Glitch or hidden game mechanic/ wolf behaviour?

Hatchet

So i found out way to scare wolves using nothing, heck i could probably do it in my underpants now that i think about it.

I posted it on youtube, i'll copy the description;

Getting tired of constantly running away from the wolves? I bet you do *wink* *wink*
Flares? Fire? A rifle of all? You'll forget all about those safety measures as soon as you learn this secret trick that will help lighten your load.. eh eh...

Hidden in game mechanic lets you intimidate wolves and form a sort of "relationship", this relationship thing is not really shown that obviously in the video but when intimidating a pack of wolves a few times , the next time one of them will try to attack you, there's about a 25% chance they will run away instead. (Just don't show them your buttocks)
Also scaring one wolf in the pack might also scare away others, though this doesn't happens everytime, always take precautions when there's multiple wolves.

How do you pull it off? (Works 95% of the time, better than flares!)
1: Let a wolf spot you.
(1.5: Lure the wolf)
2: When in a comfortable spot (with your back towards a wall preferably), don't move, face the wolf and let it come closer.
3: When the wolf is close enough it will start barking and initiate an attack, when you hear the bark, move towards the wolf (running is not required)
~As explained before, when you have already successfully managed to intimidate a wolf from the pack there's a ~25% chance the wolf (and others) will run away after one starts to bark.

Here's the video;
My biggest question is; Is this just one glitch-ish big coincidence, or a well hidden game mechanic?

Anyway, pretty nice find if you ask me :D

~Hatchet

3 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

he was playing the snow storm challenge...  are there options on this challenge that i dont know about?

Thanks. It's not actually clear what might be happening here, but it's been submitted to the tech team to look at. You can certainly be attacked by a wolf in the Whiteout Challenge. 

On 8/29/2016 at 10:52 PM, Hatchet said:

1: Let a wolf spot you.

(1.5: Lure the wolf)
2: When in a comfortable spot (with your back towards a wall preferably), don't move, face the wolf and let it come closer.
3: When the wolf is close enough it will start barking and initiate an attack, when you hear the bark, move towards the wolf (running is not required)
~As explained before, when you have already successfully managed to intimidate a wolf from the pack there's a ~25% chance the wolf (and others) will run away after one starts to bark.

This is my wolf hunting strategy. The difference is I strip before charging (to avoid clothes ripping). I reasoned that might be why the wolves sometimes run away; better than fighting a mad, naked woman.

19 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

@Hatchet which Experience Mode is this in the video? Thanks! 

Can i safely assume that it's some sort of a glitch?
If so i'll edit all my descriptions to exclude the way to do it, just get back to me on that if you want, i don't want people to ruin their experience by exploiting glitches, though this is kind of a fun one so hmm.... whatever you say goes boss.

I might try this "tactic" in other areas on other wolves and see what results i get, but rite noa i'm playing on my deadly serious character and she isn't in the mood for playing games.

Edit: wanted to quote your second post but messed up somehow.

~Hatchet

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheRealNFK said:

I've had the occasional wolf run from me on Voyageur sandbox when I had nothing (no brandished flare, torch or brand, no weapon, no wolfskin coat), but it's never been consistent, and I certainly can't rely on it. Is this behavior unique to the Whiteout challenge?

As currently designed, there is a chance when encountering wolves that they will turn tail and run instead of instigating a struggle with you. But we certainly like to hear and see reports on cases where there might be something else going on. :coffee:

6 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

As currently designed, there is a chance when encountering wolves that they will turn tail and run instead of instigating a struggle with you. But we certainly like to hear and see reports on cases where there might be something else going on. :coffee:

Usually when I jump off a hill and land near a wolf it will run away.

On 9/18/2016 at 0:30 AM, Patrick Carlson said:

Superb feature. One of those little but essential details that make game great.

On 9/18/2016 at 5:30 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

And somehow that chance is tripled when I'm hankering for wolf wrestling!

Archived