New clothing items and new effects

Wastelander

17 minutes ago, LloydNoise said:

BEARPONCHO! Leo made that shit look good in the Revenant!

Especially this. I, personally, never really saw any need for a bearskin bedroll, so let's make ol' Pooh into something useful!

17 minutes ago, LloydNoise said:

I can attest to lots of layers not really working against bites, as I was bitten by a dog on a snow day once. I had about four or five layers on and the bastard sunk his teeth right through to my elbow. Admittedly the layers helped, but he still drew blood regardless.

Yeah, that's what the current system is about I guess - it softens the blow, but it's still a serious injury. Still, could be worse.

On a side note, "Could be worse" needs to be a voice line for both characters when between 80-99% condition.

On 7.8.2016 at 0:56 PM, Shyassasain said:

4, Proper knights armour. Because nothing beats a proper set of metal armour. Claymore not included.

Also, there's a big no here for a few reasons:

• They would, with the current weight mechanics, take up all your weight and then a bit. They aren't as heavy as fiction likes to portray them (I wore full plate armor in full-contact-combat for a few hours once and I was fine, and I am by no means fit), but they still weigh you down.
  • Metal on your body amplifies whatever negative temperature effects - warm or cold - you get.
  • Canadas medieeval history is confined to a small viking settlement that apparently died out, and that was founded in a time way before knights armour was made - back then it was mostly gambesons, chainmail and helmets, none of which can withstand any kind of piercing attack which include bites.
  • The region we play in doesn't have a history museum and quite frankly it doesn't need to.

1 minute ago, Wastelander said:

Especially this. I, personally, never really saw any need for a bearskin bedroll, so let's make ol' Pooh into something useful!

I think the bearskin bedroll is there for game balancing reasons. We have yet to see what the new clothing system looks like, but at the present state, if the devs added more clothing slots (such as cloaks or ponchos), it would (a) minimize the harsh weather threat for veteran players and/or (b) penalize even more the new players, demanding them to find more pieces of clothing in order to survive.

With the bearskin bedroll, they're saying "okay, so you want to be better prepared for exploring further and inevitably sleeping outdoors; we have this wandering hungry bear here." It's a non-unbalacing bonus for players willing to take the risk.

1 minute ago, Wastelander said:

On a side note, "Could be worse" needs to be a voice line for both characters when between 80-99% condition.

+1, definitely!

I like making up new voice lines for our survivors, but I'll save them for another thread, don't wanna hog the spotlight here :D

Personally, I never made a bearskin bedroll. There's plenty of shelter, both indoors and outdoors, everywhere, just need to find a wind-protected area and make a large enough fire. But yeah, that's just me and maybe I was just lucky with the weather, so your mileage may vary.

I think we haven't discussed the forestry helmets yet I mentioned in my first post. While they won't stop a wolf attack, they could probably prevent wounds to the head. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

I think we haven't discussed the forestry helmets yet I mentioned in my first post. While they won't stop a wolf attack, they could probably prevent wounds to the head. Any ideas?

They would prevent head injuries but since there's nothing in the current game that drops on your head they're not really needed. If falling rocks/branches are added in a future update then a forester's helmet or a miner's helmet with headlamp would be good additions.

I posted some suggestions for new clothing items back on another thread last year.  You can click the link if you want check out the details about the apparel: Clothing Suggestions.

• Rabbit Fur Cap
  • Balavaca (i.e. Ski Mask)
  • Salapoettes (i.e. Ski Pants)
  • Baseball / Trucker Cap
  • Hunter's Cap
  • Improvised Scarf
  • Fleece Blanket
  • Wool Blanket

Oh, and if they ever decide to add foxes to the game:  Fox Fur Cap. ("They'd make oh so comfortable hats.")

On 8-8-2016 at 4:14 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Purpose of that vest is not to get shot by accident by another hunter. Thats why they are made in such aggressive colors.

Yes, that's the purpose of that vest.

What I was trying to point out is that if camo really made a difference in hunting, hunters would not wear reflective bright orange vests...

10 hours ago, elloco999 said:

Yes, that's the purpose of that vest.

What I was trying to point out is that if camo really made a difference in hunting, hunters would not wear reflective bright orange vests...

Which is why hunter orange is mandated by law in most jurisdictions. If you're using a rifle you don't have a choice.

Again, camo helps... but not as much as advertising would have you think.

14 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @Rusk! ^_^

Knitting would be neat. I wonder where you'd get the wool though...

Thanks!

You could always unravel some of these hats that are always lying around, and knit a nice scarf or mittens, maybe a balaclava. 

• 3 months later...

Talk of the work-in-progress clothing UI for story mode makes things look somewhat promising for sandbox. I have very high hopes for this game. I've talked about my desire for unique environments, clutter, and the feeling of a living/lived-in world. Being able to search through a closet with interactivity and just see what's in there, whether it's a useful object or just part of the scenery - and I want scenery. Like a slinky black dress that you can take and wear, just for funs. Mundane, useless stuff that you can pick up just because you want it.

I'm also really hoping that rain will be implemented, and that will further enrich the clothing wetness system that has come into play. Finding an outer layer with waterproofing, or some other way to keep yourself dry

1 hour ago, iSUGGESTthings said:

I'm also really hoping that rain will be implemented, and that will further enrich the clothing wetness system that has come into play. Finding an outer layer with waterproofing, or some other way to keep yourself dry

Freezing rain is the absolute worst. You're soaked and constantly falling down. Not to mention it's super dangerous.

12 hours ago, iSUGGESTthings said:

Mundane, useless stuff that you can pick up just because you want it.

Why I can't be trusted with money in a nutshell :D but yeah, I like that. And it could still be used as a cloth source. Fallout 3 and New Vegas did that rather nicely with the TONS of clutter in the game that, at the very least, could be used as ammo for the rockit launcher.

On 11/17/2016 at 0:58 PM, cekivi said:

Freezing rain is the absolute worst. You're soaked and constantly falling down. Not to mention it's super dangerous.

Then they'll have another reason to work out that slipping and falling animation, won't they? More challenges and significant dangers are desirable, in my opinion.

Archived