Bag/inventory system

palmic

Hey guys,

it would send my game experience even closer to heaven if the game would implement inventory system based on crafted/found bag item.

You could have only one from smallest ones (like those found in various cabins) to crafted lets say from bear pelt, deer leather etc...

You should of course start without any bag, so you would have pretty small inventory and need to let many things laying around...

You could have some starter bag based on your game difficulty..

Hardest difficulty could even start just with your 2 hands..

Well, I don't think I've seen you around so allow me to welcome you to these forums! Grab a cup of coffee, take some fishing lines and enjoy your stay! ^_^:coffee:

I'd love small bags to add to my clothes and perhaps better backpacks to find - weight distribution is a thing. Now, the overall buff from perfect packs all over shouldn't exceed +10kg, but yeah, it'd be a nice addition. Bonus points if packs and similar things suffer just like clothes! (I accidently broke a backpack IRl just recently. It was the one that made the exact same sound when opening as the one in TLD, and now I'm sad. :()

10 kilos ?!?! Seriously !?!? Again with this attitude that player is bulimic or something. Even tho hes in extreme conditions with death being a real threat every day, he is still unable to carry more that an average preschooler. Having some mental disorder thinking that hes on a hike and should take it easy.

On 9/18/2016 at 1:53 PM, Wastelander said:

Well, I don't think I've seen you around so allow me to welcome you to these forums! Grab a cup of coffee, take some fishing lines and enjoy your stay! ^_^:coffee:

I'd love small bags to add to my clothes and perhaps better backpacks to find - weight distribution is a thing. Now, the overall buff from perfect packs all over shouldn't exceed +10kg, but yeah, it'd be a nice addition. Bonus points if packs and similar things suffer just like clothes! (I accidently broke a backpack IRl just recently. It was the one that made the exact same sound when opening as the one in TLD, and now I'm sad. :()

3 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

10 kilos ?!?! Seriously !?!? Again with this attitude that player is bulimic or something. Even tho hes in extreme conditions with death being a real threat every day, he is still unable to carry more that an average preschooler. Having some mental disorder thinking that hes on a hike and should take it easy.

I think Wastelander meant that among a choice of bags/backpacks, a better setup would increase the current load capacity by up to an additional 10kg. So if the current backpack limits your character to to 30kg without encumbrance penalties, then the improved setup can go up to 40kg (30kg base + 10kg bonus for better pack). Basically, a simple game mechanic to simulate the difference between trying to carry stuff in a cheap knapsack meant for a day hike versus an internal frame pack with compression straps and wings, waist strap, 75+ liter volume, etc.

27 minutes ago, TheRealNFK said:

I think Wastelander meant that among a choice of bags/backpacks, a better setup would increase the current load capacity by up to an additional 10kg. So if the current backpack limits your character to to 30kg without encumbrance penalties, then the improved setup can go up to 40kg (30kg base + 10kg bonus for better pack). Basically, a simple game mechanic to simulate the difference between trying to carry stuff in a cheap knapsack meant for a day hike versus an internal frame pack with compression straps and wings, waist strap, 75+ liter volume, etc.

Yes, this is precisely what I meant. Thank you for that! ^_^ Weight bonuses in and of themselves remain, of course debatable, but it should never be too overpowered. Of course, some SpecOps soldiers allegedly carry up to 100kg of gear, but we're not playing a Special Operator ;) Still, I do agree that the current weight limitations are a bit low. Then again, I'm not really an avid hiker (although I'd love to be!), so you should take everything I say on that matter with more than just one grain of salt.

26 minutes ago, TheRealNFK said:

30kg base of what ? Where am i storing those 30 kilos without backpack ?

Player should have various containers, like pockets, bags, fannypacks, etc, with biggest being backpack, that have certain capacity in liters. With that being only limit to containers, eg if you stuff it with 2 much stuff it may burst and small(and i mean small) speed penalty based on weight. That absurd crap where im moving at snails pace by merely adding 10 kilos over the "limit" is ridonculous.

3 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

30kg base of what ? Where am i storing those 30 kilos without backpack ?

Like I said: "if the current backpack limits your character to to 30kg without encumbrance penalties..."

The current default pack back (the one that appears every time we open inventory in game) has a 30kg limit. After that, encumbrance penalties start to kick in. If there were better backpacks in game, then they would be able to go over that limit, from what I understand Wastelander to be saying. That's all, it's not complicated. Go from one default backpack to multiple options, some with higher limits than others.

As for a volumetric system, sure, that's how it works in real life, but that also means a complete overhaul of the inventory system (every item would need a volume value added in addition to its listed mass). The game has had a simple weight limit system, with increasing encumbrance penalties for going over that limit, pretty much since the beginning. And the penalties aren't that terrible if you only go slightly over the limit, it's only really bad if you start loading up way over the limit and try to make a long trip.

Which is fine, really. I'd rather have a game mechanic that makes us prioritize what we pack rather than be able to haul 60 kilos at full speed wherever we go, scooping up all the loot in a trip or two.

I have considered a volume - based inventory in the past, and I personally am for it. Having to balance your inventory volume versus weight would be an interesting challenge, however items such as the prybar, hatchet, rifle, bow, mountaineering rope and bedrolls should be volume-exempt, as these bulky items would be secured onto the exterior of your pack, or in the case of the hatchet, secured to your belt, and so would not take up internal volume, but would still have a weight factor.

The upgradable backpack idea has been stalking the back-alleys of the forums for a year or so now, but it is nice to see it being brought up again, certainly has my support.

I would also like to remind people that immediately jumping into a discussion with hostility and a superior tone simply makes you out to be a dislikeable git, and I would like to invite such people to bugger off and return when they can discuss things civilly.

12 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Please watch your tone @Dirmagnos. Your posts get reported because of it on a regular basis and it just happened again with this one here. There's no need at all for being that agressive and rude all the time, you can also make your point in a way more neutral way.

We want these forums to be a welcoming place where people enjoy sharing their ideas and not the local sarcasm (or nihilism) training club. Thank you.

Archived