Pattern 1914 Enfield rifle

Rusty_Old_F250

Now this is a bit of different take on the whole "more guns" debate, here's what I am proposing, more rifle(s), but chambered in .303 british. 

To be honest, I'd be thrilled over the moon for just one more rifle, this one:

It's a Pattern 1914 Enfield, made in the US under contract for the British in WW1. Over a million were made, not including a run of them in 30-06 for the US Army that was 2.2 million. They're neat guns, different than the No 1 MKIII like we have in the game, they've got a 5+1 magazine, different style bolt action (mauser type, far stronger) and were designed to be much more accurate long range. They were designed after the Boer War as a longer range, higher power rifle (with a new .276 magnum cartridge) to replace No1 MKIII and the .303 round, however, ww1 changed things, introducing the new .276 in wartime was logistically daunting, so the p14 was adapted to fire .303 and was used to supplement the No1 MKIII. The No1 with it's 10 round magazine and short action did better with rapid fire, it's slightly inferior accuracy was a moot point at WW1 combat distances. The higher rate of fire was far more valuable. 

The rifle in the picture is mine, it was "sporterized" by a previous owner, who replaced the military stock and sights with aftermarket ones designed for hunting. I love this thing, it's a piece of history and it fascinates me. And, apparently, these rifles run in the family,  my grandfather has an M1917, also sporterized, but with a cut down military stock, and he used it to hunt deer for years. He told me "I never was much for target shooting or plinking, it stayed in the closet till hunting season when I'd get it out, oil it up, strap it to my pack board with the meat saw, if you look you can still see the marks in the stock from the saw, and go get some meat."

Life in rural Idaho in the 50's wasn't easy (especially for someone going to college and supporting a family at the same time!) So the meat in the freezer was a welcome addition to the pantry.

And, (yes this is a totally shameless plug) if you do decide to include a P14 in the game, I can provide whatever photos and measurements you might need. In fact, it would tickle me so much (I would really love this to happen) I'd even bring the rifle up to the studio and show it to ya'll in person! I know that sounds kinda sketchy (random guy showing up with a rifle, lol) but I'm pretty harmless, even with a rifle. 

Sam

Img01_02-25-2016.JPG

"Add more guns add more guns add more guns, add a scope, add more guns"

Are the guns really that cool? Why does the long dark need more guns? They would be useless. We already have 3 different weapons. Might as well turn this game into a mulitplayer fps.

....... (read the following in a calm, mellow tone)

To quote a friend of mine "If I have to explain it, your not going to  understand"

I'll give it my best shot though 

To me, an important part of TLD is it tells the story of "the old ways" as Jeremiah put it,  old views on life, equipment, tools, survival, etc, to me these guns are an integral part of that history. No it wouldn't serve a clear purpose in game, but, mechanically speaking, neither does anything cosmetic. 

To be clear, I don't just want more guns, I'd like more hatchets, knives, lanterns, tool boxes, etc etc, I just haven't posted about that in a while 

Variety is the spice of life

Sam

I understand your point. I'm not an internet troll so maybe that's why;)

But more guns to the game would make at least me feel very confused.  And even more confusing would be the fact that all of the guns would work the same way. I don't understand crap about guns.  

I appreciate your response,  and I see your point, it would be a bit confusing in survival mode, Personally, I think a degree of confusion would fit the game very well though. This whole appocalipse this isn't something we've been through before :ph34r:

Primarilythough, I would love to see more "small stories " in survival/sandbox mode, and attach them to items somehow. Like Grey Mother's story about the distress pistol being owned by an ex coast guard sailor who hid it under the floor, suddenly its not "just a gun" it has a history. 

Sam

20 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Primarilythough, I would love to see more "small stories " in survival/sandbox mode, and attach them to items somehow. Like Grey Mother's story about the distress pistol being owned by an ex coast guard sailor who hid it under the floor, suddenly its not "just a gun" it has a history. 

The game has a lot of potential for this kind of thing.  Right now, items are just tools for survival, to be used and discarded when needed.  But I think the "what would you do to survive" aspect would be heightened if some of the things had stories to them.  How does it change the game if it's not just harvesting a hoodie for cloth, but tearing up Katie's beloved jacket that you read about in a journal you found?  You'll still do it, but it will have more significance.

• 5 months later...

If there was a thought to put another gun in the game.. I would think it would have to be the version most commonly found in Canada... Enfield No.4 Mark 1 Longbranch... Canadian made....and NOT sporterized..

@Rusty_Old_F250 what would be the difference, in terms of gameplay, between the rifle we have in game and the rifle that you are proposing? 

In my opinion, unless we replace the look of the current rifle with the one you are proposing, another rifle serves no purpose. People on these forums have been asking for a spear for ages now because the bow&arrows are slow to use and there is limited ammunition for the rifle. If you just add another rifle with no benefits, you can easily say "that's cool" and then forget about it

12 hours ago, Cr41g said:

If there was a thought to put another gun in the game.. I would think it would have to be the version most commonly found in Canada... Enfield No.4 Mark 1 Longbranch... Canadian made....and NOT sporterized..

I could get behind that! I'm actually looking for a decent Long Branch No4 to add to my collection... I would really like to get my hands on one that the Rangers used. Rumor has it they'll be surplussed once they finish replacing them with the new Sako/Colt rifle.

As far as gameplay differences, the only thing I propose changing is the 3d model. They would all function, weigh and behave exactly the same way. I would even keep the descriptive text the same as it's always been, and use it for all of them. What I would like is more variety, for the same reason we have granola bars, beef jerky and chocolate bars. They serve the same purpose, but it adds variety to the game.

Sam

10 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

I would really like to get my hands on one that the Rangers used. Rumor has it they'll be surplussed once they finish replacing them with the new Sako/Colt rifle.

You and me both... I have been looking for some time now... the ones currently in the possession of the Rangers I am told are being gifted to the Rangers... but hope fully some of them will see fit to sell them...

17 hours ago, Cr41g said:

You and me both... I have been looking for some time now... the ones currently in the possession of the Rangers I am told are being gifted to the Rangers... but hope fully some of them will see fit to sell them...

You probably have a better chance at it, I'm in the states. Not sure what the import laws between here and Canada are.

As a side note, I haven't been able to tell if they've completely replaced them yet either. Apparently they're having some teething issues with the new Sako/Colts. For me the whole problem is really pretty simple, the No4 Enfield has worked beautifully for decades, so why not just build some brand new No 4 enfields?? Make the barrel out of stainless and shorten it to 20", bed it into a nice laminate stock. And of course keep the handguard, nose cap and sight protector for style points. Now that would be a sweet rifle!

Sam

Archived