Is there a reason for cooking pots after the cooking update?

Inlou

And you can use it to make Tea and Coffee in ... though I suppose you can use the recycled can for that as well.  Has anyone checked to see if you get more buff or if the time to cook tea/coffee is different if you use the pot versus the can? 

Now I need to check!

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

I highly doubt the effect is any different.  I also doubt the cooking time is different.

I checked once (before the redux) and the time difference in boiling water was none or negligible. I mean, two liters of water in a pot take the same time of four cans, even if it ends up being faster because you don't have to click on the can to empty it and fill it up again. But then again, melting and boiling two liters of water take eighty-something minutes, allowing you to carelessly sleep for an hour or make lengthy activities such as breaking crates, harvesting footwear, repairing large clothes and so on. Cooking meat in a pot is faster than cooking it on bare cooking slots.

When it comes to teas and coffee, on the other hand, pots are disappointing because you can't simultaneously make four cups' worth of tea, but always one at a time.

I generally leave my cooking pots on the wooden stove in whatever place I'm using as a main base for that region of the map.  For example, I now have 3 cooking pots on the 3 back burners of the stove in the Pleasant Valley farmhouse.  If I find more pots, I'll bring them to that location as well.  I have 5 pots sitting on the stove in Gray Mother's house and two sitting on the fire barrel in Quincy's Quonset.  That way, I don't have to mess with finding a can or pot if I want to boil water or make tea but I can still cook meat and fish without removing them from the burner.  I haven't verified the math, but I have noticed that 1 kg of meat will cook faster in the pot than on the bare burner and the game tells me that it won't burn as fast as well.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I prefer to carry 2 recycled cans (one per campfire cooking surface) and leave the pots at my bases, since the pots are so much heavier. But they're great if you like stockpiling supplies, or boiling water in big batches. Even with a 2-burner stove, being able to boil 4 liters of water at a time really adds up fast.

I prefer to carry 2 recycled cans (one per campfire cooking surface) and leave the pots at my bases, since the pots are so much heavier. But they're great if you like stockpiling supplies, or boiling water in big batches. Even with a 2-burner stove, being able to boil 4 liters of water at a time really adds up fast.