remove dead bodies

jeremiah johnson

5 minutes ago, miah999 said:

I've also been hoping they'd add some kind of grave mechanic, I would mind burying all the poor souls I come across. 

Same here.

I'll loot them first for all valuables of course, but I'd put them to rest after that. :)

2 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Would be a nice addition with the upcoming willpower-system - seeing a corpse lowers your willpower ("Will I end up like him?") but burying one raises it ("You're at a better place now, man, rest in peace.")

Exactly.

This would really be a nice addition to the game. I've thought about this several times, especially when I end up staring at one every morning when I wake up. I'm not sure I'd be bothered burying the ones outside, since they provide a steady supply of crow feathers, and I personally feel like they'd be happier knowing they are helping me survive than becoming compost.  8-) 

2 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Would be a nice addition with the upcoming willpower-system - seeing a corpse lowers your willpower ("Will I end up like him?") but burying one raises it ("You're at a better place now, man, rest in peace.")

Honestly, it would be the stupidest casual feature to date.

Even for average person, dead body causes something between curiosity and repulsion. That effect is even lesser due to the fact that in tLD they are fully clothed and dont smell. Protagonist must be a total sissy to get all worked up over one little corpse. Something that would go totally against Wills bio.

Not to mention that buried corpse would be simply dug out by scavengers.

35 minutes ago, TROY said:

This would really be a nice addition to the game. I've thought about this several times, especially when I end up staring at one every morning when I wake up. I'm not sure I'd be bothered burying the ones outside, since they provide a steady supply of crow feathers, and I personally feel like they'd be happier knowing they are helping me survive than becoming compost.  8-) 

If crows were re-done so they were attracted to deer killed by you or the wolves, then the feather supply wouldn't be an issue. But I can see why you would want to worry about random bodies. But it could still be nice to have the option.

16 hours ago, miah999 said:

If crows were re-done so they were attracted to deer killed by you or the wolves, then the feather supply wouldn't be an issue. But I can see why you would want to worry about random bodies. But it could still be nice to have the option.

That would be nice. Plus, if crows would be attracted to any body for only limited amount of time and at some point they would simply lose interest and wont return to it.

Right now feathers are on par with sticks in terms of obtainability - extremely easy to get, but are required only in one specific crafting recipe. It would be nice that getting them and appropriate amount of them, would require some effort and keeping an eye on crow movements.

I don't believe it's really feasible to bury someone in frozen ground. At least it doesn't make much sense regarding the work effort. Burning those poor fellows would be much easier. 

I'd certainly find that a good idea, it always bugs me a bit not to be able to remove corpses from my bases.

5 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

I don't believe it's really feasible to bury someone in frozen ground. At least it doesn't make much sense regarding the work effort. Burning those poor fellows would be much easier. 

I'd certainly find that a good idea, it always bugs me a bit not to be able to remove corpses from my bases.

That's true, we should burn them then!

32 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

This I did not take into account, the frozen ground (sick rhymes here, yo). However, doesn't burning a corpse use a lot of fuel? Like, a huge lot? 

55 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

Burying is probably out of the question. Making a hole in ice, weighing it down and dumping there would probably feasible. Also would attract fish, so it would be good for fishing.

And burning... with amount of wood required to burn body to ash... player would spend a month collecting that wood. Youre better off digging a hole in a frozen ground.

Altho generally moving corpses would be nice, but for me from purely aesthetic point of view, corpses dont really bother me much(irl included, seen a few).

No idea, for reasons of playability the 'realistic' amount of firewood would most likely need to be reduced indeed. I for one would e.g find 30kg or so a quite reasonable amount gameplay-wise. At least it would definitely give you something to do in the long run to collect all that wood.:silly:

14 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

No idea, for reasons of playability the 'realistic' amount of firewood would most likely need to be reduced indeed. I for one would e.g find 30kg or so a quite reasonable amount gameplay-wise. At least it would definitely give you something to do in the long run to collect all that wood.:silly:

We can blame the lower fuel need on the wick effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wick_effect ^_^

If this discussion were to take place in any other place than the Hinterland forums, people would be concerned, just saying :D

31 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Burying is probably out of the question. Making a hole in ice, weighing it down and dumping there would probably feasible. Also would attract fish, so it would be good for fishing.

I like this idea. Easy, feasible and still with at least a hint of respect for the Dead Dude.

11 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

That would be nice. Plus, if crows would be attracted to any body for only limited amount of time and at some point they would simply lose interest and wont return to it.

Right now feathers are on par with sticks in terms of obtainability - extremely easy to get, but are required only in one specific crafting recipe. It would be nice that getting them and appropriate amount of them, would require some effort and keeping an eye on crow movements.

9 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

And burning... with amount of wood required to burn body to ash... player would spend a month collecting that wood. Youre better off digging a hole in a frozen ground.

THIS AND THIS! DEAD ON!  I personally don't care HOW we get rid of them, I just wanna be able to remove a corpse from a building that I want to inhabit. It's just creepy, and disrespectful, and about the third night you had a nice cozy fire going to stay warm, things would start getting a bit unpleasant to say the least. There is no reason whatsoever for NOT letting us "remove" a corpse if we choose. 

16 hours ago, cekivi said:

A cairn is also viable as are turned over canoes and boxes in trees. All were used by aboriginal peoples for burials albeit with specific ceremonies and body preparation first.

Or, for expediency's sake, just a snow mound with a marker. Something to remove the body from the house I'm staying in, with a way to memorialize them (and remind me to deal with them when the ground thaws)

The caloric effort for burying a corpse in the dead of winter could be the difference between life and death, and they're not in any hurry.

5 minutes ago, danicusrex said:

Or, for expediency's sake, just a snow mound with a marker. Something to remove the body from the house I'm staying in, with a way to memorialize them (and remind me to deal with them when the ground thaws)

The caloric effort for burying a corpse in the dead of winter could be the difference between life and death, and they're not in any hurry.

YES! So much THIS!

From the beginning I only thought of the whole burial process to just be a "snow bump" with a cross and that's that. Didn't really pay any attention to physical details, but this is what I'd say is the best explanation. Just cover the bodies with a big pile of snow that'll freeze over time from being compressed. It doesn't have to be perfect or protect the body from a freaking bear, since it's still better then leaving them exposed. :)

My next concern is the technical implementation.
Say we find a body on the road. How do we burry it as a player? We hover over it and we'll get prompts to search and burry? If we burry it will it instantly fade to black and back and the body is replaced with a mound or do we get a "ghost mound" that we can place somewhere else and THEN it fades?
Now what if we find one in a building? We pick burry and we "pick it up" so we can "use" it outside or will buildings have predetermined "mound locations" where such bodies are automatically moved to, whichever is the closest? What if the location is already taken by another body the player deliberately put there to mess with the game? Guess those places should be "no burying zones". :P

• 1 month later...

What if you could earn extra feathers buy burying just the bodies in buildings with a bed and a workbench? Then there's a game play dynamic. More corpses producing feathers to make arrows with. The crows could land on the tombstones too if you want to add crow meat to the characters diet. It makes sense anyways. In real life, most people would at least remove the corpse from the room before going to sleep for the night.

Yeah, me too feels more comfortable to sleep in a house, when no dead body is in there as well. Kind of sucks, if i sleep in a bunk bed with a dead body above me. But for me it would be enough to move him out of the room and behind the hut. Out of sight, out of mind ... :P ... maybe he's still good as dog food in this case ...

Archived