raccoons/hats

snakevondoof

I mean, realistically, leaving your meat like that outside of the house would attract predators to come and visit you from time to time.

I think it was pretty well shown in a video I posted in a thread that I started, for survival/outdoor related videos - a documentary about a couple, living in the northern alaska behind the polar circle... "Surviving alone in Alaska" was the name of that particular documentary.

In there, they have the meat outside by the house as well, string up on ropes... and an unwelcomed guest comes by to take their piece...

I think it would be fine if we got a chance to craft outside containers for meat, and whatever was in the container would be safe. Something like that "boarded chest" in Mountaineer´s. I know vermin can get into something like this, but we also need to assume that the meat would get frozen stiff, and after that it wouldnt probably give much of an odor, so a container should be enough. 

5 hours ago, godhelpme89 said:

Really? I thought those things were like rats and lived everywhere.

Racoons are straight american animal. They dont live anywhere else (to my knowledge) then on american continent. Certainly not in here in Europe. We only have rats, really. Also, most of that sort of vermin would not thrive in conditions like these - they dont like constant cold.

I actually didn't realize they didn't live up there, learn something new every day, right? I still want a coonskin hat though ;)

on the topic of vermin and containers, yeah I would really like to have some risk involved with that, currently ive got about 100lbs (about 45kgs) of meat right outside the mountaineers hut. youd think the wolves would LOVE to come visit...but all I get are rabbits and a wolf or two

8 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Racoons are straight american animal. They dont live anywhere else (to my knowledge) then on american continent. Certainly not in here in Europe. We only have rats, really. Also, most of that sort of vermin would not thrive in conditions like these - they dont like constant cold.

Raccoons were actually planted (I don't know if that's the right term) in Germany and they are pretty common there. They have been spreading pretty far in Europe.

And i like the idea of the box for the meat.  If they just lay around, maybe wolves should smell it and come visit you.

Welcome to the forums @snakevondoof ^_^

Just a future note, be careful about double posting :)

Also, raccoons do exist fairly far north in Canada. As the winters get milder they're pushing further and further north (especially in the cities). Whether or not they'd be in the game depends on where in BC is the game taking place (the southern third including Victoria island should have raccoons).

14 hours ago, Mixxut said:

Raccoons were actually planted (I don't know if that's the right term) in Germany and they are pretty common there. They have been spreading pretty far in Europe.

I live relatively close to borders of Germany (like two hours away by car) and I have never heard of this. If they were common, I expect they would have moved in here as well. But a short internet research seems to indicate you are right.

I suppose our country is too much of a garbage even for raccoons, since they dont live in here at all yet. Might be they dont meet in here well with our still somewhat strong population of foxes.

6 hours ago, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @snakevondoof ^_^

Just a future note, be careful about double posting :)

Also, raccoons do exist fairly far north in Canada. As the winters get milder they're pushing further and further north (especially in the cities). Whether or not they'd be in the game depends on where in BC is the game taking place (the southern third including Victoria island should have raccoons).

thank you for the welcome!

yeah I noticed I accidentally double posted, I was unsure of how to delete the other, haha! 

Archived