Late Game!

Riverotter

I think that many would agree with me that after around 30 day in voyager, 30 - 40 days in staker, and 40-50 days in staker, way to ease, I would really prefer that all difficulty not including pilgrim would have increasing amounts of decay, especially the animal respawn time, and colder temperature.

On 12/11/2016 at 11:00 PM, Riverotter said:

I think that many would agree with me that after around 30 day in voyager, 30 - 40 days in staker, and 40-50 days in staker, way to ease, I would really prefer that all difficulty not including pilgrim would have increasing amounts of decay, especially the animal respawn time, and colder temperature.

Hey Riverotter, this is such a good idea that we've added it into the game already. Well, at least since Vigilant Trespass anyway. You'll see the world decay more over time in all Experience Modes currently -- affecting wildlife spawn behaviour, weather patterns, global temperature, and the availability of fuel resource spawns among other systems. 

Obviously this is more extreme for Interloper than for Pilgrim, but it's an idea that was on our minds as well. :)

@Patrick Carlson, when it comes to wildlife respawns lowering does it lower even when youre not depleting the wildlife around you? Or do you have to hunt them out?

Ever increasing times before animals respawn that you/the wolves hunted instead could force nomadic survival by forcing you to move, but if the lower respawns are all around even if you dont hunt then whats the point of moving?

Also, it seems by day 60 on pilgrim Im getting more wolves than on day 30, do the wolves increase instead of deplete?

Please understand Im not complaining, I like this difficulty spike, I just have a lot of questions on how it works.

18 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hey Riverotter, this is such a good idea that we've added it into the game already. Well, at least since Vigilant Trespass anyway. You'll see the world decay more over time in all Experience Modes currently -- affecting wildlife spawn behaviour, weather patterns, global temperature, and the availability of fuel resource spawns among other systems. 

Obviously this is more extreme for Interloper than for Pilgrim, but it's an idea that was on our minds as well. :)

Patrick,

Thanks for the reply, Before I start i want to say I love this game and love this forum and your interest in are feedback. 

I have some feedback on what i am and have experienced on my present game, I believe you that there is thinning and migration;however i think it should be turned way up on voyager for sure. But what would be a dream come true is a adjustable setting bars!!!:) for thing like this for us to choose the degree of things. I Am on day 79 on voyager  and have traveled from Mystery Lake to Coastal Highway( I manly stayed at the fishing cabins and have hunt deer out but the fishing huts like every other day it seemed. I didn't notice any migration or and thinning out, I wish there would have been thinning and migration to push me up above to that cute little rustic hunting cabin with rabbits and deer out front; however I had no need to trek up there or any where else for a hunt.  I was there on days 30-50 and then aging 60-70, and i would have like to see a bear at the fishing cabins or fishing huts,  especially with fresh fish on the ice.  then on to desolation point to make arrows, ran into my first bear at the whaling station. I am now in Pleasant Valley and I have only been there for a week and it is definitely more fun and challenging. I have seen one deer, one rabbit area, 7 wolfs, and one bear. which is a great change ;however,  I have not done much exploring yet. I'm sure i will get parasites in this region lol.

Back to what i was saying about adjustable setting bars is this possible is this something that has been desuced?

Thanks,

@Riverotter, the adjustable setting bars has been repeatedly discussed in both the steam forums and hinterland forums for at least a year and a half, however, there hasnt been any input, let alone proof of acknowledgement from the devs on it. Itd be nice to see where they stand on the topic but I understand theyre busy and its unrealistic to expect them to know and form an opinion on EVERY topic. Just keep putting it out there every once and a while and hope for the best.

24 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

@Riverotter, the adjustable setting bars has been repeatedly discussed in both the steam forums and hinterland forums for at least a year and a half, however, there hasnt been any input, let alone proof of acknowledgement from the devs on it. Itd be nice to see where they stand on the topic but I understand theyre busy and its unrealistic to expect them to know and form an opinion on EVERY topic. Just keep putting it out there every once and a while and hope for the best.

We've talked several times before about custom sliders -- but we're happy speak about it again here. We would see something like custom sliders (or adjustable settings bars) as watering down the Experience Modes that we've already tuned to offer specific ways to approach and take on the survival Sandbox. The design team has a particular vision for how the world comes together for players -- how it's realized in Stalker versus Pilgrim ect. That's not to say more tuning won't take place in the future, I'm sure it will, but custom settings affecting things like spawn rates for example aren't on the table right now. I hope that clarifies things a bit for you. Thanks for the question. 

3 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Thanks, good to know. I just bought the game there weeks ago. 

5 hours ago, Riverotter said:

This would be good to know.

13 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

@Patrick Carlson I still have a question concerning wildlife respawns, are they influenced by where and how much you hunt or does the wildlife die out without your input? Also, does it translate to less or more wolves in the end game?

Basically the world itself "decays" as I mentioned above, so wildlife spawns will generally reduce over the long haul, regardless of whether you harvest them or not. But this is a long process. :) 

Separately from that, it is possible to over-harvest wildlife in a particular area of the world and affect how quickly you'll see them respawn there. 

5 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Basically the world itself "decays" as I mentioned above, so wildlife spawns will generally reduce over the long haul, regardless of whether you harvest them or not. But this is a long process. :) 

Separately from that, it is possible to over-harvest wildlife in a particular area of the world and affect how quickly you'll see them respawn there. 

Thanks, so its a little bit of both. This helps a lot I appreciate your answer!

My dreamlist experience : based on interloper.

- An Interloper with all items in the world (rifle, knife, hatchet, high quality clothes), but of course rare. And of course I don't want more in concerning quantity og items

- a little less of all animals

- a little less calorie consomption

- more calories for meat and fish.

- less degradation for canned food

- less degradation for clothes

- a little less frenquently "wind direction changes" (maybe)

Shortly, these thing for a more realistic experience.

7 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

- An Interloper with all items in the world (rifle, knife, hatchet, high quality clothes), but of course rare. And of course I don't want more in concerning quantity og items

But more realistic doesn't mean a better game!

12 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Totally agree with you.

4 hours ago, togg said:

But more realistic doesn't mean a better game!

Not for every one your right, but for People like  Vinceoffprenees and me it does. This why I would rather have individual setting sliders to set for are self, instead of the four game types that Hinterland work so hard on and did such a great job.

4 hours ago, Riverotter said:

Not for every one your right, but for People like  Vinceoffprenees and me it does. This why I would rather have individual setting sliders to set for are self, instead of the four game types that Hinterland work so hard on and did such a great job.

I guess it's like going to the movies, you are going to dislike some choices but it is what it is :) An art products with creators that have a vision.

Its been a while since we last discussed this so I'm going to add my two cents again. 

The progressive decay is a wonderful concept that was quite popular on the forums before the vigilant trespass update was released. This being said, in my 370 days voyager game I can only really feel the weather decay. The wildlife population and respawn rates feel the same, don't know if the decay is too small to be noticed or is not working as intended. 

On the custom settings topic, I'd definetely love to be able to customize my experience. I don't really understand (although I respect it) the "fixed experiences" reasoning for a mode that was originally designed to test the gameplay foundations of the story mode. Main reason for the Sandbox mode to stay seems to be that the community loves it. Well, if its a community (partially) driven mode / experience, why not give us the chance to set it up based on our preferred play-style? Its not like the rest of the modes  would be lost... this would just mean adding a new one, that would most probably be used by experienced players looking to tailor their experience based on their learning with the standard modes.

I know I would love to be abe to play in Interloper weather, with Stalker loot and Voyager wildlife :D 

10 minutes ago, Ohbal said:

why not give us the chance to set it up based on our preferred play-style? Its not like the rest of the modes  would be lost... this would just mean adding a new one, that would most probably be used by experienced players looking to tailor their experience based on their learning with the standard modes.

Yes it would be lost. Really people, read the answers that you already got :D If you add custom sliders, you're removing the ability to imagine yourself playing with a lot of other people the same kind of experience. People will start to have doubts to what to choose, they will think "is that better?" start again with a different setup, having doubts to what makes the game interesting and fun. It would completelly destroy the relationship with the game, especially for new players. Please don't say "so maybe we could unlock this later....", no, it's not better.

It's interesting to note that all of the things that I appreciate in The Long Dark are completelly rejected by a part of the community of players (strong level design VS procedural stuff, modes VS sliders, decision gameplay VS action-spear-wolves) it makes me wonder of the survival videogames that we had before and why this one was so important to change them.

Well, let's agree to disagree :)

I've been reading answers on this topic for quite a while and I know there are people on both sides. I also know that we, the forum inhabitants, are a super minor fraction of TLD playerbase so I tend to not make any assumptions based on what I read here. 

I don't think a custom mode would make the majority of the player base to ignore the basic ones. Those modes would still be there, and I'd be willing to bet that most of the first-time players wouldn't jump to customize a game right from the start. You need to understand the game you want to customize, after all.

I can only speak for myself, but I tend to play the basic modes first before jumping into tailoring a custom one. In many of the games that have this options, I use it just sometimes to make things different. 

If you add custom sliders, you're removing the ability to imagine yourself playing with a lot of other people the same kind of experience.

You really got me confused there. I for one have never really imagined myself playing with a lot of people... I rather think I'm completely alone in the world when digging into TLD ;) And... again, the basic modes wouldn't be going anywhere. 

But I don't really intend to make any more noise on this topic for now, I've been here before and so far it always end at the same place :D 

11 hours ago, Ohbal said:

Its been a while since we last discussed this so I'm going to add my two cents again. 

The progressive decay is a wonderful concept that was quite popular on the forums before the vigilant trespass update was released. This being said, in my 370 days voyager game I can only really feel the weather decay. The wildlife population and respawn rates feel the same, don't know if the decay is too small to be noticed or is not working as intended. 

On the custom settings topic, I'd definetely love to be able to customize my experience. I don't really understand (although I respect it) the "fixed experiences" reasoning for a mode that was originally designed to test the gameplay foundations of the story mode. Main reason for the Sandbox mode to stay seems to be that the community loves it. Well, if its a community (partially) driven mode / experience, why not give us the chance to set it up based on our preferred play-style? Its not like the rest of the modes  would be lost... this would just mean adding a new one, that would most probably be used by experienced players looking to tailor their experience based on their learning with the standard modes.

I know I would love to be abe to play in Interloper weather, with Stalker loot and Voyager wildlife :D 

I agree as well,  on day 160 in voyager I haven't noticed anything.  

I want to play interloper weather, staker loot, and stalker animals but less deer and more decay in respawn and more migration.

13 hours ago, togg said:

I guess it's like going to the movies, you are going to dislike some choices but it is what it is :) An art products with creators that have a vision.

I understand nothing will make everyone happy, and that hinterland is doing a great job; however this is in a Wish list forum so let me wish,lol. :)

Archived