Wolves

shadragon

Easy request. Give me viable tools to drive wolves off, avoid them, or kill them - OR - let me turn them off in settings.  Garbage can lid with stick to make noise (and use as shield), turn broom handle into spear, firecrackers, turn bed post into club, piece of glass from mirror as a spear tip, baseball bat with nails in the end, Molotov cocktail, tape a phone book around my forearm so they can bite me without damage as I drive a lit road flare into their eye. If there is a threat like that in real life, you'll invent a better defense than a piece of jagged metal as a dagger in short order. Also, why don't wolves bleed out after having a piece of metal shoved into them repeatedly? I get attacked by a wolf, get up, run after it, get within a meter and it yelps and runs away. It makes no sense. 

There are not enough medical supplies provided for more than two wolf attacks. Three and you may as well throw yourself off a cliff. Which is what I do now, if injured. Jump off a bridge and reset to a past save. Clothing cannot be repaired adequately after an attack so you end up with no trousers looking for old mans beard in an ice storm.  

I get you were going for a suspense angle with wolves, but now there's no fear when I encounter them now, they are just eye-roll annoying. This isn't Alien: Isolation, there's no logic to their attacks. If you come within x meters of them (whether up wind or downwind, still, sneaking or walking) they come right at you. Road flares don't work consistently, they would be a wonderful weapon to use in defense, but if attacked you drop them and there's limited numbers of them in-game regardless.   

This is the one game mechanic that needs improvement or an option to simply turn off.  Otherwise, TLD is a good game. 

I dunno if you make the natural remedies there is plenty to survive the damages of the attacks.

As for all those weapons I doubt you'll get them...we've been suggesting a spear for quite a while but it hasn't been added yet.

Maybe it's in the works...overall Hinterland totally listens to their player base.

if you are near other animals(prey for wolves) keep close at them because the wolves often attack or get distracted by bunnys or deer...just walk backwards while looking at them...there is plenty of medical supplies in game..if you dont find some you can craft them by harvesting plant(oldmans beard,rose hips ,make bandage out of cloth/you can harvest curtains at houses or ragged wear)

I'm in the railroad maintenance shed after repairing the rifle and I'm almost done with this game. 

Flares, torches, flare gun do nothing. I was patching myself up from a wolf attack (after picking up the flare I was holding previously) and another wolf jumps me. Fought him off, flare died, lit another flare, up comes wolf number three. I sidestep and back away only to be jumped again from the side by another, dead.  Reloaded the save and once again multiple attacks. Attack, gloves gone, attack, trousers gone, attack, balaclava gone, attack. Excuse me sir, but you have hypothermia as you're half naked in -36C after losing half your blood supply. No crap Sherlock. CTRL + ALT + DEL and kill the game.  

I understand there are folks out there who could do this game armed with just a paperclip plus a furious weasel stuffed in their boxers and they'll still demand more challenge.  That's not me. Games have to have logic to be fun and when what worked thirty minutes ago, no longer works, I have to question WTH is going on. No context for the change in behaviour but I'll bet this is a dream sequence. Doers not matter as I can't get through it. Leave the shed, wolves, cross the lake, wolves, cut the gate lock, wolves. I thought about going back into the shed for another 10 hours of sleep to wait for daylight, but I'm low on food and need to move on.  So here I am, standing in a shed surrounded by creatures who are just going to maul me no matter what I do. 

I can't sharpen a mop handle or pipe. Nor can I take a shelf support and put an edge on it to whack them before get to me.  I bet shoving that lit flare down his throat would be effective, but that would be "cruel". In a actual survival situation like that, wolfie would be going down. He might get a piece of me, but he's not walking away. The game is rigged for me to fail no matter what action I take and I don't like that. 

I play games to relax. Survival mode was slow paced and I love that. However, when I'm continuously more wound up after a game than when I started, then I have better things to do with my time. 

Aurora wolves are a lil tricky.

If you stay in the white light you should be fine, if ones guarding your path to the next light, thy luring it to the other side by stepping out of the light in that direction, rest up and sprint between each light and youll make it. Im not guaranteeing youll not get mauled once but it worked for me without a flare or anything.

The way backs easier, you can slide down the cliff slowly as a shortcut then soring accross the lake to a light, then use the flasjligjt you found on high beams to stop them from jumping you.

Also, you mentioned crossing the lake; there are actually light posts around the lake to your right you can run through to the fence. 

Ive been attacked while in the light however, but i think it was a bug.

On 2017-08-05 at 1:00 PM, shadragon said:

This is the one game mechanic that needs improvement or an option to simply turn off.  Otherwise, TLD is a good game.

Wolves don't bother me. I've got some good clothes, more flares than you can shake a stick at and I have to store most of them since I can't carry all of them around, got tons of meds so not worried about injury, a good axe that takes them out pretty good before they get the chance to hurt me, three very good knives and one is a superior knife which is the one I carry and I can't even remember where I left that metal shard, and I've got two good fire arms. And even with all that, I just run around with just a flare out 'cause they always work for me. I mean, even Amanda Ripley had to wait awhile to get that flame thrower.

11 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Are these "Aurora Wolves"? Do you have the flashlight and is it on "high intensity" to scare them off?

He doesn't have that yet I don't think. You have to make it past those first aurora wolves. Just stick to the lights, run from light to light. I had to do a restart on that one but I made it the second try.

On 8/6/2017 at 3:00 AM, shadragon said:

Give me viable tools to drive wolves off, avoid them, or kill them

Most of the wolves in Wintermute can be avoided simply by crouching and keeping your distance as you work your way around/past them.

Most of the rest can be avoided simply by walking away from them. Don't believe me? Click on the link, read the thread, then try it yourself!

Archived