Nit-Picking about Rifle/Ammo

robdoar

The description for the .303 British (Enfield?) says it will certainly kill a deer, and "maybe" a wolf.

Anything that can take down a Whitetail Stag will kill a wolf.

If it is in fact an Enfield, the magazine capacity should be 10+1

Also, the rifle boxes are un-named. While I don't know if there will be more than one rifle in the game, the boxes should be named with the type of ammo.

Just nit-picking, but I know you're striving for accuracy. :D

Guest Alan Lawrance

Great to have this kind of feedback -- and it's the sort of thing that is pretty easy for us to change.

Excuse my lack of gun knowledge, but what does 10+1 mean for the capacity? 10 rounds in the clip + 1 in the chamber?

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the info, Rob.

Yes, the Enfield (No. 4) should have a 10-round capacity, and be reloaded using 5-round clips. My dad has one, and I've fired it many times. :)

The rifle is tuned for gameplay and not realism, although where the two overlap, I'd love to ensure we have both.

Does the accuracy of the rifle lessen as the rifle durability decreases? Also, what is the zero on the rifle? Is it the white dot or the front post while looking down the sights? I tried using the rifle sights themselves and I was missing like crazy at distance...I'm not sure if this was just poor aim or if I was using the wrong aiming reference.

• Hinterland

Our ballistics model is pretty simple at the moment. Aim at the white dot. There is an accuracy rating afforded to the weapon itself. Range matters. I'd like to overhaul the firearms system in the game somewhere down the road, though I don't expect guns will ever be a big part of the game.

I don't expect guns will ever be a big part of the game.

Thanks for the tips.

I completely agree. Firearms in this type of scenario are a tool, just like a hatchet or matches. Generic is good as far as I'm concerned. As long as it goes "bang" and you bring down the target, it's all that matters.

• 3 months later...

Apologies if this is digging up old discussions and similar, but is there potential for a scope/viewfinder to be added into the game? I am aware that guns are not centric to this game, and neither is the firearm dynamics a top priority, but could a simple 4-6x hunting scope be added? I'm not overly familiar with the mechanics of firearms (I only have a rough understanding of the theory behind them) since here in Britain, pretty much all firearms are illegal, but I would have thought that a professional hunter, such as the trapper, would have a scope (unless his name is Simo Häyhä).

It would be nice if it could be found somewhere on the map, separate from the rifle itself, as a bonus for explorers.

Again, apologies if I have been flogging a dead horse.

• 4 weeks later...

More thread necromancy, but I registered just to reply!

First I'd like to let everyone know that the 10 round magazine in the Lee Enfield is perfectly legal as the 5 round limit is only for centrefire semi-automatic. Anything manually cycled is fine. Also the limit is very specifically for the magazine and not the firearm, so it's very common in Canada to get "handgun" magazines that conveniently fit in your semi automatic rifle to legally have 10 round capacity.

As a proud Canadian-made Lee-Enfield owner I'd love it if Hinterlands could change it to be more representative of the real deal. The enfield is a huge part of our collective Canadian heritage and it would be a disservice to see it in name alone. The quick and easy "fix" would be to shrink down the bolt handle and change the sight to an aperture sight. Changing the name of the ammo to ".303 British" or just ".303B" would be nice too as they are different incompatible cartridges.

Canadians have harvested more game with the .303 British than every other round combined, and while I can understand game balance should come first, I would want you to know it was not rare for South Africans to hunt elephant with their Enfields. I doubt a wolf would survive being shot anywhere with a .303.

The easy solution would be to add other firearms and ammunition to the game, but I feel the firearms and ammo should be rare enough that most players would not find a working combination if there were mutliple options availble. The only other firearm you'd likely come across in remote Canada would be a shotgun.

If you do still want to add a scope to the enfield, it was common for Canadian veterans to "sporterize" their enfields by removing as much extra wood as possible and bolting on a scope as the full military dressed rifle is quite heavy. Today if you were shopping for an enfield, 95% on the market would be in this condition for about $100 and the original un-modified rifles in good condition are quite rare and usually go for over $500. The realism issue being scopes need to be re-sighted constantly if you don't handle them very carefully. A task which would be very difficult given the scarcity of ammunition in the game.

When I started this post I did not intent to write several paragraphs about the Lee Enfield; I am sorry. This is a topic of great importance to me and I hope my enthusiasm for this rifle finds it way to you my friends.

• 3 weeks later...
Think of the boxes you find as 20 round boxes with only 5 rounds in them. You won't find 20 rounds at a time for balance reasons.

Which balance reasons are those? The fact that I've killed 6 wolves in Coastal Town and I still get attacked by a new wolf every day? Or the fact that the frozen lake in Coastal Highway has such an abundance of wolves, you'd need a mortar or artillery to have them go extinct.

Well this is the Dark Souls of survival games.

But speaking of artillery, there IS one way of giving the Enfield more punch without breaking the game. You find handloads. One of the trappers must surely have the equipment. And part of the crafting system would be to load up BETTER BULLETS. Something akin to the legendary Woodleigh 215 grain .312" soft point controlled expansion slugs. They turn the Enfield into a genuine bear stopper. Create an in-game equivalent box of bullets with a very limited supply of powder and primed brass (maybe in the prepper's cache) and allow the player to increase the damage by doing a little handloading. So you have your regular hunting rounds, and the +P wolf stoppers (or maybe bear stoppers if they wake up in a future version).

Of course this gives rise to issues like how you swap ammo types and whether or not the devs even want to go down that path at all.

I personally like that the weapon is old and that ammo is in short supply. I see it as this was the local guys weapon. It is in good shape, but the sights have drifted a little over the years from getting knocked. It doesn't matter to the owner as they are used to it.

I just wish they'd add another way to kill wolves without needing to get hand 2 hand, a spear for example.

Think of the boxes you find as 20 round boxes with only 5 rounds in them. You won't find 20 rounds at a time for balance reasons.

Which balance reasons are those? The fact that I've killed 6 wolves in Coastal Town and I still get attacked by a new wolf every day? Or the fact that the frozen lake in Coastal Highway has such an abundance of wolves, you'd need a mortar or artillery to have them go extinct.

How about the fact that the game would be way too easy with a load of bullets?

If you get attacked every day at the coastal town, maybe you should find a better place to camp? I've spend over 150 days on the Coastal Highway map without being attacked by a wolf once. And without needing to shoot anything. The amount of bullets is more than enough as it is.

I do agree with The_Hawk35 that we need more ways to kill wolves without fighting them hand to hand.

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry to be necroing the thread, but if nobody has told you yet, you could harvest the rifle and you'll get the bullets returned that were in the rifle + materials of the rifle itself. That way you can keep one rifle repaired and functional and tone down the load.

Archived