Grouse as a slightly vicious prey animal

NumptyDumpty

I see a lot of suggestions here for new species of predator or prey for the game, but the sparseness of The Long Dark is part of its appeal and a menagerie of species would get crowded and repetitive. A minimum of species should be added and any that are should have a distinct feel and effect on gameplay.

I think there's space for another prey species but one that's a little dangerous, as opposed to the benign rabbit and deer, and I think a species of grouse could fill that space. In my imagining of it the grouse would provide slightly more meat than the rabbit, wouldn't be snareable, and would be huntable either by thrown stone or a ranged weapon (sidenote: I'd prefer if the rabbit/grouse weren't efficiently huntable by the rifle, i.e. hitting them with a rifle round would destroy much/all of the usable resources, but that's a different topic).

Stunning the grouse with a stone like the rabbit would give you the same option of releasing it or snapping its neck. But the grouse would sometimes or always fight back, possibly inflicting some minor wounds with its claws. Obviously they wouldn't be as severe as the wounds from messing with a predator species, but just enough that if you're unprepared they could cause you some grief. Maybe you'd even need to finish it off after hitting it with an arrow, meaning you'd need to commit a rifle round if you wanted to kill a grouse but avoid any chance of injury. Or maybe it could charge you after a near miss or just if you get too close.

After it's dead you'd get some bird meat and perhaps also feather(s) for fletching. That could mean eliminating crow feathers as a source of fletching or just reducing their spawn chance. I picture the grouse as a relatively rare animal to find and whose spawn chance would be at the expense of the rabbit's, so that there's still the same amount of small animal calories available. And it'd be nice to have the presence/availability of grouse vs. rabbit vary by map region, with the grouse perhaps more common in heavily wooded areas.

There are definitely species of grouse in the west of Canada (such as the sooty grouse and the dusky grouse) and while I don't know whether they're as aggressive as their dumb, vicious cousin the capercaillie of Eurasia, the behavior can easily be explained with the aurora if necessary. The Canadian species do seem to winter in their regular territory and apparently subsist largely on conifer needles during that time. In the game I imagine often hearing them before seeing them, either from their calls or from the sudden violent flapping of wings as they fly short distances. It'd be great to see them up in the branches of trees, but I don't know if the game as-built can support that sort of thing.

All-in-all I think a huntable bird species would add just the right amount of variety, as would a prey species that's able to fight back; combining them in one animal would preserve the desolate appeal of the game. The different behavior and resources mean that there'd be a real choice to make if you happened to spot a rabbit and a grouse at the same time, and The Long Dark is of course all about the tough choices you make. Let me know what you think.

On 7/10/2018 at 2:29 PM, Mixxut said:

Intresting idea! Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the developers have said that they would like to add new animal(s[?]) to the game and I wouldn't mind a combination of a predator and a hunter added.

I would vote for Eagle or Owl, if a predator-prey hybrid was added. Both are just as edible as any other bird. Both have talons, sharp hooked beaks, and large wingspans that can be used to attack or fight back. They would not be overly common, and could possibly be seen hunting rabbits, or stealing rabbit carcasses. I don't think either should be able to kill a healthy survivor, but should be able to cause bruising, torn clothing, and lacerations/bleeding injuries.

For prey-only birds, geese or wild turkey. And, both of those can leave marks of you get into a scuffle with one at close range, lol! Always make sure the bird is actually dead before you go to retrieve the body. And no... I am not going to share my embarrassing hunting story, of how I found that out, the hard way, many, many years ago.  

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

For prey-only birds, geese or wild turkey. And, both of those can leave marks of you get into a scuffle with one at close range, lol! Always make sure the bird is actually dead before you go to retrieve the body. And no... I am not going to share my embarrassing hunting story, of how I found that out, the hard way, many, many years ago.  

Oh man I got attacked by a Canadian goose at Devil's Lake in 7th grade on a school trip.  That thing was just vicious and would not leave me alone!  I tried walking, I tried running, I tried light kicks, and right about the time I realized "Alright, I'm gonna have to really hurt this bird..." I think it saw the change in my demeanor and finally flew away.

9 hours ago, Gazbeard said:

I'd have thought (Canada) geese would be more appropriate?  They'd also make good early warning systems against sneaky wolves.

I considered Canada geese but the trouble there is that they're migratory and so wouldn't be hanging around in winter. And I think a grouse could fill the alarm role too if the devs thought that would enhance gameplay.

5 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I would vote for Eagle or Owl, if a predator-prey hybrid was added. Both are just as edible as any other bird. Both have talons, sharp hooked beaks, and large wingspans that can be used to attack or fight back. They would not be overly common, and could possibly be seen hunting rabbits, or stealing rabbit carcasses. I don't think either should be able to kill a healthy survivor, but should be able to cause bruising, torn clothing, and lacerations/bleeding injuries.

I wouldn't be opposed to a raptor species to fill the space. Though part of why I chose an herbivorous species that is commonly found on the ground is that I figured its behavior/animations would be easier to put in the game.

As for geese, see above, and I don't believe turkeys are found in western Canada. But that ability to have one last go at you is exactly what I was imagining for the grouse. :)

34 minutes ago, NumptyDumpty said:

As for geese, see above, and I don't believe turkeys are found in western Canada. But that ability to have one last go at you is exactly what I was imagining for the grouse. :)

I believe you are right about the wild turkey, the habitat maps I found for different species did show southern Canada, near the US border, but none in the BC area, at least not for a year round range. However, Canada geese do have year round ranges in Western Canada, along the coast... https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/canada-goose I have no idea how well they would survive in the arctic temperatures we have in the game, bu the loons seem to be doing okay... ;)

11 minutes ago, Gazbeard said:

Seagulls?  It is an island after all.

And gulls can be rather nasty and aggressive.

I still like owls or eagles though. Geese, gulls... water fowl. Would not be seen inland as much, especially if all water sources are frozen, or high flow waterfalls? Grouse or other ground birds would not be as likely to be seen around coastal areas. Raptors would be at home in both terrain types. Though... a smaller game bird and a larger raptor, both... would be ideal for my "Wish List".  Just not sure how difficult and time consuming adding 2 birds with very different flight styles and patterns, in addition to the crows (which have already been troublesome) would be. I am imagining it would not be a small job, even if they are "small" creatures. Imagine this flying in suddenly, talons aimed at your face...

Chris-Hill.jpg.f3a5a7e3faabc4277d91b294d88690f4.jpg

(Photo from this article- which kind of makes me want angry owls even more... https://cottagelife.com/general/great-horned-owl-attacks-skier-twice-leaving-him-with-16-puncture-wounds/ )

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of owls. My thought if they were going to add some new critter was a bobcat. Generally would flee the player, and hunt rabbits and deer. (yes, they actually do freaking hunt deer) If the player approaches a feeding bobcat though, it could become aggressive. Bobcats can do serious damage, and I think it would be awesome to have a hat item made from the pelt. We have everything else(in terms of clothing items). That said I could never hurt one, I love kittys... >,..,<

Archived