Bacpacks

Bimbobjoejr.

So we wish we could carry more stuff, so what if we could find better backpacks throughout the world. Here are some types I thought of:

Light backpack: uncommon, you can carry 10 lbs, 5 kg. You can find these in any man made structure or corpse.

Medium backpack: fairly rare, you can carry 15 lbs/7 kg extra. Can only be found mostly in main structures, sometimes in smal buildings. (main structure being ML camp office, PV farmgrounds, etc.

Large backpack: extremely rare, can carry 20 lbs/ 9 kg, can only be found in industrial bulidings( Carter dam, Hibernia processing, etc)

These items would be placed in "accessories", and can be found throughout the region, I.... Hope this doesn't backfire on me. Anyhoo, thanks for reading my suggestion!

Even if it's not shown, the survivor already has a HUGE backpack. The carrying capacity limit reflects the encumbrance too, not only the weight. When you pack up six hatchets, four toolboxes, three lanterns, half a bear's worth in steaks and two bedrolls along with pieces of cloth, sewing kits, sticks, matchboxes, a jerrycan, ten bottles of water, a rifle with thirty bullets and so on the size of the load is incapacitating just like the weight, and there's no way to carry it comfortably. If you're in decent shape you can carry another human heavier than you for a good distance, but surely not fast and a human is somehow balanced and solid. There's just a limit at how many stuff you can carry on your back.

5 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

There's just a limit at how many stuff you can carry on your back.

You are 100% correct @Doc Feral.
Cold_girl_backpacking-300x200.jpg.b5636e9a892f981372cf996a756a3015.jpg

As you know, there has been a lot of discussion on this topic lately. As it was explained a while back by the HDT, the "backpack" or inventory is part of the character. Thus the many wishes for being able to use the small day-packs already in the game will require a significant redesign. 

That inventory includes your entire body; so let us say cargo pants pockets, jacket pockets, items on your belt, and carried in-hand.
Go ahead and weigh yourself fully dressed for a hike with no backpack and compare that to your body weight when undressed, (it can be a lot of weight).

1 hour ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

Then how does the moose hide satchel help. Its basically the same thing

Maybe the satchel is a first of "accessory pouches/pockets/holsters"...which will allow the user to carry additional gear tight against their body thus minimizing the encumbrance of the added mass, (slings, quivers, cross-chest satchels, belt pouches, all allow for increased carry capacity, both volume and mass).

posture-line-drawing.jpg.b7db610bb9f94cf033cc2e20eb545d77.jpg

Let me end by thanking the Hinterland developers for the careful work to create containers with weight limits rather than them all being a Tardis.

Travel light my friends, for tonight we hunt Aurora Wolves. :coffee:

8 hours ago, Serenaq said:

I guess it's an advertisement for Back T Pack. But it's not accurate. 

Correct, @Serenaq, the source of the above-posted infographic is from an advertisement.
The message it is attempting to send is that heavy school backpacks are causing the users to adjust to an awkward and unhealthy posture to compensate for the offset to the body's center of mass. Hence, the head and shoulders are angled forward in an attempt to equal the force vector of the packs mass and offset, (it may be intended to indicate that the small distance away from center has a very great effect).

I agree, that the red arrow in the Back-T-Pack infographic may illustrate a major force vector, but not gravity.

The image below shows a similar red arrow and is what we often see referenced in hiking literature.
(But please note, the message is far less obvious, until it is noticed that the black stuff-sack has been moved away from center)
backpacklean.jpg.e5e12a0d231a988df8cd6bb45449ed6c.jpg

It remains true however, that properly adjusted load bearing satchels and gear pouches greatly increase the users effective carry capacity and reduce encumbrance by keeping the center of mass closer to the center of the body. This would be true of the moose satchel in TLD.

Good call-out my friend. :coffee:

3 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

I agree, that the red arrow in the Back-T-Pack infographic may illustrate a major force vector, but not gravity.

But gravity should be the major force carrying a backpack the other one would be weight(mass). Air resistance could be a factor. But i don't think the people who made this ad thought of this. This T backpack is not good for children. It's like a scale. If one side weighs more it's not working. And all the kids would look like tiny Quasimodos :):):) This advertisment is so bad.

Ah yeah, the second picture way better. Me likey :) You're right they should have used a pink thingy, the black thing is hardly noticeable. 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, Bimbobjoejr. said:

So we wish we could carry more stuff

Getting back to the topic in the OP.

• The idea of finding a small, medium, large size backpack, (Wish List).
  • The moose satchel when crafted or found increases encumbrance limit, (Current).
  • Clothes weigh less when being worn than when carried in backpack, (Current).
  • Herbal plants weigh less when processed, [cut and dried], (Current).
  • Maybe rifle sling reduces rifle encumbrance by 50%, (Suggestion).
  • Maybe arrow quiver reduces arrow encumbrance by 50%, (Suggestion).
  • Maybe knife sheath reduces knife encumbrance by 50%, (Suggestion).

Please add your thoughts and suggestions. :coffee:

If is backpack required as lootable or craftable item, you cannot stack a lot of items, maybe something in your pockets. Its realistic, yes, but it needs total inventory overhaul. In adition, if you dont find backpack, you screwed, especially in areas with no shelters.

Preenet view is your charackter starts with backpack. 

2 hours ago, Moll said:

is backpack required as lootable or craftable item

The OP seemed to be suggesting finding additional backpack options and sizes, (not deleting the existing backpack).

Also, if Hinterland ever offers a "Barebone Survival Mode" where you begin with only the clothes on your back and the items in your pockets, it might be very fun. Perhaps it would be a great challenge to play TLD  with a barebone game start Custom Option.

We know where to score a small size backpack fairly easily.
20180411100239_1.thumb.jpg.7a30d5ca82daddd9e6377b70c7917dfe.jpg
And the medium sized pack could be a bit more work to obtain.
20170824194156_1.thumb.jpg.3deb95292ce8b51e3281bbd26b84fdb7.jpg

The idea of a craftable bag or pack is also a nice idea for this wish list, thanks very much @Moll.

Have fun my friend. :coffee:

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 7:42 AM, s7mar7in said:
  • Maybe rifle sling reduces rifle encumbrance by 50%, (Suggestion).
  • Maybe arrow quiver reduces arrow encumbrance by 50%, (Suggestion).
  • Maybe knife sheath reduces knife encumbrance by 50%, (Suggestion).

If anyone is still thinking about backpacks, I like these three suggestions. These would all be craftable items, of course. ;)

Probably too hard to implement, but I like the idea of having a variety of backpacks to choose from that offer benefits and drawbacks. Rather than the moose-hide satchel, the backpack would have its own slot in the clothing menu. Different backpacks could be found throughout the game, with the option to start with your choice of pack on Pilgrim and/or Voyager (or however you spell it). Your character would have a base carry capacity (accounting for worn items, pockets, and the like) but gain more depending on their choice of backpack. Some examples might be:

-Daypack/Scout Bag: smallest carrying capacity, but increases walking and running speed

-Backpack with water bladder: slightly reduced carry capacity, but either reduces the weight of water or makes it so the character auto-drinks (thus meaning you don't have to worry about it until you run out).

-Backpack: standard pack offering normal carry capacity and speeds 

-Mountaineering Bag: massive carry capacity, but reduced walking/running speed

On 1/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, Willy Pete said:

Probably too hard to implement, but I like the idea of having a variety of backpacks to choose from that offer benefits and drawbacks.

@s7mar7in noted earlier in the thread "Thus the many wishes for being able to use the small day-packs already in the game will require a significant redesign. ", which is why he recommended these other items.

Personally, I'd like to see both a range of backpacks and more craftable gear. ;)

Archived