Mountain Basin Fishing Shack or Craftable Fishing Tent

piddy3825

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

If those places don't have a lack of food... then there wouldn't really be a reason to add more fishing huts at all then, is there?  :D 

Look, we clearly have a difference of opinion on this.  I don't see gaining much from going round in circles on it.  I don't see a need for any more fishing huts to any of the existing regions because I feel that the Hinterland team already placed them as they saw fit, and I trust their judgement.  You seem to think there should be more...  We don't agree and that's okay :) 

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Couldn't that same stance apply to, say, fire drills being added to the game.  Hitnerland has already given us numerous fire starting methods as they see fit.  Why should there be more?

All I'm saying is that, since the all the regions have ample food from wildlife, does the addition of a single fishing hut in any of them disrupt the game balance.  IMO, it doesn't.  All it does is add a little variety to what sort of activities the player can spend their time doing in those regions.  I don't think more variety is a bad thing.

Hey fellas,

first off, thanks for the lively debate on this topic.  I see the various perspectives and respect both points of view.  So thanks for contributing to the discussion.  I think we can all say that Hinterland has developed an outstanding project and kudos to the team for staying the course with their vision considering the games lengthy ongoing development.  I personally would like to see more craftable items on the survival side of the platform, hence my topic was a craftable  fishing shack.  only for the reason to catch fish for producing lamp oil.  Food production in this case would be a fortunate by product.  As to the logic behind Hinterland's reasoning for placing some items in the game world and not in others, that's is a topic worthy of another discussion thread in and of itself.  lol!

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2019 at 4:08 AM, ManicManiac said:

Agreed... that's why I called it a game changer, but also that it would change it for the worse.  It would make things way too easy.

I would like to think that fishing huts and holes are placed in their location right now for a reason: because its where fish are most guaranteed to be fished out of. Now if let's say, they do add the option to make fishing holes on ice lakes well then in a technical context, the guarantee for taking fish out of that hole would be greatly reduced so that this kind of feature can't be exploited. In which case spending calories just to make a makeshift fishing hole on a lake would likely to be something we'd resort to in an emergency situation. Now, I'm not sure how useful this emergency option would be to the gameplay value, but if balance with the difficulty is the concern here I think this could be a work around.

Of course I have little to no knowlegde how the game coding for this would work but I think it could be simple trade-off to this kind of feature.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JujuBear said:

I would like to think that fishing huts and holes are placed in their location right now for a reason: because its where fish are most guaranteed to be fished out of. Now if let's say, they do add the option to make fishing holes on ice lakes well then in a technical context, the guarantee for taking fish out of that hole would be greatly reduced so that this kind of feature can't be exploited. In which case spending calories just to make a makeshift fishing hole on a lake would likely to be something we'd resort to in an emergency situation. Now, I'm not sure how useful this emergency option would be to the gameplay value, but if balance with the difficulty is the concern here I think this could be a work around.

Of course I have little to no knowlegde how the game coding for this would work but I think it could be simple trade-off to this kind of feature.

I would not want to see that sort of trade off.  Fishing is already time consuming and frequently results in catching nothing at the higher difficulties in the regions where it is already available.  I would not want to see that success rate lowered just to enable people to plop down holes in the ice anywhere they please (with or without being able to make a shelter).  This addition, in that case,  would just serve to render what we already have in the game completely useless.

Edited by UpUpAway95

@JujuBear,

It's not a bad trade off I suppose... but I think you were right on target with your first sentence:

15 hours ago, JujuBear said:

I would like to think that fishing huts and holes are placed in their location right now for a reason

Considering the team placed those huts very deliberately...  I don't see a need for any more of them in any of the currently existing zones.  I know people have their preferences and some even seem to want more conveniences while still clamoring for the game to brutally challenging (which of course are incongruous ideas).  I think it could have been an interesting addition, but the more I've thought about it the more I realize that more fishing huts/player made fishing holes would just kind of feel cheap. 

19 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I would not want to see that sort of trade off.  Fishing is already time consuming and frequently results in catching nothing at the higher difficulties in the regions where it is already available.  I would not want to see that success rate lowered just to enable people to plop down holes in the ice anywhere they please (with or without being able to make a shelter).  This addition, in that case,  would just serve to render what we already have in the game completely useless.

11 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

considering the team placed those huts very deliberately...  I don't see a need for any more of them in any of the currently existing zones.  I know people have their preferences and some even seem to want more conveniences while still clamoring for the game to brutally challenging (which of course are incongruous ideas).  I think it could have been an interesting addition, but the more I've thought about it the more I realize that more fishing huts/player made fishing holes would just kind of feel cheap. 

These are very fair points. I made the comment with the context of the theoretical possibility that they'd would add it in the first place and how it may have worked if it did. And going back to my first sentence, the existing huts are already plentiful and conveniently placed for us, so I have no gripe here.