Stormwolf1O1

Scent Detection

Recommended Posts

This is just a warning, I learned today that I've seriously been underestimating predators' scent detection range. On Scent 3 (maximum) Stalker mode, I was walking around just outside of the coastal townsite killing off wolves and harvesting them for a good several hours. Next thing I know I hear angry crows, the bear warning sound. I think huh, the Misanthrope's bear has wandered over to check out the scent. Nope. The Bear Creek Campground bear had trudged ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE MAP to get to me. Now there's a bear between me, and my base, Quonset. 

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.ab1eab41444965bf695fcc9582935e8e.png

I had no idea the scent mechanic worked quite like this, and I thought it was mostly short to medium range that it worked. I did not expect a bear to walk across the entire map to come and get me (not unless this were The Hunted challenge, heheh). So this is just a heads up for anyone who was unaware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That bear normally walks down there from time to time. I think it was just bad luck and not the scent. That bear is closer than the Misanthrope's Bear at times too so even if it was the scent it would make sense.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fuarian said:

That bear normally walks down there from time to time. I think it was just bad luck and not the scent. That bear is closer than the Misanthrope's Bear at times too so even if it was the scent it would make sense.

I guess that makes....scents. ;)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I guess that makes....scents. ;)

That can't make cents. Great Bear Island shut down their banks years ago.

 

(I tried)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also noticed that with 3 scent indicators . Wolves start to track you from very far away . I first noticed this in PV ( my favourite map). You can start a new game and try this yourselves. It's pretty scary when you see it in action.  

So I was on the little hill beside the road out the back of the farmstead (where the rabbits spawn. ) I was about to harvest a deer , but before I did I had a good look around  (long line of sight in most areas of PV ,that's why I like it ) there was the usual pack of three wolves way off in the distance  in the  field leading to three strikes farmstead. And also 2 wolves patrolling on the field  out the front door of the farmhouse.

Well after harvesting as much of the deer as I could carry. I was at 3 scent bars.  And wow I've never seen anything as scary in sanbox. They all came to investigate.  So I made a hasty return to the farmhouse porch and watched as they all homed in on the spot where I just was. They then stuck together as a new pack of 5 wolves and spent the next few days patrolling that spot. (Was on stalker mode).

So yeah don't know about bears but wolves can track you with 3 bars of scent  from I'd say around 1to2 kilometres away. Maybe even more.

Needless to say after seeing that I never carry enough to go over 2 scent bars now, and even then only if I'm close to home. 

Honestly you guys should try this out. See it in action for yourselves.

It's an eye opener. But not as scary as the hunted part one I suppose . That one definitely  left its mark for me. Certain parts of MLand PV now give me an irrational  fear of a bear attack all the time lol

Edited by sierra 117

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sierra 117 said:

Certain parts of MLand PV now give me an irrational  fear of a bear attack all the time lol

Skeeter's Ridge XD

Oh god, and leaving the Dam to go out to ML. I DID NOT EXPECT HIM TO BE THERE.

Edited by Stormwolf1O1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time I caught sight of a wolf actually tracking me well before he could see me gave me the creeping willies.  This was in Pleasant Valley and I only had two scent bars, but near the hayfield so I was watching out for them anyway.  I will definitely keep this advice in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sierra 117 said:

I've also noticed that with 3 scent indicators . Wolves start to track you from very far away . I first noticed this in PV ( my favourite map). You can start a new game and try this yourselves. It's pretty scary when you see it in action.  

So I was on the little hill beside the road out the back of the farmstead (where the rabbits spawn. ) I was about to harvest a deer , but before I did I had a good look around  (long line of sight in most areas of PV ,that's why I like it ) there was the usual pack of three wolves way off in the distance  in the  field leading to three strikes farmstead. And also 2 wolves patrolling on the field  out the front door of the farmhouse.

Well after harvesting as much of the deer as I could carry. I was at 3 scent bars.  And wow I've never seen anything as scary in sanbox. They all came to investigate.  So I made a hasty return to the farmhouse porch and watched as they all homed in on the spot where I just was. They then stuck together as a new pack of 5 wolves and spent the next few days patrolling that spot. (Was on stalker mode).

So yeah don't know about bears but wolves can track you with 3 bars of scent  from I'd say around 1to2 kilometres away. Maybe even more.

Somebody here (I don't recall who, or where it was posted) tested this mechanism shortly after it was first released. They found that with 3 scent bars, wolves from 3km or more away were all converging on the spot where they'd harvested the deer.

Edited by JAFO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Somebody here (I don't recall who, or where it was posted) tested this mechanism shortly after it was first released. They found that with 3 scent bars, wolves from 3km or more away were all converging on the spot where they'd harvested the deer.

I don't even know how one eyeballs or measures 1-3 kilometers in the game. Even with sliders and graphics all the way up, can you even see wolves 3 kilometers away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I don't even know how one eyeballs or measures 1-3 kilometers in the game.

By means of the grid coordinates shown when you F8 a screenshot, of course. See the thread on record distance rifle kills for a discussion of how grid units compare to metres.

 

19 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Even with sliders and graphics all the way up, can you even see wolves 3 kilometers away?

I believe the test was conducted on TWM, by a player who knew the normal patrol areas of all the wolves on the map. After getting rid of all the wolf-magnet stuff, they went and inspected said locations, and found all the wolves outside of their normal patrol areas, and moving towards Crystal Lake (where they'd butchered the deer) at a determined trot.

Edited by JAFO
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone once said, there's being told, and then there's learning it yourself.

A good way to test this yourself is to make sure you are in top condition, kill a deer and get that scent going, and then plop yourself within that area where the wolves won't come up from behind and yet you have a way out if need be. Then sit and watch how they approach. It might be worth doing a new Voyageur or Stalker save to really get a feel how the mechanic works so you can be better prepared in the future.

It might just be good knowledge for Wintermute, as it has been stated it is only going to get more difficult with each episode.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Samsonguy920 said:

Someone once said, there's being told, and then there's learning it yourself.

A good way to test this yourself is to make sure you are in top condition, kill a deer and get that scent going, and then plop yourself within that area where the wolves won't come up from behind and yet you have a way out if need be. Then sit and watch how they approach. It might be worth doing a new Voyageur or Stalker save to really get a feel how the mechanic works so you can be better prepared in the future.

Good point, and good idea.

There's also a third approach.. the one I use. If I have 2 or 3 bars showing, I assume every predator on the map is now headed in my direction, and make haste to be elsewhere. :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JAFO said:

Good point, and good idea.

There's also a third approach.. the one I use. If I have 2 or 3 bars showing, I assume every predator on the map is now headed in my direction, and make haste to be elsewhere. :)

That's basically how I handle it too. I butcher and then get the hell out of there....

I just assume that if I am meandering around there I am screwed...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, I think what everyone is forgetting is that a bear spawns right behind the townsite on the hill and often walks down there. 

Second, how do you know where the wolves came from to determine how far they came? Where they wearing "dam wolf" and "clearcut wolf" and "derailment wolf" jerzees? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2017 at 3:51 AM, JAFO said:

By means of the grid coordinates shown when you F8 a screenshot, of course. See the thread on record distance rifle kills for a discussion of how grid units compare to metres.

 

I believe the test was conducted on TWM, by a player who knew the normal patrol areas of all the wolves on the map. After getting rid of all the wolf-magnet stuff, they went and inspected said locations, and found all the wolves outside of their normal patrol areas, and moving towards Crystal Lake (where they'd butchered the deer) at a determined trot.

I'm not sure I have much faith in the validity of said experiment. I know you are recounting from memory, but it takes a good amount of time to travel around TWM.  If the wolves had actually left their patrol area, which they aren't supposed to do under normal circumstances, they'd have all arrived at crystal lake long before acplayer could check even two of the closest locations. Apart from that, there aren't any wolves that far away that actually have a pathing option to reach crystal lake. Well, maybe 1 or 2 places, but I don't think either of them is 3km from the lake.   If this true, it's quite realistic. A wolf could smell such a thing from far greater distances, if they were down wind. Maybe it is true, but this particular test seems like a lot of embellishment and half truth to back up a wild claim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now