Rabbit Socks

XDBarlowDX

Boot liners made out of rabbit felt would be a good "DIY" option for the sock clothing slots. For crafting you wouldn't need a workbench, but would need a knife and a cooking pot +fuel and water, and long, long processing time. 

• Upvote 2

If they add an ability to spin fibres, knit socks could possibly be made from spinning the softer under layer of fur of almost any animal already in the game.  We could make a spindle or spinning wheel from reclaimed wood as a start to acquiring the skill.

They could even consider adding a mountain goat and allow us to make a version of mohair (although mohair itself comes from angora goats), but you get the idea.

I would certainly like a way to make socks and even underwear from renewable sources. 

• Upvote 1

Hmm, I feel like the decision to limit craftable items from hides to two different objects for (almost) every creature is a deliberate game design decision.

I kind of support having some slots unable to be filled with crafted gear. It gives a reason to go climb Timberwolf Mountain, or explore Milton. There's a reward for taking the risk of travelling away from your safe zone, instead of just hunting and crafting everything you desire.

• Like 1

I agree with Jimmy. We should be able to craft outer layers to prevent a frostbite, but crafting everything (eg. inner layers) would mean there is no incentive to explore, especially since the crafted clothing is better than their premade counterpart.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:55 AM, Eldeon said:

I agree with Jimmy. We should be able to craft outer layers to prevent a frostbite, but crafting everything (eg. inner layers) would mean there is no incentive to explore, especially since the crafted clothing is better than their premade counterpart.

Well, the wood needed to craft the spinning wheel could be uber special and only found in one remote location - perhaps at Perseverance Mills.

Edited by UpUpAway95

On 8/30/2019 at 2:55 AM, Eldeon said:

, especially since the crafted clothing is better than their premade counterpart.

Better than some, but if you look at the full wardrobe available in the game crafted clothing gets a rating of "good" in nearly every category, and you pay for that with extreme weight.  The clothing items with an "excellent" rating are almost entirely old-world items.  I'll take an Expedition Parka over a Moosehide Cloak any day.  Sure your wetness and defense aren't anything to write home about, but the warmth and windproofing it offers, for only 1.5kg?  You can double up on those and STILL be lighter than a single cloak.  Mukluks vs. deerhide boots?  Mukluks may be a little lighter on the defense, but provide the same warmth/windproofing for less weight.  The list goes on and on.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Better than some, but if you look at the full wardrobe available in the game crafted clothing gets a rating of "good" in nearly every category, and you pay for that with extreme weight.  The clothing items with an "excellent" rating are almost entirely old-world items.  I'll take an Expedition Parka over a Moosehide Cloak any day.  Sure your wetness and defense aren't anything to write home about, but the warmth and windproofing it offers, for only 1.5kg?  You can double up on those and STILL be lighter than a single cloak.  Mukluks vs. deerhide boots?  Mukluks may be a little lighter on the defense, but provide the same warmth/windproofing for less weight.  The list goes on and on.

They could even add a "comfort" rating that decreases the rate of fatigue if you have manufactured clothing that would reasonably feel smoother against the skin.  Something like crafted socks or underwear could also result in a further negative to movement speed.

9 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

This is true, but I usually play on higher difficulties (interloper or custom extreme interloper) where these "excellent" items don't spawn. And even on the lower difficulties, the expedition parka and  the mukluks are  so rare, that you usually already have the deerskin boots/crafted coat before you find them.  So they improve quality of life a little bit, but aren't essential and not always worth the trip to the summit in Timberwolf Mountain.

• 1 month later...

I still like the idea of boot liners. But what else could we do with the rabbit fur?

We could upgrade the ear wraps? So, it would take 1 skin and 1 wrap to do, but you might get something that´s plus 3 for warmth?

I also think we could line either the cowl or the Long Scarf like this. 

Just a couple of extra ideas. 🙂