Animal footprints when following a blood trail

Nogen

Hi everyone!

I was playing yesterday and I notice something new to me.

In my current survival game, I'm based in the 2 stories house, past the Quonset Garage in Costal Highway. As I was messing round my base, a wolf track me and followed me up to my settle. At this point, I decide to shoot it with my revolver. It seem that I missed it, since the wolf charged me! I shoot another shot, but missed again I think and then a struggle ensue. I quickly won the struggle with my hunting knife, the wolf fleeing in pain and bleeding.

Now, I usually not bother to follow the blood trail, has usually, the blood trail vanished after following it for some time, even if I didn't lost it for a second. The blood trail just stop at some point, for no apparent reason. But I decided this time to follow the trail. So far so good, the trail keep going on and at some point, the blood trail also had clear, distinct wolf footprints. Pretty distanced from each set of footprints to the other at the beginning and as I went further, the footprints get closer and closer. The animal must has stopped to run at this point, slowly walked in pain as he bleed off. Eventually, not long after each set of footprints got really close, I found the wolf, lying dead.

So, I don't know if this is new, if the tracking mechanism have been reworked, but it seem new to me and improve. Is someone else notice it? Is this really new or just me that miss that for this long?

• Upvote 1

I have noticed that footprints, animals' and my own, seem to be much clearer, and persist much longer now, depending on the weather.I  haven't needed to follow a blood trail yet, so I can't speak to that, but if it is clear and relatively calm out, footprint trails seem to act like I would expect, more 'realistic", same with how they blur and disappear during windy weather and blizzards. So, I do think something was tweaked to make them fade more "realistically" over time and with weather effects. 

• Upvote 2

They do seem clearer and more persistent to me also, I've had some real good fun tracking deer recently that had run off staggering distances. I couldn't precisely put my finger on it, but something seems to have been done to make the trails and prints easier to follow. And after experiencing some real bummers in that regard I welcome this very much.

7 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

...(footprints) seem to be much clearer, and persist much longer now, depending on the weather.

I thought so too, but I suspected perhaps it was just in my head (that perhaps I just hadn't been paying close attention before).  I'm glad other's have noticed as well.  It was actually really useful to see a bear's foot prints leading out of its cave.  I was able to get a feel for the direction it went and how roughly long ago it had passed by (they were slightly faded - and after getting up to a good vantage I was able to visually follow the trail all the way out to the draw distance).  On Timber Wolf Mountain that kind of information is really valuable. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

So far it's been pretty random for me.  The best set of footprints I've seen after a blood trail stopped has been in my very first playtrhough while tracking a bear I shot wit h the rifle in Coastal Highway.  The bear died along the side of the road between the quonset garage and the log sort.  I lost the blood trail way above the village and was just walking around in random directions listening for crows for quite a long time when I spotted the footprints along the roadside... and they led me right to the bear.  In recent updates, I've followed blood trails where I saw no tracks after the blood trail stopped even after spotting the wolf itself limping in the distance.  I will say I haven't noticed any tracks that just disappeared before my eyes recently.  That used to happen quite frequently if I paused to look behind me for any reason.