simpler to incorporate into the game.  Such fishing could be dangerously cold in poor weather. It could be good for getting food but invaluable for getting lamp oil.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, peteloud said:

Just being able to create a hole in the ice for fishing, without a shelter, would useful.  It would be much simpler to incorporate into the game.  Such fishing could be dangerously cold in poor weather. It could be good for getting food but invaluable for getting lamp oil.

yeah, I would settle for that too...

It certainly would be neat... but considering all the shelter options we have already, I don't see it adding any real gameplay value. 

As for being able to chip out an ice fishing hole (or being able to make holes on the edges of weak ice for fishing - something we've discussed here before)... that would kind of be a game changer. 

Edited by ManicManiac

I would like them to add in 3 of their fishing huts - one in Milton Basin, one in Desolation Point, and one in Crumbling Highway - and not worry about allowing us to fish just anywhere.  I like the challenge of getting to one of their placed huts by getting around wolves and such.  Being able to just drop a hole into the ice anyways would just be too easy.

6 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Being able to just drop a hole into the ice anyways would just be too easy

Agreed... that's why I called it a game changer, but also that it would change it for the worse.  It would make things way too easy.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wade said:

Hard to believe its been almost 2 years since I begged for this.

Yeah... but it's not been considered a nessisarry addition.  We can live pretty much indefinitely in the Milton Basin already without fishing.  All we need are a few snares :) 

Edited by ManicManiac

8 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I would like them to add in 3 of their fishing huts - one in Milton Basin, one in Desolation Point, and one in Crumbling Highway - and not worry about allowing us to fish just anywhere.  I like the challenge of getting to one of their placed huts by getting around wolves and such.  Being able to just drop a hole into the ice anyways would just be too easy.

really could use one in Hushed River Valley as well...

• Upvote 1

Honestly,I don't think we really need any additional fishing huts in any of the existing zones... each spot has to have benefits and drawbacks (at least from a gameplay perspective).

If there was even one location that "had everything"... then pretty much everyone would just gravitate to that spot because why wouldn't we live in the place that give us access to the most things.  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Honestly,I don't think we really need any additional fishing huts in any of the existing zones... each spot has to have benefits and drawbacks (at least from a gameplay perspective).

If there was even one location that "had everything"... then pretty much everyone would just gravitate to that spot because why wouldn't we live in the place that give us access to the most things.  :D 

Like Coastal Highway?  What's so wrong with gravitating to a spot after you've explored whatever you want to explore to the extent you want to explore it in your single-player game?  Milton Basin and Crumbling Highway would still not have a forge.  Desolation Point has a decided lack of cloth.  Crumbling Highway would have the difficulty of being a wolf-infested alley with only one real shelter to get away from them once they smell you walking around with your raw fish... and no way to make a fire within that single shelter.  Besides, lack of fishing doesn't seem to have prevented you from gravitating "indefinitely" to the Milton Basin, has it?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

What's so wrong with gravitating to a spot after you've explored whatever you want to explore to the extent you want to explore it in your single-player game?

Nothing wrong with it at all... we can each play how we want to.

I was just speaking from a gameplay perspective.  People that gravitate towards Coastal Highway do so because it has (or at least relative) close access to pretty much all major features and that's fine...  Most people will tend to gravitate to wherever they will have the easiest time (it's just kind of human nature).  I'm only positing that it wouldn't be a good idea to for the team to plop fishing huts everywhere just because people want to make a particular spot easier to live in.  :D 

My thoughts on this are only that I respect that the Hinterland team was very careful about the placement of fishing huts... and instead of trying to get them to add more, I find it's far more enjoyable to just get better at living in the world they have provided for us. 

When I first got to Milton basin, I though man... this isn't a good spot to stay for long periods of time, that is until I found the rabbit runs.  I set up some snares and found out that it was easy enough to stay there indefinitely because of how reliable those snares are.  Turned out, I just need to get better at playing the game... didn't need to be able to fish in the basin at all.

This is why I have the option that I do on this particular thread.  :)  There's no right or wrong, there are just opinions... and this is just the way I see this topic.

38 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I was just speaking from a gameplay perspective....

I'd have to agree from a gameplay perspective in story mode...  but from a survival sandbox perspective and perhaps also from a lore perspective, Milton Town was also probably one of the first settlements on the island, given that it was founded in 1911 about a year after the coal mines were established.  You would think that a forge in that location would be standard equipment and fishing shacks would be common place considering the remote nature of the islands location and it's relatively inter-independence of the mainland.  Given the nature of the township's 100+ year history , it would be hard to believe the locals wouldn't have already developed those amenities.   

11 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

but from a survival sandbox perspective and perhaps also from a lore perspective

Maybe, but it's moot to speculate on a fictional location.  We can theorize and rationalize all we like, but I think the Hinterland team have very carefully given us everything we need in the areas they deemed would be best for gameplay.  I still think it's better for us to enjoy the world they provided us... if we do that, I think we will find that we don't need fishing huts all over the place.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited to correct an error :)

Just now, ManicManiac said:

Maybe, but it's moot to speculate on a fictional location.  We can theorize and rationalize all we like, but I think the Hinterland team have very carefully given us everything we need in the areas they deemed would be best for gameplay.  I still think it's better for us to enjoy the world they prided us... if we do that, I think we will find that we don't need fishing huts all over the place.  :) 

yeah, maybe you've got a point, but nevertheless, i am getting tired of eating rabbits and wolves, lol.  

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Nothing wrong with it at all... we can each play how we want to.

I was just speaking from a gameplay perspective.  People that gravitate towards Coastal Highway do so because it has (or at least relative) close access to pretty much all major features and that's fine...  Most people will tend to gravitate to wherever they will have the easiest time (it's just kind of human nature).  I'm only positing that it wouldn't be a good idea to for the team to plop fishing huts everywhere just because people want to make a particular spot easier to live in.  :D 

My thoughts on this are only that I respect that the Hinterland team was very careful about the placement of fishing huts... and instead of trying to get them to add more, I find it's far more enjoyable to just get better at living in the world they have provided for us. 

When I first got to Milton basin, I though man... this isn't a good spot to stay for long periods of time, that is until I found the rabbit runs.  I set up some snares and found out that it was easy enough to stay there indefinitely because of how reliable those snares are.  Turned out, I just need to get better at playing the game... didn't need to be able to fish in the basin at all.

This is why I have the option that I do on this particular thread.  :)  There's no right or wrong, there are just opinions... and this is just the way I see this topic.

Since none of the regions that I listed have a serious lack of food, I really don't see how adding a single fishing hut to each is going to negatively affect gameplay by making things so easy.  I've never set a snare in Milton Basin, but I don't find it any more difficult than you to stay there indefinitely.  I just spend my time throwing stones at the rabbits instead and taking down deer and the occasional moose.  What causes me to leave that area is the same reason I don't spend a whole lot of time in Desolation Point... it's the lack of cloth.  Eventually my underwear wears down and I need to move to a place with settled homes to carve up curtains and get more cloth to make repairs.  The same holds true for HRV even though it is a much larger zone that either DP or the Milton Basin and, as such, has a lot of food sources already.  So, all in all, I think most people would still gravitate to Coastal Highway even with fishing availalble in a few more zones.

13 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Since none of the regions that I listed have a serious lack of food, I really don't see how adding a single fishing hut to each is going to negatively affect gameplay by making things so easy.  I've never set a snare in Milton Basin, but I don't find it any more difficult than you to stay there indefinitely.  I just spend my time throwing stones at the rabbits instead and taking down deer and the occasional moose.  What causes me to leave that area is the same reason I don't spend a whole lot of time in Desolation Point... it's the lack of cloth.  Eventually my underwear wears down and I need to move to a place with settled homes to carve up curtains and get more cloth to make repairs.  The same holds true for HRV even though it is a much larger zone that either DP or the Milton Basin and, as such, has a lot of food sources already.  So, all in all, I think most people would still gravitate to Coastal Highway even with fishing availalble in a few more zones.

Your not implying there's a lack of cloth in Milton are you?  Yes I agree with that observation for DP, but all those curtains in Milton?  

Just now, piddy3825 said:

Your not implying there's a lack of cloth in Milton are you?  Yes I agree with that observation for DP, but all those curtains in Milton?  

Milton Basin... there is a lack of cloth in Milton Basin.  You have to climb out of the basin to access the cloth in Milton.  I'm pretty sure that ManicManiac was referring to the basin as well when he was talking about staying there indefinitely by setting snares to catch rabbits.

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Milton Basin... there is a lack of cloth in Milton Basin.  You have to climb out of the basin to access the cloth in Milton.  I'm pretty sure that ManicManiac was referring to the basin as well when he was talking about staying there indefinitely by setting snares to catch rabbits.

Basin! yes of course, my bad... definitely no cloth in Milton Basin!  that area devoid of most items for sure.  

17 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Since none of the regions that I listed have a serious lack of food

If those places don't have a lack of food... then there wouldn't really be a reason to add more fishing huts at all then, is there?  :D 

Look, we clearly have a difference of opinion on this.  I don't see gaining much from going round in circles on it.  I don't see a need for any more fishing huts to any of the existing regions because I feel that the Hinterland team already placed them as they saw fit, and I trust their judgement.  You seem to think there should be more...  We don't agree and that's okay :) 

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

If those places don't have a lack of food... then there wouldn't really be a reason to add more fishing huts at all then, is there?  :D 

Look, we clearly have a difference of opinion on this.  I don't see gaining much from going round in circles on it.  I don't see a need for any more fishing huts to any of the existing regions because I feel that the Hinterland team already placed them as they saw fit, and I trust their judgement.  You seem to think there should be more...  We don't agree and that's okay :) 

Couldn't that same stance apply to, say, fire drills being added to the game.  Hitnerland has already given us numerous fire starting methods as they see fit.  Why should there be more?

All I'm saying is that, since the all the regions have ample food from wildlife, does the addition of a single fishing hut in any of them disrupt the game balance.  IMO, it doesn't.  All it does is add a little variety to what sort of activities the player can spend their time doing in those regions.  I don't think more variety is a bad thing.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1