Crafting should upgrade sewing skill.

FunkyFuggerson

I just crafted a pair of deerskin pants with a sewing kit and it and I think that should contribute to my mending skill. Just as crafting arrows contributes to my archery skill the crafting should contribute to mending. It would make leveling the skill up to 4 and 5 easier as crafting bear coats and moose cloaks would give you a large sum of XP for the skill. 

4 hours ago, DigitalDeath849 said:

Agreed, you could also slightly reduce crafting times of clothing items the greater your sewing/mending skill. Repairing clothes does teach you a bit about how they're made as well as making clothes teaches you a bit about how to repair them.

Brilliant idea! Now we have to mind out how much hinterland actually pays attention to the wish list. This wouldn't be to hard to add in right?

14 hours ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

Brilliant idea! Now we have to mind out how much hinterland actually pays attention to the wish list. This wouldn't be to hard to add in right?

As far as coding it? Not terribly hard. Balancing out the point system, and deciding how many skill points to assign to crafted items vs. store-bought items might be "interesting" to try to do well, to prevent those bunny mittens from being even more exploitable than they are now, as far as mending skill level-ups go. 

I like the idea, always have, every time I have seen it brought up on the Steam Wish List, and now here. But nerfing the bunny mittens exploit that already exists for fast skill-ups might be a side effect, if they do this. Can they make it "good" without making it "too bloody great!!!"?

In terms of balance, 1 point per crafting hour, rounding down where applicable, would be a good balance, I think  I mean if you know nothing of mending, and craft a full wolfskin coat, I think by the time you're done you'd have learned at least enough about sewing to call yourself a novice.

Archived