meat suddenly rancid

reginaphalange

I cooked heaps of bear meat and they were all at the same condition raw, all the same condition cooked. 

Suddenly one morning, a hunk of meat in my pack is rancid, but the other cooked at the same time (and in my pack for the same amount of time) is not. *shrug*

Figure it's just a bug, but I couldn't find anything on the forum about it.

20190320221146_1.thumb.jpg.23a17ba5827854a75c7c908aad2d1402.jpg20190320221541_1.thumb.jpg.d39d2a723579226c96384126a77ec561.jpg

Guest kristaok

That's really weird. 

I usually only carry a couple meats at a time, the rest I leave outside so they won't rot as quick. 

12 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

You sure it wasn't an older piece of meat you had in your pack or you picked up somewhere?

That sounds like the most feasible explanation.

Or it could also be a bug, for some reason the food would spoil faster if its just a smaller piece.

Endulge me a bit - this piece, was it originally a full serving, or was it always just a smaller scrap?

If you ate half of it before sleeping, then maybe this is a bug related to what I think was always intended behaviour for canned food. Im not entirely sure because it was so long ago but I believe that in earlier versions of the game, when you opened a can of food, ate part of it and left the rest, that rest started to spoil rapidly. Maybe this is somehow related to that.

But that is just my wild guess. Its probably either a strange bug, or it was a piece of meat from previous haul that you picked up somewhere.

There is also a thing where the meat spoils the longer it stays on carcass, so if you are like me and process carcasses in parts (8kg of meat at a time, for example) then these "last bits" are often in worst condition, but even if that was so, after cooking it you would have at least 50% condition meat. No way it would spoil this fast.

53 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

That sounds like the most feasible explanation.

Or it could also be a bug, for some reason the food would spoil faster if its just a smaller piece.

Endulge me a bit - this piece, was it originally a full serving, or was it always just a smaller scrap?

If you ate half of it before sleeping, then maybe this is a bug related to what I think was always intended behaviour for canned food. Im not entirely sure because it was so long ago but I believe that in earlier versions of the game, when you opened a can of food, ate part of it and left the rest, that rest started to spoil rapidly. Maybe this is somehow related to that.

But that is just my wild guess. Its probably either a strange bug, or it was a piece of meat from previous haul that you picked up somewhere.

There is also a thing where the meat spoils the longer it stays on carcass, so if you are like me and process carcasses in parts (8kg of meat at a time, for example) then these "last bits" are often in worst condition, but even if that was so, after cooking it you would have at least 50% condition meat. No way it would spoil this fast.

I'm 20000% sure they were both fresh upon shoving them in my pocket, picked from my porch. I didn't know that about the canned food, but I did eat from this chunk of meat before sleeping so it isn't impossible...

Im not entirely sure it was a thing, I just vaguely remember years ago having some food spoil rapidly. When I tested it out later, there was no extra spoilage but that might have been after an update which fixed it. Its also possible that there is just a rare bug which makes food spoil really fast.

What you meantioned with the porch reminds me of a similar situation I remember with rabbit steak. But in my case it was because I had one left-over piece from a previous batch that I mixxed in with the steaks from a new batch.

But I guess that is not your case if you remember eating it before and it wasnt spoiled.

Hmm, here is another idea - during the time between eating it and finding out its rancid, did you by any chance take fall damage? Even a little bit. Or maybe some other kind of damage - like a burn. These situations have been reported in the past to cause random item damage. Its possible your steak got randomly damaged - and its low condition isnt because of food spoilage, but because of an item, getting damaged. Because in TLD, those two are the same thing.

Moving cooked meat from the fire directly to the ground immediately "ruined" the cooked meat.  I think that bug was solved.  At least it has not showed up recently for me and I do recall seeing it happen way back.

As for the cooked bear meat, maybe you went past the "best by" date.  😉

On 3/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, romerabr said:

Sometimes, after you finished the cooking process, when you don't pick the item, and use the move button instead, the meat  will ruin instantly. I don't know if this bug was solved.

23 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

Moving cooked meat from the fire directly to the ground immediately "ruined" the cooked meat.  I think that bug was solved.  At least it has not showed up recently for me and I do recall seeing it happen way back.

It definitely could have been this!  I was cooking outside using a mag lens and just right-click placed the steak both on the fire and on the porch for ALL the bear steaks. So if one steak in the dozens I had were ruined, this is very likely the reason. So I guess it wasn't fixed. 

It is highly unlikely, though not impossible, that I had a fall/injury while carrying the steak, but it's understandable that this would cause Condition deterioration.

Archived