Add fox ?

DarKube

2 hours ago, stray_cur said:

it'd be fun if a curious but very discreet fox secretly followed you around -- catch a glimpse now and then.

That was my thinking too :D the fox is afterall the logo of Hinterland. It would also add a notion of the mystery to the game... a fox you cant shoot, but which just sort of pops out and about in some places. Like, you would leave the Camp office and you would see it scurry in behind a rock... when you would go there, it would be gone... there would be some paw prints but they would dissapear in what would seem as a small hole... 

I can imagine people would try to catch it or shoot it but without success. There would be no "huntable" fox, just a little ghastly companion that follows you around and adds depth to the game.

4 hours ago, DarKube said:

Hello I think it's good and well in TLD atmosphere to add foxes.

They'd be more scared than wolves and they give 3,5-4,5kg of meat, 2 guts and a fox pelt.

The fox pelt could serve for a fox coat for exemple.

Hello, there! Well, I am not sure if fox will ever be a huntable animal in the TLD - like I mention, it is sort of a mascot of Hinterland.
But if it was - the meat would be 1,3 to 1,8 kg tops. The amount you mentioned is consistent with the weight of a wolf in the game, which is far bigger of an animal. Gut amount seems allright. 

I dont think we really need new cloak in the game - right now there seems to be a lot of them. I always thought the game was going to have a "tier" levels of animals - and the way I imagined foxes would be something of a "tier 2" equivalent of a rabbit. So, the clothing you would make would be gloves, and maybe a scarf, of a fox cap like was already mentioned. But I also thought Moose would be a tier 2 deer and the bear is already a tier 2 predator, successor to wolf. We already know you cant make mooseskin pants and boots so my idea doesnt apply that much anymore.

Course those were just my ideas :) I wouldnt mind a fox coat, really :D just think it might be a rather easy way of getting a craftable jacket clothing... if we assume that foxes could also be snared, like rabbits, only with the use of a meat bait... which I think makes sense :D 

31 minutes ago, gnomegnine said:

wait.. what? considering deer weigh about 70 kilograms, and you get about 9, it would be more like 1-2. heck, moose give you 40 kg, they weigh like a metric ton.

It is well known that the weight values to the meat, available on the animal carcasses is nowhere near the actual weight you would expect to find on a real animal. Furthermore, the amounts of calories you get from the meat compared to its weight is entirely fictional as well (500 calories per 1kg of rabbit meat is nonsense.

The weight values are fictional on purpose - it is to force the player to hunt more in the game, rather than having to down one deer every month to stay well fed.
So, argumenting with real-life weight values of animals is pointless. In this aspect, the game balance takes the main role.

25 minutes ago, DarKube said:

I don't understand you say  o.O

Basically @gnomegnine argumented, that if the real-life deer has 70 kg of meat, but in TLD, only has 9, then a fox in the game cant weight 4,5 kg, but rather 1-2 kg. I think that argument is flawed because the values of meat on animal carcasses are not corresponding to real life animals. How could a fox weight 1 kg, if in-game rabbits weight 1 Kg? Foxes hunt rabbits... they are still bigger than rabbits, too.

That is why I originally suggested 1,3 to 1,8. But really, since some rabbits can get to 1,4 kg, a fox should be somewhere from 1,6 to 2 kg to make it realistic. Also, the caloric value of their meat would be slightly better than that of rabbits. 

It could not be 3,5 kg true, but not because of some real-life argument... but because in the game, that is basically the meat value of a wolf, which is a significantly bigger animal then a fox would be.

Archived