Quick fix best fix — Swap positions of the repair and harvest options

Hadrian

Greetings everyone,

The title of this one pretty much speaks for itself.

It's happened to all of us, at all stages of gameplay and experience; that dread-inducing moment of realizing you've just shredded your Expedition Parka instead of repairing it as you intended. Or any other clothing item, for that matter.

A big part of why this mistake happens, in my experience, is that the "Harvest" option is the top / default option when dealing with clothing actions. You have to actually switch to "Repair," which is of course the more innocuous (at least) or helpful (at most) option, rather than having to consciously switch to the more dangerous choice, which would be more intuitive.

So, why not switch their positions? Have "Repair" be option #1 and the default, and "Harvest" be option #2 that you have to consciously choose.

Thoughts?

-H

Throwing my two cents into this one as well. It makes more sense for it to be swapped, as right now, especially if you use a controller, it's far to easy to hit the wrong one and destroy something instead of repairing it.

Edit: Heh, The Hadrian. I'll keep that one in mind ;)

Yep, I've accidentally harvested many pieces of clothing and items this way.

At some point, when you're harvesting and/or repairing a number of clothing items, it can become rote, and then the mind wanders. You click, you harvest. Ooops...

Or one is otherwise distracted, and instead of cleaning/sharpening one's rifle/knife/blade, it is now demolished. Wow, that's like really not frustrating.. at all!

So I agree with Hadrian that destroying an item should not be the default choice. It's counter-intuitive as well. Shouldn't shredding an item be the last option?

That said (and let me play devil's advocate here for a moment): from the standpoint of convenience, it makes a lot of chores easier, since you'll harvest far more items in the game than you'll repair. You'll harvest cloth (and leather) to keep your weight down; you'll harvest multiple pieces of cloth to repair the clothing items that are really good; sometimes you need to shred a number of clothing items to get all of your clothing up to the point where it's decent.

Still, precisely because shredding items is so common in TLD, a mistake is easily made; which makes for frustrating gameplay. Now I don't mind the game being frustrating because it has a steep learning curve - it's pretty darn challenging and that's half the fun: you jump back in the fray and try again.

But frustration because of a small design flaw with serious ramifications for when you accidentally click the wrong button, where it shouldn't take much programming or imagination to reverse the order of options?

That's just kind of annoying.

Archived