Working Microwaves

ajb1978

I would like to see the interior of a microwave count as a cook surface, that is only active during an aurora.  Simple mechanics--place a food item in the microwave, and if an aurora is in the sky, it starts cooking.  Just a real simple quality of life item.  Currently the benefits of an aurora (working flashlights, radios, pretty lights to enjoy) are strongly outweighed by the risks (murderwolves, deathbears, live wires that melt your face like that one scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark).  This would give players another reason to look forward to an aurora.

Microwaves cook meat quite quickly in comparison to indirect cooking like on a stone next to a campfire. But, they make the meat dry, chewy and often cook even more unevenly than direct or indirect heat /flame cooking. Regardless, that isn't the issue...

The magnetrons of any microwaves that were plugged in during The Event and any/all subsequent CME's or EMP events.. would be toast. Just like car engines and machinery left in the world we are in. Some of the microwaves appear to have shattered glass on the doors... not healthy to stand in front of them to cook food, if they are leaking microwave radiation through the broken shielding agents.  We might start cooking from the inside out, along with our venison steaks. But, it would be bad design to have cars not turn over or machinery not run, but have high wattage microwaves run as normal. It just would not make sense within the game rules that exists right now. And changing all the rules just to add microwaves... seems foolish.

6 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

not healthy to stand in front of them to cook food, if they are leaking microwave radiation through the broken shielding agents.  We might start cooking from the inside out, along with our venison steaks

At that point, I'd want to place several around my base camp, facing outwards.  At a place like the Quonset Hut, it would be quite useful at periodically keeping the wolves away. B|

7 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Microwaves cook meat quite quickly in comparison to indirect cooking like on a stone next to a campfire. But, they make the meat dry, chewy and often cook even more unevenly than direct or indirect heat /flame cooking. Regardless, that isn't the issue...

The magnetrons of any microwaves that were plugged in during The Event and any/all subsequent CME's or EMP events.. would be toast. Just like car engines and machinery left in the world we are in. Some of the microwaves appear to have shattered glass on the doors... not healthy to stand in front of them to cook food, if they are leaking microwave radiation through the broken shielding agents.  We might start cooking from the inside out, along with our venison steaks. But, it would be bad design to have cars not turn over or machinery not run, but have high wattage microwaves run as normal. It just would not make sense within the game rules that exists right now. And changing all the rules just to add microwaves... seems foolish.

It's already pretty inconsistent, so this would be consistently inconsistent with the consistent inconsistency. lol

My original thoughts on the EM pulse was that it could hypothetically fry out sensitive components, like circuitry. If all computerized systems were fried, this would neatly explain why cars don't start, but the flashlight still works.  Simple analog devices would be operable so long as you can get power flowing, while anything that has any kind of "smart" circuitry would be dead.

And then...buffer memories.  Which completely shoots that theory out the window, and makes it physically impossible for any of this to happen.  There just isn't any way you could have a global EM pulse that fries some sensitive circuitry but not others.  (Edit: OK actually yes it would, if you had faraday cages protecting things.  But since that computer in the Rural Store is pretty obviously NOT protected by a faraday cage...yeah.  Not possible.) So we basically have to throw physics out the window, suspending disbelief. Which I'm OK with.

So in a world where an EM pulse fries cars but leaves some computers partially intact...what the heck.  Let's go for microwaves too.  Just for a little something extra.

I thought this as well actually, but someone made a really good point that the lights flicker and are pretty dim so something like a microwave might not be able to get enough power to operate. That being said an electric stove top or oven can work with bad power. Perhaps not amazingly or anything but it might be able to cook something. And let's say it can't. Perhaps it could extended the duration of a fire(since temperature doesn't help cook faster). And I still think it would be cool if you could turn on cars for warmth during one.

I totally like the idea of aurora helping in some way but microwaves are too much probably

10 hours ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

At that point, I'd want to place several around my base camp, facing outwards.  At a place like the Quonset Hut, it would be quite useful at periodically keeping the wolves away. B|

+1 for defensive Aurora activated animal pre-cooking microwave turrets!  (aka/AAAPCMT's from this time onward...)  :D 

Archived