Extreme LOCAL anomalies

StrayCat

Hello,

I just got an idea, but can't find if it's a good one...
In midgame, after 30-40 days, we usually have anything needed and start to keep a little routine. I remember when Hinterland warn us to empty a region before an update : many people have to go back accross the whole map to secure dozens of piles of stuff... So I asked myself : would'nt it be cool if SOMETHING prevented us to live in a whole region for a few days/week ? Something that would only affect 1 region, and would "force" us to bug out ?

So I'm trying to find what THIS THING could be.
A giant blizzard raging for days ? (hello whiteout challenge)
Extremely aggressive wolves with a way larger detection range ?
Aurora that continues even during the daylight ?
A cold wave, with extremely low temperatures, even inside ?
Complete disappearance of animals for 1-2 weeks, so there's nothing to eat ?
Other ideas ?

I would love to have to choose to either bug out that local anomaly, or to bear it with enough resources. This would affect our plans, and force us to adapt. Frequency of these giant anomalies, caused by the aurora, could be tuned in the custom menu.

Edited by StrayCat
  • Upvote 1

I think the weather being random and chaotic is part of what makes the game brutal, but fair.  Whether a player decides to hunker down in one spot or stay nomadic should be a player choice, and not mandated by a system that is biased toward trying to force players into particular courses of action... In a story mode it would make sense because it's a guided narrative anyway - the story funnels the player toward specific points and goals... but in sandbox I don't think it would be good idea.  We already have weather/temp degradation and I feel like that works out fine. 

We already have a mechanic that forces player movement from indoors to outdoors (cabin fever) and I still personally think it needs some modification.  I think as long as you are staying active/productive indoors (like crafting/cooking/repairing/mending) you should be able to "stave off" cabin fever, or being able to read the non-skill books to pass the time (thus giving them another in-game purpose other than being fuel for a fire).

My point is that sandbox should be your experience - your story.  I feel that additional mechanics that force players to do certain things in sandbox should be kept to a minimum.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

That's fair enough to say... I think there is a lot of discussion about players feeling that there is not a lot to keep the game challenging when a player is geared up and good at surviving.  In some ways I can agree with these opinions from a game play perspective... but I would also say in return that dealing with boredom and restlessness is also part of any long term survival situation in isolation...  Boredom is a luxury, :) it means that you've gotten better as surviving.  Having found reliable to care for your basic needs, the mind has time to wonder and get board so you find things to do or risks to take.  To paraphrase what Raph has mentioned in the past: weather and wildlife can be brutal but manageable... what will get you in the end are your bad decisions  :) 

• Upvote 1

I don't see this neither. The point of 'survival mode' is the open world. This would be something more suitable for Challenges or Story Mode. Maybe in 'custom rules' can be something that the player can enable or not (and could be interesting as more challenging experience) but definitely I wouldn't like to see it by default in 'sandbox' mode.

Yes, but the Challenges would still count as a guided experience, and forcing a player to action makes sense in a guided experience.  I was just saying that in the Sandbox... the pure survival mode, those things that force a player to specific actions should be kept to a minimum because the story we are experiencing is ours... it's the story we create.  That's all I meant.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1