Stripper clips as an item

Rancid

As you have probably all noticed when you reload your SMLE (I love that this is the rifle used in the game because it is is the rifle used by the Canadian Armed Forces in the first and second world war) rifle with 5 or more rounds you use a stripper clip. I think it would be great if we could find stripper clips that would have to be loaded in your inventory before they could be used to load the rifle.

Thanks for your, time, consideration, and contributions,

- Your Canadian Friend Rancid

What do you think is in that box with those 5 bullets you found? :D:D:D

Just cause you dont see yourself visibly finding it doesnt mean they are not in the game already :D Its the same as with fishing tackles and lures - who would attempt to "actually" fish with a fishing hook only, if they could find some bits to put on as a bait.

There are two ways to load a rifle - when you have less than 5 bullets, you will be loading it one-by-one. If you have at least 5 of them, you will use the clip you found, either you found it with the rifle, or in those boxes with ammo. At least something has gotta be there, right? Since the box only has 5 rounds...

20 hours ago, Rancid said:

(I love that this is the rifle used in the game because it is is the rifle used by the Canadian Armed Forces in the first and second world war)

That is exactly why it was added as a TLD rifle. Well, the reason being that this very rifle is still commonly used by Rangers in Canada - or something like that. Point is someone had gone through a lot of trouble to determine which rifle would be more realistically found in the TLD conditions and this was the winner. At least this is the word around the forums.

7 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

What do you think is in that box with those 5 bullets you found? :D:D:D

5 bullets, no stripper clip! :P :D

Seriously though, stripper clips are pretty darn hard to find, you can find .303 ammo at most the major retails and most gun shops, but not stripper clips. I finally gave up looking and ordered some off ebay. As a rule .303 comes in cardboard box of 20 rounds, nothing else. I mean, it's not really that big of a deal, but I would like to see the clip (and spent brass) become collectable items.

What I'd really like to see is a couple more rifles, chambered in .303 brit of course! A P14 (like mine, shameless plug, heheh, I'll send all the pics/dimensions you need!) a No4Mk1, and some variations of each as "sporterized" rifles.  Oh and maybe even a Ross, they were Canadian after all! Not as popular as the other three, but they are out there.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

I think though for the purposes of this game the stripper clips might add more flavor than substance. I get that if you are in combat the stripper clip is useful since there are human opponents similarly armed, shooting at you. But in terms of this game, I usually keep my rifle topped off if possible, if 10 rounds of .303 don't solve whatever problem I am facing at the time, I don't think stripper clips might be too much more helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

The SMLE is still one of the most common rifles in the Far North, because they were so CHEAP. Interestingly, if they ever put in the First Nations Reserve, it might be a good place to find some weird firearms, like the FN HAR (was a very popular bush gun for FN hunters for a long time).

The problem with adding a stripper clip as an item is that it wouldn't improve the experience very much compare to how much work will be needed to implement it. Depending on how many bugs would need fixing, this addition would need about 8-20 hours of work in order to implement, and for what? So you could reload your rifle just a little bit faster? I don't know about your experience playing this game but I'm pretty sure that you don't need to shoot down hordes of wolves charging at you, thirsting for a taste of your blood.

The game has a certain tempo, less frantic, more thoughtful. You don't need to load your rifle quickly. The Lee-Enfield can chamber a round almost as quickly as a semi-auto but your character doesn't. Your character doesn't need to.

Archived