New clothing items and new effects

Wastelander

Alright, let's do this. Fashion thread!

What kind of clothing items would you like to see in the game and why? Should bad clothes have more effects than just not doing their job properly?

• Balaclavas: We have several items for each slot, so why not for the scarf slot? Or maybe even give it its own mask slot? Gives a bit of temperature/windchill isolation, and maybe in the future prevents NPCs from recognizing you when you do bad things, which, if we're honest, we're all gonna do.
  • Shemags: An alternative to the scarf. Worse in keeping out the cold but better windchill protection.
  • Army boots: Lesser chance of spraining an ankle, but rather heavy.
  • Poncho: Uppermost clothing layer, useless against the cold but somewhat decent at blocking the wind.
  • On the topic of underwear: Worn out underwear could maybe give us a 'Chafing' condition that has to be treaded lest it infects.
  • Clothes in camo-pattern, to minimize the probability of visual identification.
  • Useless clothes to make 'shopping' more engaging: thin button-down-shirts, T-shirts with Justin Bieber on them, novelty underwear, things like these.
  • Rubber gloves that, when worn, slightly increase the quality of wound treatment.
  • Lumberjack shirts, because come on :D
  • Forester helmets. I own one of those and they offer decent protection against strikes.
  • Bad socks giving us a chance of blisters (speaking from experience here)
  • Overalls. They aren't better than a combination of pants + pullover, but they're easier to repair.
  • Chest rigs which allow you to carry a little more weight.
  • Gas masks (and places where you should use them)
  • Holsters (and a penalty to draw speed when you don't have 'em)
  • Mechanical watches (and not exactly knowing how many hours of daylight when you don't have it)

Just now, miah999 said:

Nice list...

But the one thing I want is the ability to dress like a homeless person. Wearing 6 shirts is almost as warm as one sweater.

Yeah, I understand the sentiment. Would have to come with a penalty though otherwise player's would just exploit it. Maybe reduced walking and/or work speed?

Reduced mobility would make sense, also there would still have to be limits, no wearing 15 pairs of pants, or anything crazy like that.

And of course always making sure that there are single articles of clothing better then six or a half dozen of the others.

Just now, miah999 said:

Next you'll be suggesting we wear log suits to protect us from wolves, like Wilson in Don't Starve. ^_^

Actually, in the early middle ages, poor peasants tied pieces of oak bark to their chests as makeshift armor :D but yeah, that doesn't have any place in TLD. 

I would like to see some level of protection added by clothing... A wolf bite is going to do a lot more damage if your wearing a light jacket vs a heavy pea coat. And more variety, even if it serves no real "purpose" would be great!

I remember the devs mentioning something about an overhaul of the clothing system, I'm interested to see what they're working on!

Sam

CAPES CAPES CAPES CAPES CAPES CAPES CAPES CAPES CAPES CAPES CAPES *deep breath* CAAAAAPES
*cough splutter*
1. Capes, Short ones, long ones, furry ones, hooded ones, stupid ones and swishy ones. 
2. Cloaks? Just like capes but more coaty.

3. Who needs proper armour when you can just use duct tape? Simply apply liberally to the area you don't want chomped and you're good to go. 

4, Proper knights armour. Because nothing beats a proper set of metal armour. Claymore not included.

I love the idea of mechanical watches or maybe a grandfather clock of some sort in one of the safehouses?

I really like this topic, but at the risk of being a Negative Neil (or Gloomy Gus, or Bob Bummer -- Google is fantastic for us people who don't have english as first language!), we could be in some sort of futile brainstorming here, since there's a "new clothing system and all new clothing assets" item listed in the roadmap, like @Rusty_Old_F250 mentioned. I would see this topic more as a suggestions list than as a wishlist, since the devs seem to have their own plans already on the way.

With that said...

I like the army boots. Sprains are quite annoying and I'd take the extra weight in order to minimize their chances.

I love the idea of mechanical watches. (Except they don't quite fit into the clothing category, do they? Do love them, though.)

I'm against the rubber gloves. I know the intention is different from this, but it reminds me of the players that take off their clothes before fighting wolves. I don't judge them, but any mechanism that encourages min-maxing should be limited. In a correlated train of thought, I like the fact we don't have to unload our rifles before cleaning them.

More importantly, I'd like the clothing system to force us to make harder choices. Currently it's just a matter of choosing between warmth and weight (and, in a lesser degree, repairability). Adding pieces that interact with other game variables -- such as sprains, speed/mobility, protection from teeth/claws, chance to being detected by noise/visuals/smell -- would be great.

32 minutes ago, Hiemalis said:

More importantly, I'd like the clothing system to force us to make harder choices. Currently it's just a matter of choosing between warmth and weight (and, in a lesser degree, repairability). Adding pieces that interact with other game variables -- such as sprains, speed/mobility, protection from teeth/claws, chance to being detected by noise/visuals/smell -- would be great.

Yeah, this precisely. Once I find an expedition parka I'm set until I slay enough wolves.

Camouflage could be something big - hunters don't wear camo/olive for no reason. Also, military surplus gear is readily avalable commercially (I own a Bundeswehr-parka and use it as a rain jacket, a US M65 Woodland parka for colder weather and a pair of Schneetarn-pants, see below)

M84Snow.jpg

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

Camouflage could be something big - hunters don't wear camo/olive for no reason. Also, military surplus gear is readily avalable commercially (I own a Bundeswehr-parka and use it as a rain jacket, a US M65 Woodland parka for colder weather and a pair of Schneetarn-pants, see below)

Yes, they do. Camo plays far lesser role compared to motion and scent when hunting. If you have one, fine; if you dont, wont make that much of a difference anyway.

Oh, this thread fills me with excitement. I have been thinking quite often how the variety of clothing is sparse, and I would love to see so much more. (The same can be said about food items, but I digress) Particularly if they are going to implement seasons and heat management, I am excited to see clothing appropriate for warm and hot weather as well. A cotton t-shirt does almost nothing for you in the winter, but come summer when you have the opposite problem it could be a welcome relief. Or you could just harvest it for cloth. I am +10 for the OP list. Make 'shopping' more engaging xD

Deer likely can't sense that orange anyway. Almost all mammals except primates can't sense reddish colors, only blue and yellow. Due to the mainly nocturnal activity of early mammals, our whole taxon has lost the gene encoding the red-related third retina cone type during evolution. And only primates later on re-acquired a 'replacement' cone to sense red (again). :winky:

On 8/7/2016 at 11:17 AM, Wastelander said:

Camouflage could be something big - hunters don't wear camo/olive for no reason...

Unfortunately that reason is marketing, all the old school hunters I know don't use camo, scent-masking, or any of these things modern hunters say are indispensable. They bag their limit every year without fail.

However, if they add a good mil-surplus coat as you suggest, then I won't complain if it's camo, but it should have no affect on the hunting.

Anywho...

Something that added some level of protection would be nice though, like a good quality biker jacket, may not prevent bites but may lessen them. Some of the really good ones are near knife-proof, but again you have to ask, "how likely would this be to find?"

Okay everyone, I admit it, I was wrong on the camouflage. :D

1 hour ago, miah999 said:

Something that added some level of protection would be nice though, like a good quality biker jacket, may not prevent bites but may lessen them. Some of the really good ones are near knife-proof, but again you have to ask, "how likely would this be to find?"

Probably more likely than several rifles, I might think. Although I haven't seen a bike in the sandbox yet...

But yeah, protection as a minor stat would be cool. Not as far as kevlar vests or something, but around the lines you mentioned.

Yeah, no bikes in game yet, so maybe no hardcore J-rocket owners living in PV. ^_^

And your right about the body armor style vests and the like, unless we run in to a Canadian National Guard equivalent road block, we'd be unlikely to see such things. 

Even among law enforcement here in rural America those vests are not ubiquitous, and where I live you can carry a concealed gun without a permit!

Now while I don't want this game to turn it to some military sim, a set of craft-able metal arm guards would be easy to make, and impossible to bite through.

But then you get into questions of balance, a lot of folks think the wolves are too easy as it is, yet there are those who think they're too dangerous.

We know the devs are thinking about a clothing overhaul, it's in the road-map, but it's really unclear what they really mean by that.

Guess we'll have to wait and see if any of your good ideas line up with their's.

Even with a heavy coat the crushing power of a wolf's jaws should still cause significant bruising and possible fractures. Then once you're pulled to the ground the real fun starts... Also, I thought Hinterlands already added a variable to reduce injury depending on the clothes you wear? I could have sworn I saw that in a change log a few months back...

And I can attest that while camo helps when hunting (it makes an animal less likely to see your accidental movements while waiting) it is definitely not essential.

Things I would like to see added for clothing are:

• Wolf fur hats
  • turtle necks
  • neck warmers
  • Snow pants (wear over pants and long underwear)
  • Wool pants (especially if moisture is ever added to the game)
  • Wool mittens

The entire notion that animals somehow can't see you if you wear camouflage is nonsense. All camo does is break up your outline and blend you into the background. Which would be perfect .....

If the almost-overwhelming-majority of animals, both predators and prey, didn't have highly receptive senses of smell. Plus, they don't exactly look up.

Hunters wear camo and olive/green colors often for the simple fact that those are the colors/patterns that military surplus comes in, and military surplus is cheap.  That is it.

Most animals, both predators and prey, are attracted to movement before coloration. I have snuck up on a deer wearing a bright white and yellow T-shirt, by being downwind, being quiet, and freezing whenever it looked at me. I got within 10 or so feet before I triggered the OHSHIT reflex and sent it bounding away

And, asides from throwing on multiple layers (like, "Medieval Gambeson 15-20 layers" amount) of thick wool clothing, nothing will really prevent you from getting damaged by wolf bites and bear claws. Sure, the clothing might prevent you from getting cut by teeth/claws, but you are still going to feel the force of the bite/blow. 

I don't really think we need all that much more clothing, asides from a fur hat and some wool pants, but I would like to see the possible implementation of "stuffing" clothing with insulative materials, like birchbark, cattail fluff or crumpled newspaper. It is a real-life survival technique, used to stay warm, and I have done it before with great success.

6 hours ago, Boston123 said:

I don't really think we need all that much more clothing, asides from a fur hat and some wool pants, but I would like to see the possible implementation of "stuffing" clothing with insulative materials, like birchbark, cattail fluff or crumpled newspaper. It is a real-life survival technique, used to stay warm, and I have done it before with great success.

That's an interesting point, since all the insulative items you mentioned are already in the game, so that might be easy to add. Is there any special technique to it or does it work like stuffing my boots with rags when my socks are too thin?

I can attest to lots of layers not really working against bites, as I was bitten by a dog on a snow day once. I had about four or five layers on and the bastard sunk his teeth right through to my elbow. Admittedly the layers helped, but he still drew blood regardless.

+1 Ponchos, lumberjack shirts, turtlenecks, holsters, overalls.

BEARPONCHO! Leo made that shit look good in the Revenant!

15 minutes ago, LloydNoise said:

BEARPONCHO! Leo made that shit look good in the Revenant!

Especially this. I, personally, never really saw any need for a bearskin bedroll, so let's make ol' Pooh into something useful!

15 minutes ago, LloydNoise said:

I can attest to lots of layers not really working against bites, as I was bitten by a dog on a snow day once. I had about four or five layers on and the bastard sunk his teeth right through to my elbow. Admittedly the layers helped, but he still drew blood regardless.

Yeah, that's what the current system is about I guess - it softens the blow, but it's still a serious injury. Still, could be worse.

On a side note, "Could be worse" needs to be a voice line for both characters when between 80-99% condition.

Archived