Ptarmagins / Grouse

Ahatch

Welcome to the forums! ^_^

Completely agree that wildlife needs a bit more diversity, especially of the avian kind. How would you hunt those birds? The .303 cartridge of the hunting rifle seems a bit overpowered (unless we want instant pulled chicken) and the bow seems a bit too slow. Would you suggest a new hunting weapon to go with it? Maybe just throwing stuff (worked for dozens of milllenia!)

18 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Maybe just throwing stuff (worked for dozens of milllenia!)

maybe we could find a high-powered pellet rifle in the kids room of the pleasant valley farmhouse. or they could add a .22 long rifle, that would also be ideal.

if you wanna get as primitive as throwing stuff, cavemen used slings to hurl rocks at small game :D slings have been discussed here on the forums before.
maybe we could find surgical tubing or bungee cord to fashion a homemade slingshot. it'd be crude, but it'd work.

This is the only situation in which I would tolerate the addition of a shotgun (as many people may probably know by now, I am very much against shotguns) as this is where a rifle lets itself down. A bow could still take down a bird, of course, but that's rather drastic unless you are taking down heavy game birds like geese, but its less of a waste than rifle cartridges. 

11 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

maybe we could find a high-powered pellet rifle in the kids room of the pleasant valley farmhouse. or they could add a .22 long rifle, that would also be ideal.

if you wanna get as primitive as throwing stuff, cavemen used slings to hurl rocks at small game :D slings have been discussed here on the forums before.
maybe we could find surgical tubing or bungee cord to fashion a homemade slingshot. it'd be crude, but it'd work.

Two items: Guts and sticks. I suppose "guts" encompasses not only the gastrointestinal tract of animals but also other organs. The bladder is important here - goat bladders and other intestines have historically been used as condoms, so they're probably quite flexible. Add some pebbles or scrap metal or even reasonably large pieces of ice and ammo and BAM (or rather 'strrrrrnnnnnng') you have an extremely inaccurate weapon that is nonetheless capable of bringing down a bird. Granted, such a weapon would lose condition extremely quickly, but the materials are renewable.

Welcome to the forums @Ahatch! ^_^

I've actually suggested game birds myself. It would be really nice to see more animal diversity in the game. I agree though that hunting them with a rifle would be absurd. If game birds were added it would justify the inclusion of a .22LR. They're very common and would be used in the setting of the game. Alternatively, you would use blunt arrows. You don't really need to pierce the bird; just stun it until you can harvest it.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎09 at 5:39 PM, starfighter441 said:

Grey Jays?  I always knew them as Canada Jays?

They've got a couple of different names actually. I've always gone with grey jays since that's what they're listed in my bird book as. The juveniles are especially curious. I've fed them bread from my hand before at home :winky:

Archived