Wolves Keep Running From Me

oregonoutback

Hi all, I couldn't find a topic on this, so I'll start a new thread. I'm still on my Voyager survival run, day 152 now... But a weird thing has happened. About 70% of the time I encounter a wolf now, they'll bark at me like they're going to charge me, so I get ready with my bow or gun, but then the wolves keep tucking tail and running away like they're already injured or frightened. Does anyone know why this might have started? I did just craft the bear skin coat, and have a wolf skin coat as well, but I didn't think that clothing could really influence wildlife... right? I mean, I guess this isn't a bad thing, but it just seems odd to me that all of the wolves in my game have suddenly become so skittish. 

27 minutes ago, oregonoutback said:

Hi all, I couldn't find a topic on this, so I'll start a new thread. I'm still on my Voyager survival run, day 152 now... But a weird thing has happened. About 70% of the time I encounter a wolf now, they'll bark at me like they're going to charge me, so I get ready with my bow or gun, but then the wolves keep tucking tail and running away like they're already injured or frightened. Does anyone know why this might have started? I did just craft the bear skin coat, and have a wolf skin coat as well, but I didn't think that clothing could really influence wildlife... right? I mean, I guess this isn't a bad thing, but it just seems odd to me that all of the wolves in my game have suddenly become so skittish. 

The bearskin coat and wolfskin coat both have a chance to scare off wolves.  I don't know if it's cumulative or if it just goes by your outermost layer though. But it does all come down to RNG, and it sounds like you've been getting lucky.

Rarely, wolves will turn tail and run even without a wolf- or bear-skin coat.  I don't have the exact statistics but it seems about a 1 in 50 chance that a wolf will flee for no reason, on Voyageur.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

The bearskin coat and wolfskin coat both have a chance to scare off wolves.  I don't know if it's cumulative or if it just goes by your outermost layer though. But it does all come down to RNG, and it sounds like you've been getting lucky.

Rarely, wolves will turn tail and run even without a wolf- or bear-skin coat.  I don't have the exact statistics but it seems about a 1 in 50 chance that a wolf will flee for no reason, on Voyageur.

Ah... I didn't think the bear skin or wolf skin coat actually scared away wildlife, but seeing how this started as soon as I put on the bear coat as my outer layer, that makes total sense now. Yeah, I think I might be getting lucky, but right after I made this post I had a wolf try to attack my outside the garage. It was met with a bullet to the face 😅. Anyways, thanks for the answer! 

Guest kristaok

I read where some people say the Skin Coats don't work, but I think they do work towards scaring away baddies. :D 

Still though, I would consider that some amazingly good fortune...  Even with two wolf coats I'd estimate my average chance of spooking the wolves off to be something closer to 1%  :D Is the bear coat really that BA?

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Still though, I would consider that some amazingly good fortune...  Even with two wolf coats I'd estimate my average chance of spooking the wolves off to be something closer to 1%  :D Is the bear coat really that BA?

Same, for me I'd give it a more liberal 15% though.

The best combo for warmth / wind proofing / protection / weight is ...
Wolfskin coat + expedition parka + moosehide satchel + bearskin bedroll

You get the scare-scent factors from the wolfskin coat + moosehide in the satchel + bearskin in the bedroll. coupled with the lightweight of the expedition parka.
Pair those up with rabbitskin hat and mitts plus deerskin pants and boots and you have a very high defence and waterproofing.

The only improvement to that is to add the bearskin coat as well ... but man o man, the weight penalty is horrendous and climbing ropes near impossible (clothes in your pack have a higher weight penalty than work clothes, so it's a tough tradeoff for the movement penalty of wearing them).