Best weapon for wolf fights

Goodzilla

I am wondering what is your experience in close-up fights with wolfs.

The pinch bar is the weakest after my experiences.

So leaves us with the hatched or the knife.

I think the knife is a little bit better than the hatched, but not sure if it is like this or if this is only what my mind thinks would be better in real life.

Depends on your goal, condition, etc.

Knife inflicts a lot of damage but your struggle lasts a while

Hatchet, especially when sharpened, is my weapon of choice. Struggle is moderate but in most case will kill or cause a bleed out. 

Dont forget the hammer. The hammer will quickly get Wolfie off but be careful, as he may circle back for another round. Damage is only minimal and will not lead to bleed out or a kill.

GL!

• Upvote 1

@Bano 

Thank you for your input!

I try to speedrun some of the challenges so my target is to get minimize damage on myself and just get rid of the Wolfe.

So I don’t need to kill him.

Hammer is no choice in my actual mission.

And I did not know that the sharpness of a weapon influence the fight

From what I've noticed in my first struggles, a knife causes small damage, so chances are that the wolf will eventually recover from panic and attack again. It will most lilkely die in the second fight, but may cause more damage. So keep your distance from a stabbed wolf, since bleedout will kill it anyway after a while.

I still don't see much difference in struggle duration and outcome, it brobably depends mostly on mouse-bashing and dice rolls. I usually carry an hatchet because it can also chop wood and frozen meat, but sometimes I used a knife but still can't figure out a pattern. As for sharpness, I've used improvised hatchets in sorry condition in struggles, and they were satisfyingly short even when the hatchet broke hitting the wolf's skull.

I agree that the hammer scares off wolves quickly, but they'll come back. I remember someone posting about having hammered a wolf to death, but it took at least three rounds.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Goodzilla said:

I am wondering what is your experience in close-up fights with wolfs.

The pinch bar is the weakest after my experiences.

So leaves us with the hatched or the knife.

I think the knife is a little bit better than the hatched, but not sure if it is like this or if this is only what my mind thinks would be better in real life.

You can find more detailed experimentation by the awesome @Timber Wolf here:

In short, there are many variables that determine your rate of success in a struggle, weapon choice is just one of them and it has huge variance even when isolated from other factors. That said, Hatchet is the best in average and has the less amount of deviation from the mean.

Edited by Dan_
Grammar.
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Goodzilla said:

WOW thank you very much for this link to Timber Wolf's experimentation!!!

That is just great !

Also, I should add: These values are relevant to the regular hatchet. If using an improvised hatchet, the figures change and the hammer has lesser average damage but higher deviation, while the improvised hatchet has higher average damage but less deviation from the mean. 

Meaning that in Interloper the hatchet and hammer are pretty close to one another in terms of effectiveness against wolves. TimberWolf has done an incredible job on these threads. 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...