Cinderella Challenge

BareSkin

OK so, @tulkawen was thinking of a way to make Voyager hardcore for someone who never played any other level than Interloper on Survival.

screen_5523cbc1-c667-4ee7-ab23-c4c10ac13ed8.thumb.png.40d0a290e8097ffce22cc54dc591e1c0.png

I swear on my honor I've never hit that "reset stats" button

Here are the set of rules:

*takes out a hatchet and knights @BareSkin with it*

Good Ser! I challenge you to a test!

You must survive 30 days on each voyager map with a single survivor.

The drop location is random and you are map locked on all of them.

Once night 30 ends you must move to a new map before the moon appears above the horizon regardless of the weather. You may take one item of your choice with you. The rest stays behind, including the clothes.

If you are on a map which has no alternative exit but the previous map, you may use your former items while travelling across to a new map, but it's one item limit when you exit. You may swipe. And remember about the moon and ball sleigh turning into pumpkin.

The transition mines and the hydro dam itself are considered part of any zone they are attached to, but you may not make loot stashes in them. If you pick up a treasure cave item while living on a certain map it r belongs to that map now and must be left there once the magic clock rings 30th day. You may sleep in these mines, but consider exits to the other side locked unless it's the migration day.

Feats: nope.

I will report here pseudo-live and welcome any comments or advice.

Let's wait no more!

screen_5e6611a4-5e07-464b-b5ee-d1ea9a836d6c.thumb.png.636afc137e2ba7bbec8ecc1e54193f3f.pngscreen_725f43f8-f2a8-4c7f-9ab2-c6742b8a16b7.thumb.png.ddeaf8c8fd5f3ce530f9e58cf61e9a95.pngscreen_ea97e1dc-d1de-40a0-91a5-5d51dcd43b54.thumb.png.681b3e2bf20c1dc3ee426477354dc5e9.pngscreen_09096113-e175-4eff-bdf9-a4cae30aac0d.thumb.png.58fab77463c40f95d9dde4b9936e6a1d.pngscreen_703ce087-9cfb-41e9-80d3-cbd78be967af.thumb.png.32292d50ba3aac97a09d165b5968f245.png

• Like 4

BareSkin32- D1 [CinderellaTulkawen writing style]

- First time I start in an indoor location, that’s weird.

screen_09475536-5ae4-4d55-b6e9-df016cd09e82.thumb.png.1013e2274ecde87be5c756a110f0cae8.png

-DesoPoint takes ages to let you make your first move, I thought is was because of outdoor shore graphics, it’s not.

-The lighthouse is one of the places I hate most with Skeeter’s.

- I survived 30+ days on Desolation Point in Interloper (Bareskin15), I think I can make it on Voyager.

screen_5dcf0131-36f9-44f2-8a80-817c56562f3b.thumb.png.3dd6b4751727d0783479580b00fee055.png

-Can’t see a damn thing in this early morning, but it’s nice not having to immediately run for avoiding hypo

- Get out in this coldest hour to grad rose hips and stone, come back inside with 80% of my tempbar, that’s incredible!

-OMG, my backpack is already full of nice things, I even have a soda! Disinfectant and antibiotics and painkillers! A bedroll! They even give you 12 matches, and a flare, LOL!

-Try to sleep 1h to get more light, but Rest is a resource, good to know.

-I start to list the loot like when I report Lopers+, but stop immediately… Wool tuke and thick wool sweater are worth mentioning tho

-Rifle cleaning kit? Rifle cartridge ? How could it possibly be useful?

-I don’t brake crates, I’ll come back for them later if needed, for free. Since I need to stay 30 days…

-While waiting for noon I read Wilderness kitchen fully, since I’m fed.

-Snap 2 rabbits at Little

-Loot of the Riken with a luxurious Storm Lantern: as for the torch, it doesn’t produce heat anymore.

-second Storm Lantern… really? Second crowbar? That makes a lot of metal scraps…

-While going to Hibernia with 2 fresh rabbits, can’t hear any howling, are there no wolves at all on Voyager?!

-In the trailer complex, I decide to use my last calories for a 6h-sleepheal. I use my soda to stay hydrated overnight and not spend a match. That eventually allows a 9h sleep.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

First time I start in an indoor location, that’s weird

:D I never got to start indoors on voyager. Seems the game favours you. Welcome to tropical vacation... for now.

It's a start!!! Congratulations!

Don't discount rifles. Take the opportunity to learn about them. ^_^

49 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

While going to Hibernia with 2 fresh rabbits, can’t hear any howling, are there no wolves at all on Voyager?!

:ph34r:

• Upvote 2

Interesting challenge. Thirty days in Desolation Point should be a nice gentle introduction.

But I’m wondering what happens on day 30 when you have to move, naked but for one item, to Old Island Connector. Is it even possible? Winding River and Raven Falls Railway Line seem equally as daunting.

• Upvote 1

BareSkin32- D2 [Cinderella ]

- Wake up fully rested around 3AM, dehydrating but not yet starving

-I I spend the day like this, -3%/h*12h= -36% health. I’ll wait the evening to use my can opener one of my 45% dog food

- while waiting starvation, I loot the place with storm lantern, find… a third storm lantern…

- I transfer starved in Hibernia, and harvest the rabbits fully, barehands, before looting an old fashion parka I’ve never seen before.

- I find 3 more big coats I’ve never seen in Interloper (military/urban/olfashion), what will I do with 4 coats? I really need to stop reporting the loot…

- Found the rifle at Astrid’s cache (my cache actually)

-Safe gives Expedition parka, we Loperers usually find useless crap…

-I love to find books, that’s the last feat I don’t have.

-Repair the rifle and load it with my 9 cartridges waiting blizzard to end.

- Lost 45% health for 12h starvation+dehydration, this is more punishing than expected so clearly one is more punishment than it was before, maybe both.

- There is definitely a wolf when I head towards the bridge, I’m quite surprised and run back to Hibernia. I have to make my brain learn that it is probably not synonymous of death in Voyager.

- At nightflall I'm down to 46% health, I spend my first match with accelerant, cook the rabbit and make water, make a second harvested can, make torches and sleep for 10h

- The fire instantaneously makes AT>0, whatever you put in it. Cheated.

-I forgot to cheat the harvest and cooking bonuses. Next time I’ll remember. Code is Law.

-I don’t boil water, I’ll use the tablets.

-Eat 800 calories, sleep 12h from 43% health back to 100%

screen_109f8c72-bd8b-4774-bab2-4fa0b722f891.thumb.png.885905329a3870b5bf6edcf60850951f.pngscreen_6f5bf742-7fa8-4947-8975-ce5aa580c9a3.thumb.png.ecf17156835a670cafda11f4119ba3e0.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BareSkin said:

The fire instantaneously makes AT>0, whatever you put in it. Cheated.

-I forgot to cheat the harvest and cooking bonuses. Next time I’ll remember. Code is Law.

You're speaking in funny codes. What does this mean? ^_^

It's my understanding that expedition parka is the best coat you can find in the game congrats on this find. Which second coat are you wearing?

Edited by tulkawen

The fire makes the Air Temperature immediately go to +1°C. On Loper it doesn't happen, you have to fight the real air temp back to positive with fuel. Like if AT is-33°, you have to have a fire of 33 sticks to get AT back to positive, that makes an unnecessary long fire.

About the harvest/cooking cheats, first it's kinda cheating, second it's not relevant for a regular Voyager so I will let you discover this when you will need it on Interloper :D . I just hope Hinterland removes this possibility quite soon.

BareSkin32- D3 [Cinderella ]

- Wake up just before dehydration, OK, voyager allows 12h sleep-heal which is basically full life every morning when you can sleep with all 4 needs OK.

-Go outside to drop rabbit meat, hear the Bear walking, but I have no hacksaw and no knife so I head to the mine.

-Loot the mine, find a knife at the church, blizzard kicks in and ends the day before I meet the 3 rabbits.

- In the red car before Hibernia, Cardboard matches. Forgot they existed, just like packs with more than 12 matches.

- I repair clothing until blizzard ends at dusk, I go check this bear with +24°C bonus , FL+6.

- I drag the bear to the Riken, but when I enter it to shoot safely, it magically disappears. Maybe it resets once we switch in the aurora night loading screen?

screen_282e7d9b-bc2e-4652-9fa9-0a76b71b6bad.thumb.png.e3d151e3455a4d1a64450c42997d9414.png

-Since my health is still <50%, I just sleep a few hours until dawn, starved and dehydrated.

BareSkin32- D4 [Cinderella ]

- Wake up and head outside to make a nice morning fire for water

- While it boils I go check the Riken: the bear is back. I shoot him from the boat and let it run. This is so easy with a rifle. One bullet, done.

- I'm kinda angry it took me 4 days to shoot the first one, I hope it will respawn/die/cure/be crafted before I have to leave that map.

screen_2cfc24f1-bf6a-478c-9879-942181318d65.thumb.png.219ccfa831709917a55b92bf2138d5aa.png

- Once the water is finished, back to the Riken I see crows, I go quarter the carcass: my first bear hide is now curing.

- I spend the rest of the day processing the meat.

screen_c79a3aee-35b5-4526-8dc2-9590891ecb8c.thumb.png.a2192e45c323cde78f4623dc4971ebfe.pngscreen_5749ce12-55d4-430b-b2ae-8429a1b98c25.thumb.png.f6f5ce253f94df06b75c7b629245949b.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

@BareSkin I did notice that I must use coal in order to warm up by the fire on Interloper if I'm outside, but I assumed that was because the general temp is much lower and I'm dressed in less. Fire also has maximum if you fill the flame bar and it doesn't go over zero then it won't get any warmer even if you add a hundred sticks.

@tulkawen good to know, never understood what this flame-UI was meant for.

BareSkin32- D5 [Cinderella ]

- Before sleeping I eat a big bear steaks (990 calories, I need only 810 but I’m a jet-setter) on purpose since I’m tired, but I don’t contract parasites risk… It might be deactivated on Voyager? That would basically mean I already have all my food for the 30 days I’m supposed to live here.

-Sleep-heal 12h from 25% to 100%

- Snowstorm in the morning, harvest another bar bag. And finally spend the all day honing my skills: cooking 3 (I drop the can opener) and Harvesting 2.5, lots of bear uncooked yet, I prefer to cook in the morning.

- Back in Hibernia, I use the 2 pieces of rabbit meat I left there just for reading Sewing Primer (for my last feat “Book Smarts”)

- I ate a total of 1 soda (first night hydration) + 1 dog food (for harvested can) as a grand total for civilized food.

- Sleep starved for 6h until dawn, I don’t need the heal

screen_e3f3760d-5433-44fd-8cd5-c8649c452023.thumb.png.aa73a6e4a71afb7449d055133a68674b.pngscreen_3b6c6ae4-f6f2-4aa4-8d7e-9655e4f80b59.thumb.png.9918e31ee57f2054b5da03fdd337a30d.png

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Hibernia Whale Processing, isn't it called that way the big industrial building?

So it is this big yard. I guess its name slipped my mind. It has two floors and a fire barrel. Your last screenshot shows some kind of nook though that doesn't look like it. Why build a fire on the floor when you have that barrel?

1 hour ago, tulkawen said:

that doesn't look like it

Because it's not :D . But since you're the referee, I swear I'm still on DesoPoint. I've done my cooking at the Riken.

BareSkin32- D6 [Cinderella ]

- I wake up in the cold morning and go light a fire up for water.

- Used 6 matches so far, didn't bother having torches since I still have 68 in lockers and 19 in invetory

- The day is clear, I use the maglens to train fairestarting

- Sun disappears 1h later, I spend my morning collecting sticks

- Usually when I brake branches, I’m on a late Loper (day 50+), here I do this cause I’m lazy and it’s free

- Since I’m on Voyager I visit the end-of- the-world cave. I clear the place with my rifle and exit the cave with tons of fuel and some steaks, harvesting 3, I leave the second rifle.

- Sleep around 7 or 8h in the cave starved, from 77% down to 64%: these -13% should have been coming from a 12h sleep, so Hunger definitely had its punishing code doubled from -1%/h to -2%/h, good to know. It makes Sleepwalker 0 balanced instead of Sleepwalker 1

screen_ebf2721b-cdd2-463a-98fc-e81f16a9bd89.thumb.png.4672ff8898436d5ef93fd1abdf79d62a.png

BareSkin32- D7 [Cinderella ]

- Cold morning: cook at cave entrance, Cooking4.

- At noon, back to Hibernia in sunlight to train firestarting with maglens, Level2

- 12h sleep at Riken, on calories from cooked deer from the morning cave, even if it wasn’t needed for healing.

Edited by BareSkin
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

:D For some reason I thought you were both sleeping at Hibernia and cooking. You did sniper the bear at Riken, but wounded he could have ran off anywhere and might be closer to another safe spot.

How come the wolves aren't on your tail when you're harvesting the bear though? There were at least 3 in the area when I was visiting on voyager and they were a frisky bunch.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:58 PM, tulkawen said:

Which second coat are you wearing?

I chose the Urban Parka for it's best "inside warmth weight ratio". Military is warmer but double the weight.

32 minutes ago, tulkawen said:

How come the wolves aren't on your tail when you're harvesting the bear though?

If you look carefully, I didn't harvest the bear ;)

BareSkin32- D8 [Cinderella ]

- Morning cooking, then reading, then head to Katie’s.

- At Katie’s, I harvest 1 carcass and 3 rabbits just for training, I drop all the meat uncooked and didn’t even make a fire.

- I find a bow (first time since I lpay TLD), 1 good arrow and 1 broken and 2 arrows. That could be helpful fighting boredom later, and since I have a forge and too much fuel/scraps... I regret not having launched Saplings curing, then remember I don't have any saw or hatchet.

-I came for a copy of Survive the Outdoors, there’s none.

screen_5bcecfeb-cbf4-4f3b-b135-b0874f05e2c5.thumb.png.ce805f10f220119c51c7e88b95c4de20.png

- At nightfall I end up near Coal Mine #3, I check the rules: I’m allowed to sleep in there, but can’t drop anything for later, and if I take anything it belongs to Desolation Point and will have to be left upon leaving

- So my strategy is, since I want to keep the mine loot for day 30-60: I’ll explore with storm lantern, don’t touch anything, drop the bedroll, sleep, pick up my bedroll and leave the place. I really hope there is either a bedroll or an harvested can in the mine, that would make my choice between these 2 key items easier for day 30 since I cannot know what I will find at Harri’s.

screen_f16920e4-cb64-46b0-a3cd-254e4a305ee8.thumb.png.674053ffcddbd3ad4a290d715e0fd16d.png

This will have to wait for day 31. I can already hear the wolves waiting for my naked body. Human clothes are bothersome when you're a wolf.

<exhaustive loot in the mine>: hook, prybar, soda, book, 1 scrap, 3 coals in a small crate, storm lantern, sewing primer, 1 reclaimed, some newsprints I shouldn’t need when I arrive, some lantern fuel, 2 flares, work gloves, 5 crates, 1 cloth, 1 accelerant, work boots, salty crackers, fleece mittens, many stones and 19 coals on the floor.

No Bedroll.

No can.

This is critical, I needed one of these two to survive the next phase.

If I don't take a bedroll, I'll end up dead frozen in a car. If I don't take a can, I'll end up dead dried from within.

Ignition was critical too (can't take the maglens anyway), but before slipping sleepy into my bedroll, I see some matches one the shelves.

screen_3fa9a80b-f977-4fd6-b486-58eee3999bb3.thumb.png.26e54568a7fa3417f85fd5e83e6ad039.png

I dream of canned food and can openers.

• Like 3

If I were you I'd take the can- the clothes on your back can be harvested for cloth, and every region has plenty of sticks, meaning that you could build a snow shelter with socks and underwear. While cans are also common, you can't find them in the middle of nowhere. Good luck on this challenge, I'm really liking the premise and how it's going!

EDIT: I now realize that you're not allowed to take clothes with you. I accept my new status as a dingus, and apologize profusely.

Edited by Sgt. Eclair
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

WTG,  @BareSkin you are certainly living true to your name... or you will be on Day 31.  B|  As always the tales of your exploits inspire and entertain.  

If you want to know the breakdown of various difficulty settings, click the link in my signature. 

Stay warm!

Edited by epower
spelling
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BareSkin said:

If you look carefully, I didn't harvest the bear

You know what I meant, Ser Sneaky! In order to cook him you need to pick up his pieces and carry them. A wolf magnet right there. :ph34r: Voyager wolves aren't that lazy to pass up a bear steak. :D

As for the cans, there's always a chance to find a can of poisoned peaches... then you'd have to eat them to free the can BUT you'll get the can.-_-

I'd read grab the book and read it while I'm comfortable since it always costs calories and it helps right away. B|

19 hours ago, BareSkin said:

Human clothes are bothersome when you're a wolf.

Reminds me of an anecdote about a mom shark teaching her kid how to eat tourists.

MS: Swim up to them. Make 3 circles and then eat them.

KS: Why can't I eat them right away?

MS: Fine. Eat them with all the poop.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Eclair said:

you could build a snow shelter

The mine only has 1 cloth, but if I take a bedroll I can harvest 10. It circles back that if I have a bedroll I don't need a shelter.

9 hours ago, cullam said:

If you end up deciding to take the bedroll

I think I have no other choice than taking a can and sleeping in a car. We'll see if I find enough fuel and luck (no winds) for that... I might still craft the bearskin bedroll for the fun of it, never done that before :D

Voyager wolves aren't that lazy to pass up a bear steak

They were, it seems. The bear died near Matt's truck (the bridge cascade) so it wasn't too far if you sprint.

As for the cans, there's always a chance to find a can of poisoned peaches... then you'd have to eat them to free the can BUT you'll get the can.

I would need to have the double-luck to also find a can opener or knife or hatchet... that's a HUGE bet on my life...

BareSkin32- D9 [Cinderella ]

-There’s a carcass above Mine 5 entrance, I cook it only for training (I don’t even bother eating this)

-Blizzard at noon, 4 new coals in the mine

screen_77bf9059-be99-4638-beca-e1cfeba0715c.thumb.png.31616e30904961b6b59ff92b49cc5e89.png

-I’m back in Hibernia with 84 sticks for practising when the sun will be back

-I have so much food in the locker (8.7kg) I don’t know what to do with it. I eat something to be able to finish Frozen Angler.

screen_591002a1-9e5b-41e7-8098-42395780ae31.thumb.png.f056147a7b2aa14fb4bae08813f123a2.png

- While training firestarting, Cinderella says thousands of times “Come on little fire, Come on!” That’s annoying and reminds me why I removed the monologue while playing Custom.

- Now that I’m exhausted, I eat for testing exhaustion: I pass time 5h in bed, from 94% down to 89%. That’s -1%/h.

- Sleep science: 1h is 3% heal (back to 92%), 2h are 7% ( back to 99%)

- Science done, I sleep. I have work for tomorrow: lose more health for more testing.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

. . . that's a HUGE bet on my life...

This is an important point about this challenge; I'm sure someone could choose otherwise, and luck would eventually favor them after several restarts, but if you only had the one run, you need to mitigate a fatal risk. 

"Come'on, little fire" is probably my favorite line. Then again, I don't train fire-lighting.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

I think I have no other choice than taking a can and sleeping in a car.

I was intrigued about this dilemma so did a quick scouting run on Voyager to Old Island Connector. I didn’t find a pot or any canned food. It is too much of a gamble not to take something to boil water in.  Surprised how many matches I found. There was just enough cloth and clothing to make a snow shelter, but that may not apply to your loot table and even then would be a toss up between being naked and sleeping in a snow shelter or barely clothed and sleeping in a car. Calories could be doable, but will depend on how the rabbit grove performs - it seems to me something may have changed with these since the Redux update and that I’m getting low yields than before.

think it might be possible for Cinderella to survive there if she takes just a can, but it will be really sketchy. Far too stressful a playstyle for me, but I’m fascinated to see how you get on. Good luck!

• Upvote 2