On hibernation

SneakySquid

Solutions for the hibernation hack   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like that a lot. I would not even involve thirst in that, honestly. Just fatigue combined with hunger. I reckon that initially for a while, you would be fine even at depleted cores. But the longer you would go without it, the higher a chance of that would go. And, combining both of the chances of those cores it would happen more likely, and most importantly, you would faint for longer periods of times. Naturally, fainting would not restore your fatigue at all, as that would reset the chances. I can see that happening. Perhaps not the most liked "RNG" mechanic but if anyone would complain, it would be their own fault for neglecting their needs.

Just could not happen straight after you go down in those needs - would need some 4 hour grace period before it started happening. The character could announce it with "I think I am gonna faint" comment.

Not sure if it would remove the hibernation, but it would definitely punish it more, which is always a good thing. A very nice idea, @StrayCat

Honestly, I haven't read every post in this thread, just skimmed over some of the ideas, and perhaps I'm over-simplifying this but here's the way I see it:

Problem:  Players "starve" (let their hunger meter go into the red) themselves to conserve food and use sleep to recover that lost condition.  So you can essentially live on 500+ calories per day (depending upon difficulty?).  

My solution:  While starving, simply increase the health loss and/or make health (if due to starvation) recovery slower.  This should minimize (although not completely prevent) this "exploit".

I am not intimately familiar with all the custom settings, but some of these may already be present.  If not, add them.

5 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Honestly, I haven't read every post in this thread, just skimmed over some of the ideas, and perhaps I'm over-simplifying this but here's the way I see it:

Problem:  Players "starve" (let their hunger meter go into the red) themselves to conserve food and use sleep to recover that lost condition.  So you can essentially live on 500+ calories per day (depending upon difficulty?).  

My solution:  While starving, simply increase the health loss and/or make health (if due to starvation) recovery slower.  This should minimize (although not completely prevent) this "exploit".

I am not intimately familiar with all the custom settings, but some of these may already be present.  If not, add them.

That makes some sense.  But I am not sure that such changes are necessary.

Problem with those solutions is that they wouldn't, in my opinion, really change anything. Unless you mean health loss as a result of starving being more serious. Which I would initially agree with, problem with that particular thing is that if starvation had more serious punishments, cold and thirst would have to be affected as well, and significantly boosted in condition damage. That could lead to the game being unplayable. But, if it wasnt done so, it would feel immersion breaking (there is a known rule of 3 in survival - a person can last 3 minutes submerged in freezing water, 3 hours in blizzard level cold, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.) Hunger is logically meant to be the weakest of the condition-drain needs.

Or maybe you thought that all damage done during hunger would result in increased condition damage. Which is a nice idea, but I doubt it would make the difference. As long as condition drain is avoided, the hibernation would become viable option.

As for the health recovery - you eat and remove the hunger needs when you wish to recover health. I dont see the point here.

On 11/23/2018 at 9:17 AM, hozz1235 said:

I have a custom game I'm working with that helps with this by setting both at rest and normal recover to "Low". With this setting a twelve hour sleep recovers 18% condition (not counting herbal tea). I've currently got "medium" set for both hunger and thirst rates, which permit twelve hour sleeps; you can cut this by increasing the the thirst rate. This does allow for sleep recover but heavily nerfs it; you're looking at requiring no needs in the red for four to five days in order to recover from a bear or wolf attack (based on my animal struggle settings, which are there to make you hurt if an animal closes to contact). If you were to set thirst to high and restrict consecutive rest to eight hours you'd be looking at even less recovery per snooze. With both set to low and with 12 hour sleeps, the starvation mechanic is just barely viable, and only if you don't lose any condition over the course of the day to any other reason.

Archived