Repairing (sewing) vs. crafting ... odd difficulty level?

aurora

for me it seems a little odd, that repairing (sewing) apparently is more difficult than crafting. For example:

I have the deer-skin boots. It takes some time, but there doesn't seem to be any difficulty to craft them. After a fight with a wolf the boots went down to 35% in condition. I had two deer skins left in my inventory but did not manage to fix the boots with either of them (70% probability, which is not much)! Two wasted skins instead. Would have been better for me to just craft a new pair of boots and i'll definitely do so in future.

What do others think? Shouldn't be the motivation to fix your stuff higher than just crafting new stuff and shouldn't crafting be more difficult than repairing?

Just wanted to add that I find the current progression rate in mending extremely slow as well. I guess it's because we lack training books atm and would thus very much welcome the addition of these.

In general I wouldn't mind 'practicing' a little before I use furs for repariers (as @cekivi suggested ) but somehow this doesn't work for me with the current system. At least not with a somehow reasonable amount of practicing. 

My fur clothes usually need repair around day 40 - 50, but my mending skill has hardly reached two or so at that time. Besides, I don't really want to repair tons of stuff I'm never going to wear just to push the skill.

Until the mending skill progression feels a bit more balanced, I'll thus probably continue to save the game before I use furs for repariers and reload upon failure if necessary.

It's an artificial solution for sure, but (pointlessly) burning through 10 sewing kits just to get the mending skill to three doesn't feel natural to me either. 

Long story short: I believe we need some mending books for a better balancing of the progression rate. :normal:

I wonder if they're going for some kind of feel where some skills are easier to push by doing and other skills are best pushed by research? It would be odd to do the for mending and then not include any books though. That said I feel like all skill progression has been slowed down some in the most recent release.

Mending is a joke in it's current state. The higher level perks are basically nothing (repairing more condition is useless as you generally don't want to wait until your clothing is at 50% anyways), and you basically have to intentionally toss away dozens of cloth to get to even a semi decent success rate on repairs which almost defeats the whole point to begin with. Books wouldn't help much, as it would only give 10 EXP, same as 10 repairs, and it seems to take over 30 to even get level 2 much less any higher.

If you actually waited to repair every item until it was 'optimal' I actually don't see you getting even lvl 2 mending before hundreds of days have passed unless you constantly get clothes torn by wolves. The skill shouldn't require intentional 'grinding' or wasting of cloth to progress at even a semi decent rate.

As a small anecdote, even intentionally repairing clothes at 90-92% constantly it took me about 43 days and 15 hours to actually reach level 2 mending. Someone who was doing this 'naturally' would probably never even see level 2 in a standard game.

Either lower the EXP required for the lower levels at least, or make crafting clothing give 1 EXP per 1 hour crafting (which would make a ton of sense anyways).

On 9/28/2016 at 2:30 PM, aurora said:

for me it seems a little odd, that repairing (sewing) apparently is more difficult than crafting. For example:

I have the deer-skin boots. It takes some time, but there doesn't seem to be any difficulty to craft them. After a fight with a wolf the boots went down to 35% in condition. I had two deer skins left in my inventory but did not manage to fix the boots with either of them (70% probability, which is not much)! Two wasted skins instead. Would have been better for me to just craft a new pair of boots and i'll definitely do so in future.

What do others think? Shouldn't be the motivation to fix your stuff higher than just crafting new stuff and shouldn't crafting be more difficult than repairing?

Even before the current version of the system I usually crafted new rather than mend old once it got below 50%.  Particularly with deer skin items.  If I have 1 deer skin and a set of raggedy boots, salvage the boots and then craft a new item rather than mend and end up with still damaged item.  The new mending system just adds incentive to not mend anything you need to use skins for.  

That being said, at one point I knew how to darn socks, properly mend clothes so they were almost as good as new, repair hats and coats, etc... as well as make the things.  And generally it was easier to make new ones, just more time consuming.  Ridiculously longer if doing it by hand.  *wanders off muttering about general insanity during the bicentennial"

Glad, that i am not alone with my opinion on this. I would like to add, that it's very annoying that a complete skin is wasted, if repairing fails and i am not sure, if this really makes sense anyway: shouldn't the material just "degrade" somehow? for example a wasted piece of cloth could still be used to craft bandages? 

Archived