Climb down from plane crash?

AZHockeyNut

My favourite run insta-died standing on that edge. 357 days in and DEAD. I was pretty annoyed to say the least. Interestingly, I think it was mentioned in the recent patch notes :

*[Survival Mode] Removed fall death triggers on cliff wall above Milton Basin.

On the upside, it forced me to start again and relive the thrill of vertically progressing for a while ;) 

@hozz1235 :) True enough. But to be fair, 350ish days is about as long as any of my runs lust before I get bored enough to set myself an insane challenge - usually ending in death.

On Wednesday night I lost another 350ish run. The challenge was to harvest, completely by hand and in one hit (all meat, guts and hide in one action) every kind of animal in the game. Rabbit - check, wolf - check, deer - check, bear - check, moose...'You fade into the long dark'. Bummer, so close! 3/4 the way through a blizzard hit. Could have escaped out but then I would have failed the challenge.

So, started new voyager run in DP with the challenge 'max days in DP from a fresh start'. Currently at 25 days and can already see that weapons and cloth are going to be a major issue. Only got 5 birch saplings in the spawn, getting to level 5 cooking without burning through arrows and leaving myself defenceless is going to be challenging. Look's like it's wabbit season.

7 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

Beach combing and rabbits for you....whoopie. maybe you get lucky and a fat koho washes up

LOL! No to the transition zones, just DP. Haven't looted Mine 3 yet either, still trying to decide if it should be allowed. My plan at this point is to run DP ragged then head to CH and bask in resource heaven. And to hell with the koho, I want that dang moose to spawn already!

It's weird though, so many people say CH ends up as their home-base. In Loper, yeah I can see it. But all other modes...just don't get it. On my last 3 350+ day runs I've ended up camping on TWM indefinately. Funny how some zones just make people happy. In any case, this time round I plan to spend at least 200 days straight in CH to see if I can come to love it.

Thanks for the reply :)

@AZHockeyNut DP, on the bridge over Dave's Truck.

CH, around Quonset - but I've only seen that one in vids, never personally.

Interesting living in BR and FM. I really like FM and have wanted to do a 200+ day challenge there - what do you like most about the region?

BR on the other hand...I don't know, there is something about that place that I just don't like but I can't put a finger on it.

@EricTheGreat12 In survival mode (not sure about story mode) the bottom level of the crash site (where the cave is and where you wake up in story mode) has/had an insta-death barrier on top of the cliff face down into the basin. Just standing on the edge was enough to kill a character. I say has/had as there was reference in the last update log (see above post) that may have been a reference to fixing the 'bug' - but I've not tested it yet.

5 hours ago, CaveDweller said:

@EricTheGreat12 In survival mode (not sure about story mode) the bottom level of the crash site (where the cave is and where you wake up in story mode) has/had an insta-death barrier on top of the cliff face down into the basin. Just standing on the edge was enough to kill a character. I say has/had as there was reference in the last update log (see above post) that may have been a reference to fixing the 'bug' - but I've not tested it yet.

It wasn’t fixed because you aren’t supposed to go down there; it’s basically untextured nothingness, something that Hinterland would rather you not see. It’s the same with the truck near the bridge right before leaving Milton in Episode 1. 

Having been able to sneak into these areas before they put more invisible walls into Story Mode in the last update, you aren’t missing much: just unfinished regions. They’re either too lazy to actually finish what they’ve shown to their customers, or we will never be able to access these regions in future updates . 

6 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

It wasn’t fixed because you aren’t supposed to go down there; it’s basically untextured nothingness, something that Hinterland would rather you not see. It’s the same with the truck near the bridge right before leaving Milton in Episode 1. 

Having been able to sneak into these areas before they put more invisible walls into Story Mode in the last update, you aren’t missing much: just unfinished regions. They’re either too lazy to actually finish what they’ve shown to their customers, or we will never be able to access these regions in future updates . 

There are areas of the game world that aren't intended to be accessible, like in nearly every open world game. Occasionally players find a way to leave the map, but when this is reported we work to fix that. 

43 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

There are areas of the game world that aren't intended to be accessible

I have absolutely no issue with this :) TLD is constantly evolving - and I love that about it.

The comments above were in no way about 'not being able to access an area' but rather addressing AZ's question regarding the auto-kill zone. I haven't tested it yet but had assumed the devs had just put an invisible wall in - which is completely fine! Would rather have that than a big rock spoiling the view ;)

19 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

There are areas of the game world that aren't intended to be accessible, like in nearly every open world game. Occasionally players find a way to leave the map, but when this is reported we work to fix that. 

And yet considering the amount of detail in the region with the truck which can be seen from the end of Episode 1, you guys do plan to release this region later on as an actual playable area.

I understand that there are some areas that are simply not meant to be seen, but you're basically begging for player attention when you show them a clearly visible area that they cannot access. And considering how long it is between major updates, players need something to do and they like to go away from the usual path; the region with the truck is only going to be released with Episode 3, I think most of us here know that by now, so we basically have to wait another 5-6 months till we get to access the region.

There are so many gaps in this game that it would just be easier for the devs to just put a rock in front of inaccesible regions, such as where the gate used to be in the Broken Railroad map. You don't like it when the fanbase gets impatient for new content, yet it's like you want to tease them with content that will not be released but it's so close to being playable.

On 07/04/2018 at 12:18 PM, CaveDweller said:

Only got 5 birch saplings in the spawn, getting to level 5 cooking without burning through arrows and leaving myself defenceless is going to be challenging. Look's like it's wabbit season.

If you're willing to game the system a little it's not that hard to reach level 5 cooking. Just be sure to harvest all carcasses in tiny 0.1 - 0.2kg portions. When even a rabbit can give you 10+ cooking points, it helps tremendously.

On 15/04/2018 at 4:44 PM, JAFO said:

Just be sure to harvest all carcasses in tiny 0.1 - 0.2kg

Yeah, thought I was so original when I thought of that. Then found out everyone else was already doing it ;) Here's the thing though a) I'm not sure it actually works, b) or that it's wise depending on the mode you're playing.

Regarding a), with 1kg chunks you get a cooking 'point' on every piece. In smaller chunks you may have to cook 2 or more to get a 'point' towards the skill. I don't know if this differs by game mode, but in Voyager and Interloper this seems to be the way it works. Not sure if it's based on weight, chance or how many moon-bunnies burped at that exact moment.

With regard to b) a 0.1kg piece takes the same time to cook as a 1kg piece. If in a mode such as Interloper then the wood and time used to cook equivalent meat makes the 'cheat' simply untenable/suicidal.

In any case, I got to day 130 in DP and decided I'd had enough. Seven bears, a moose and full crafted everything = nothing else to do. Actually I'd finished crafting everything (bear coat, wolf coat, twin pants, boots, mitts and moose bag, 2 bows and all the arrows, 100 arrow heads 5 axes and 5 knives....100 completed fishing line etc. etc.) by day 50. After that I continued nesting and going slowly insane.

So, now going to spend at least 100 days straight in my most hated area...CH...to see if I can learn to love it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 4:54 PM, CaveDweller said:

nteresting living in BR and FM. I really like FM and have wanted to do a 200+ day challenge there - what do you like most about the region?

BR on the other hand...I don't know, there is something about that place that I just don't like but I can't put a finger on it.

I've been living at the hunting lodge in BR but have decided to move on after only 50ish days - I've decided its too closed in, I feel like I'm stuck walking ruts into the ground.  And not particularly useful ruts.  I spent about 200 days living in the Waterfall cave on TW - I enjoyed that one, 3 rd most favorite spot 

@Jolan I hear you re. TWM - my last 5 runs have all ended up there. Incredible scenery aside, I love doing laps and the constant diet of hunting. No other region IMO has ease of access to so great a range and number of animals to hunt. Plus I too love living in caves - my last run I had a bearskin sleeping bag in every cave on TWM. Spent my days hunting, collecting rocks to make hidden shrines in neat places etc. Eventually died on the very last stage of a self-define 'achievement' which was to hand skin, gut and harvest - all in one go re. 'harvest all' - every kind of animal. I got through rabbit, wolf, deer and bear but got hit by a blizzard 3/4 the way through the moose. :) I'm trying on this run to stay away from TWM for as long as possible, but I know I'll end up there.

Archived