Getting a headstart on modding: RV shelter + acoustic guitar

I posted this to /r/thelongdark but I want to share it here too.

Since I can't be bothered to wait until modding's officially added to the game, I thought I would start by making my own custom shelter. The RV is meant to look like a cozy place to stay but it has its own tradeoffs. It's warm and comes with a dense stockpile of food (including some hidden in the exterior storage bin) but there's no fresh water and no place to build a fire indoors. I picture it being used like the bunk trailers, good for a quick rest between destinations but not for an extended stay.

There's a 3D viewer of it here and the WIP thread is over on polycount. 

As for the acoustic guitar...I mostly just wanted to make a guitar, but I think it could fit with the planned mental health mechanics. It's a low-calorie way to pass time indoors without incurring cabin fever, but it's also heavy enough to make lugging it around a major inconvenience. As with other skills, you start out terrible and get better over time. It also makes up for all the broken radios in that you get to hear yourself play.

Is there stuff you guys would like to see as mod content? I'm less interested in changes to the mechanics (I think TLD has enough of these already) and more interested building new maps. What kind of regions or shelters would you like to see?

10.thumb.png.68cbad602ca3e83b589e778da1d11.thumb.jpg.c84e7fbb6a31e9d8c02b52bcd5911_5.thumb.jpg.733bdc34485d1fde9f601891d12.thumb.jpg.463f4138ebc3f39b8f4f22031d813.thumb.jpg.fd1db35587f6410c80f0a5d934e14.thumb.jpg.c63993222ff0ec0dcc002cc94d915.thumb.jpg.b3ab987695f6bdcb5c805e122ca16.thumb.jpg.7bd995ea735ee57d0aff547adfe17.thumb.jpg.0d3ad1ba9f0099781c5bdaf7b8718.thumb.jpg.4a912c5c1a478530458d16aa681

This stuff actually looks amazing, here is a suggestion, just as a giggle. If modding does come into the game and you do make this a mod... Would we expect to find a bag of blue meth inside the RV perhaps? Just kidding.

I do like the idea of the guitar, and I do think you could make it like a skill. e.g, much like how you can read a book on say... fishing, you can read a music book and understand the basics, and then you can find sheet music throughout the world so that you, the player, can play them.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting ideas here! I know Hinterland is against modding right now, but once story mode comes out, I hope they open it up more. They are really concerned about the long game for The Long Dark, and modding communities really help that issue. Keep up the great work @pixelb!

• 1 month later...

totally love this!! how about a Harmonica? seems to work real well for Les Stroud! a Sugar Shack for maple syrup or a still for some good old whiskey making? Talk about improving morale.....lol. a simple bird cage for trapping birds to eat? or a sling/slingshot maybe?  rusty old 4wheelers or snowmachines

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

It looks beautiful! However, living in a 5th wheel trailer that is actually bigger than your rendering, I can tell you right now that it would NOT be warm without the ability to use propane or electricity to heat it. It is only October and temperatures are dipping into the 40's at night here in Washington State. There is some insulation but not much and the windows are thin enough that even with curtains and blinds that it would be pretty cold for the survivor. The major upside to a 5th wheel trailer though is the fact that there is so much storage that there would be all kinds of nooks and crannies to search for items. Another upside might be that the survivor could actually see weather conditions and animals from the trailer whilst still being safe from the majority of weather's effects much like with The Mountaineer's hut.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017 at 3:25 AM, Ape88 said:

I can tell you right now that it would NOT be warm without the ability to use propane or electricity to heat it. It is only October and temperatures are dipping into the 40's at night here in Washington State. There is some insulation but not much and the windows are thin enough that even with curtains and blinds that it would be pretty cold for the survivor.

I was about to say the same thing.. the insulation in them is practically useless.

Archived