Bow and arrow issue/glitch/help?

svluu

I haven't been able to find any information on this so hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

Sometimes when hunting with the bow and arrow I register a hit, I see the blood graphic/animation indicating the shoot connects and I receive a skill increase.  The problem is that the shoot does no damage to the animal I hit it only cause the animal to cry out and flee.  When I try to track the animal I usually loose them because they are not leaving behind a blood trail.

Do I just still really suck at bow hunting? Is this a bug or glitch? Has anyone else experienced this?  Have I missed this in the forum somewhere?  

For context this is on the Xbox One and occurring in both my pilgram and voyager plays.

The arrows either bounce out and have taken damage, or stay stuck in the animal still with no blood trail.  Once a deer turned and ran at me and I saw the arrow sticking out of him but couldn't click on it before he flew by me.

I have even tried to keep up with a wolf with an emergency stim and still get out ran.

Thanks in advance. 

Yes, I've experienced this on PC as well, but only twice and although I saw the blood and was sure I didn't miss, it was so quick that I wasn't certain what actually happened. I don't think it registered the hit for skill increase though, and both times the arrow was simply laying on the ground. I haven't had time to reproduce it and figure it out for a bug report, but you aren't crazy. It's a thing

I've had this happen many times... The shot actually does damage the animal. If it was a wolf that you shot, you can observe changes in the wolf's behaviour after the shot. It will walk slower and have its head hanging down a little. Sometimes the wolf won't even be able to charge if you aim at it.

I'm assuming that there is a certain percentage of shots that will not penetrate and do less damage. Since the arrows that you have are all handmade, I guess there's a certain amount of realism to it but the frequency of this occurrence is still too much.

15 hours ago, svluu said:

I see the blood graphic/animation indicating the shoot connects and I receive a skill increase.  The problem is that the shoot does no damage to the animal I hit it only cause the animal to cry out and flee.

I have had this happen also on two occasions, but I had a blood trail both times. It could be a bug because Hinterland states that if a bleed trail occurs the animal will go down eventually :huntingknife:

Not the case for the buck who spawns within the field closest to the Farmhouse in PV because I confirmed the blood trail was there and watched the deer as it headed for the river nearby behind the shed.

I gathered my arrow and headed off in that direction picking up the blood trail on the ice which suddenly disappeared as it continued along the water toward a clearing nearby that connects to the barn area

There is a deer there in the clearing grazing but is it the same deer? Does another spawn so close in the exact last known direction of the deer I was tracking atm? This deer isn't bleeding :|

Observing the deer for a short time gave me evidence to support that it was the deer I shot- the deer was trying to return back toward the direction of its spawn point near the house but kept retreating from the wolves currently within the other field closest to the Farmhouse on the opposite side and slowly the deer would return to retry the same path with the same result:o

So my theory based on this observation is that it is a bug relative to the bleed mechanic and memory issues in terms of draw distance. Maybe if the animal gets too far from the player the bleed mechanic cancels itself and the animal is rebooted and therefore resurrected as they're supposed to bleed to death right? The lack of blood trail in your experience could be the same bug except it didnt generate the trail at allo.O 

Of course reports of this happening to other players would need to be known to confirm any of this as a bug and if it is than at least it could be a rare one:coffee:

To the best of my knowledge, this is not a glitch. And I have experienced it myself quite a few times as well.

If you simply hit the side of an animal, you will "graze it", it will scare them, give you a skill increase and makes blood appear for a little bit, but the animal is simply scared away, it is not bleeding and eventually, once it gets far away from you, it will stop running away and turns into their normal, relaxed state.

Wiki has an article on it, and calls it "graze shots".
Reference: http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Hunting

I had this happen recently near ML office. The deer ran all over the place in high gear, running up and down the hills. It was crazy. It was bleeding for a while, I never found it and lost the arrow. The deer kept crossing its own tracks, blood drops were everywhere. :o

It seemed as if it was running for hours. This was up in the tree line that runs parallel to the rail and the lake trail. 

13 minutes ago, Mike in GA said:

I had this happen recently near ML office. The deer ran all over the place in high gear, running up and down the hills. It was crazy. It was bleeding for a while, I never found it and lost the arrow. The deer kept crossing its own tracks, blood drops were everywhere. :o

It seemed as if it was running for hours. This was up in the tree line that runs parallel to the rail and the lake trail. 

By what you describe, you definitedly did not just graze it. All animals that are scared of a player will run a certain distance from a player, after which they will reset into their own relaxed state. This happens during graze shots. 
What you described means you actually did hit the deer, but into a some part of the body that made it bleed for many hours, like a leg. If you never found an arrow, that means it was stuck in the deer - sometimes you can hit them just right that only a tiny bit of the arrow is sticking out.

If you had blood drops happen, that means the animal was bleeding. If it showed a blood animation on contact, intial blood splatter on the ground, but no more blood drops, that means you grazed the animal.

I think your deer just found some quiet, hidden place to die in, with your arrow still sticked in it. 

Another reason for why you might have lost your arrow is if you really just grazed it, the arrow hit the ice of a lake and bounced off to some far away. This happens when arrows hit the ice. But if there was blood trail, the animal was bleeding, wasnt just grazed.

6 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Wiki has an article on it, and calls it "graze shots".

Well that explains OP'S situation but not mine and@Mike in GA and I can assure everyone that there was no carcass found later and as I said I didn't lose sight of the deer long so it wasn't a different deer that I came across :huntingknife:

24 minutes ago, Mike in GA said:

If you're certain that there is no carcass nearby that could be that deer than looks like you experienced the same thing I didO.o

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Well that explains OP'S situation but not mine and@Mike in GA and I can assure everyone that there was no carcass found later and as I said I didn't lose sight of the deer long so it wasn't a different deer that I came across :huntingknife:

Blood trail does dissapear eventually. This is not an issue in my book.
Did you wait for the deer to bleed for 2 hours? If you didnt, then it probably was the same deer, which was still bleeding but due to being scared of the wolves its behaviour reseted. That happens too. I think that might be a bug, if anything around here.

I think the deer you observed got hit in the leg, and was bleeding out but you didnt have the patience to wait for it to die entirely. Because Hinterland is right, if blood trail happens, the animal goes down eventually. Resets by running far away from player is not likely, as I have had animals bleed out on opposite side of a region. The only way to reset it is to go indoors while the animal is bleeding, this can often reset it, but nothing else that I know of can.

3 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Did you wait for the deer to bleed for 2 hours? If you didnt, then it probably was the same deer, which was still bleeding but due to being scared of the wolves its behaviour reseted.

It wasn't bleeding when I found it I verified that for certain. I hit it in torso and arrow broke and fell, tracking the deer to the river is when blood trail disappeared and after following the direction it was headed toward last based on the latest trail allowed me to find it very close by. 

8 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

was bleeding out but you didnt have the patience to wait for it to die entirely.

If anything I am nothing but patient in this game due to its unforgiving mechanics such as permadeath^_^

And even if this was the case as I said before the deer wasn't bleeding when I found it, so the resetting of the deer could also include stopping blood loss as well. I watched it for awhile before taking it down whether it was over two game hours or not idk so I guess the bleed effect could've still have been occuring without dropping any blood droplets.

In either case it certainly seems like a bug although probably a rare one :coffee:

I have never seen an animal not drop dead eventually after getting hit in a way that it bled on the ground. I doubt it but it could be a bug. I still think you just managed to hit it in an unlucky way that it was bleeding for a long time. 

Reseting in behavior does not remove afflictions. If it was bleeding, it should have bled out - it will simply interrupt the "scared away" mechanic, by being "scared of the wolves" which eventually turns off, and resets the animal into its "relaxed state" even though its still bleeding. I have seen that happen on multiple animals throughout the game, they always eventually bled out. But most of the time I observed this behavior is when I managed to hit them into a leg, and it took forever for them to die.

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

If it was bleeding, it should have bled out - it will simply interrupt the "scared away" mechanic, by being "scared of the wolves" which eventually turns off, and resets the animal into its "relaxed state" even though its still bleeding.

The deer was relaxed and grazing, moving back toward the Farm until nearby the wolves then it would run and repeat the same pattern.

So IF it was still bleeding it showed no evidence. Have you ever witnessed an animal you know you hit to produce a blood trail and have it bleed to death without displaying a blood trail as it expired ?

I usually stay with the animal until it goes down and there was always a blood trail:/

Archived