Workbench and crafting idea

tommykneip

Ok, so like to leave spare knives, hatchets and quality tools on top of the workbenches in my main shelters. There's no reason to be carrying all that stuff around, right? You can look at the attached image to see how my workbench looks like.

So, I think it's a good idea if the items that are placed on top of workbenches counted as if they're in your inventory whenever you're crafting something in that workbench. For example, if quality tools is placed in the workbench, I could use it to craft simple arrows without the need to pick it up. Sometimes I just forget to drop the item again and I end up carrying it all the way to another region by mistake. It's a simple change that would improve quality of life for crafting and I don't see any immersion breaking in it, that is basically how it happens in real life. You'd just leave your tools by the desk, and not pick them up and carry them arround in your backpack by mistake after you're done working.

Also, on another note: Arrow Shaft, Arrow Head, Line and Hook are all classified as "tools" in the inventory, while they should actually be classified as "materials", or at least appear in both filters. On a similar note, bandage is listed as a material and it isn't used for crafting anything. (as far as I know lol)

workbench.jpg

• Upvote 5

Good one. But the choice is required if several tools are conflicting on the workbench and/or inventory. There also been a proposal to use the stuff that is placed inside the drawer. I would say tools go on top, materials go in the drawer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wormer said:

Good one. But the choice is required if several tools are conflicting on the workbench and/or inventory. There also been a proposal to use the stuff that is placed inside the drawer. I would say tools go on top, materials go in the drawer.

Yeah that's a good idea for the drawer, would also improve quality of life a lot for crafting.

Another thing I thought on this idea is that it could be done by using "slots" on top of the workbench, just like we have cooking slots in fireplaces or stoves, so you put the tools in there. Maybe it's easier to do it this way since the "slots" mechanic is already in the game in some way.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2019 at 2:16 PM, tommykneip said:

So, I think it's a good idea if the items that are placed on top of workbenches counted as if they're in your inventory whenever you're crafting something in that workbench. For example, if quality tools is placed in the workbench, I could use it to craft simple arrows without the need to pick it up. Sometimes I just forget to drop the item again and I end up carrying it all the way to another region by mistake. 

Ha. I have actually done this myself.
Yeah I think it is a good idea, seeing as to how well they improved cooking, maybe there could be an update that adds these kind of improvements to crafting in the future that would be similar to how hinterland did the update that improved cooking features. 

On 5/3/2019 at 12:16 AM, tommykneip said:

So, I think it's a good idea if the items that are placed on top of workbenches counted as if they're in your inventory whenever you're crafting something in that workbench.

I have never stopped to think about this, but since you say it I like the idea. Would be really useful and it would relieve a lot of weight.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:50 AM, tommykneip said:

Another thing I thought on this idea is that it could be done by using "slots" on top of the workbench, just like we have cooking slots in fireplaces or stoves, so you put the tools in there. Maybe it's easier to do it this way since the "slots" mechanic is already in the game in some way.

Cooking system was pretty 'simple' before the update (I ate many times raw meat) and was clear that it had to be improved. Sounds a good idea seeing the "slots" system implemented for crafting too.